PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Now!!!

Nutkin
09-02-2007, 10:53 AM
About 5-6 week old Grey Squirrell, cat bite around chest area, bleeding under control, wounds have been cleaned and antibiotic ointment allpied. Keeping warm, have given some Pedialite. Any Advice?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Nutkin, I pm'd you about antibiotcs, if you dont have a vet that will treat or no antibiotics of your own on hand you may need to get baby to a rehabber for meds a.s.a.p.!! What part of the state are you in?
Needs meds as in today their systems shut down fairly fast that young.

Apple Corps
09-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Nutkin - I suspect that rippie has covered this already but about 1/3 of cats carry a bacteria in their saliva called Pastuerella - and it is deadly to squirrels if they are bitten. It is a gram negative bacteria and your lil fuzzer needs to be put on antibiotics now. rippie has suggested some - correct?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
:thumbsup just pm'd some choices! Nutkin dont forget we will also need a weight and if you are able to get antibiotics we need the strength per dose.

Nutkin
09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I am checking on a possible vet, but we have no friendly rehabber near. The only local rehab center wanted to feed my NutNut to their birds of prey when she was little! I won't take anything to them. If anybody knows somebody friendly, I am in the Birmingham, AL area. Thanks!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Alabama, Central region, Shelby County (Birmingham)..... 205-621-3333

The Wildlife Center (formerly the Alabama Wildlife Rehabilitation Center)
Wildlife Species: The Wildlife Center receives 2,500 injured and
orphaned wild birds, mammals and reptiles of over 100 species annually. Animals
include raptors (eagles, hawks, owls) and other birds (songbirds, water and shore
birds), mammals (cougar, fox, bobcat, bats, deer, etc.) and reptiles (alligators,
turtles).
Specialties/Knowledge: Raptor rehabilitation, raising juvenile raptors,
reuniting baby birds and mammals with their parents.
Comments: The Wildlife Center is Alabama's oldest and largest wildlife
rehabilitation and education center. Each year the Center cares for over 2,000 injured
and orphaned native wild creatures, using special rehabilitation techniques tailored to
the needs of each animal patient, so that they can recover and return to the wild.
Alabama, Central region, Shelby County (Birmingham)..... 205-403-7394

Mary Stockard, home licensed wildlife rehabilitator
Specialty: small mammals, also assist with volunteer training and writing
instructional materials
Alabama, Central region, Shelby County (Birmingham)..... 205-664-3349

Sharon Posey, volunteer foster parent-small mammals, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
sposey@ietravel.com
Wildlife Species: small mammals
Specialty: squirrels, oppossums, and rabbits
Comments: also a member of the raptor transport team
Alabama, Central region, Jefferson County (Birmingham, S. Roebuck/CenterPoint)..... 205-836-0251

Rae S. Long, RN, foster parent, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
alanursern@bellsouth.net
Wildlife Species: all small mammals
Specialty: squirrels, flying squirrels, opossums, raccoons, and rabbits
Comments: Home 24/7 QUICK return answers to emails

I would try these 2quick!
Sharon Posey, volunteer foster parent-small mammals, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
sposey@ietravel.com
Wildlife Species: small mammals
Specialty: squirrels, oppossums, and rabbits
Comments: also a member of the raptor transport team
Alabama, Central region, Jefferson County (Birmingham, S. Roebuck/CenterPoint)..... 205-836-0251

Rae S. Long, RN, foster parent, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
alanursern@bellsouth.net
Wildlife Species: all small mammals
Specialty: squirrels, flying squirrels, opossums, raccoons, and rabbits
Comments: Home 24/7 QUICK return answers to emails

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 11:32 AM
If you need help calling anyone just let me know.
I emailed Rae Long/never mind email is bad.

Nutkin
09-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I just finished emailing him too. The wildlife rehab center in Shelby Co. is the one who tried to kill my NutNut!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Rae Long is no good it came back undeliverable.

Alabama, Central region, Shelby County (Birmingham)..... 205-664-3349

try this lady, at this point the outlook for the squirrel is bad I think you may need to take another chance.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
BRB gotta feed the troops!!

Nutkin
09-02-2007, 11:56 AM
We are on the phone with Sharon Posey now. We will keep you posted.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I hope it works out and you can find the little guy a good rehabber with the antibiotics he needs!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 12:35 PM
:peace fingers crossed!!

Nutkin
09-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Could not find a rehabber to take him. Sharon Posey is sick and said she is not taking anything right now. I have found a friendly vet and am taking him now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for everything!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 02:12 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup Goodluck keep us posted!! Suggest the meds that I pm'd you!!

Apple Corps
09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
rippie - what meds did you suggest for cat bites - Clavamox? It would be great for us to have a "sticky" on the suggested antibiotics and dosage for various injuries (wounds / cat bites / pneumonia / ?)

pamela lee
09-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Good luck finding help for this sweet baby. Be sure and keep us posted.

Nutkin
09-02-2007, 06:32 PM
We found a squirrel friendly vet nearby. Vet gave antibiotics and steriod shot. Vet said little one has a chance- Keep fingers crossed. Thanks so much to everyone!!!!!:thankyou :thankyou

Vet is at Riverview Animal Clinic located on Hwy 280 in Birmingham AL. Phone number is 205-991-9580. They said we could post this info in case anyone else needs it.:thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Keep us updated Nutkin!!:thumbsup
BTW Thank you for all the good care and taking baby to vet to get him the help he needs!

Apple Corps
09-02-2007, 06:54 PM
That is great NEWS - thanks for caring for fuzzers :jump

BTW - not out of the woods yet but I am thinking POSITIVE :flash3 :flash3 :flash3 :flash3

Nutkin
09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Little baby made it through the night! :jump He got to fighting the syringe really bad though. He would only take about .5 ml and that was a struggle to get down him, so we switched to the dropper and he's doing MUCH better eating. He 's getting about 3 - 4 ml now without fussing. :) NutNut thrived on her dropper and wouldn't touch anything else. They sure can be finicky!:shakehead Maybe this baby will do as well. Keep him in your thoughts and hearts please. Thanks so much for all the help yesterday! I'll keep you posted.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Nutkin, how is he doing with laying on the heating pad?
Its gonna be a struggle but keep trying to get nutrition in him.
You can get him better with quality care around the clock!! You can do it, hugs and prayers!!

Nutkin
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Baby is staying warm. He was staying on his heating pad fairly well, until this morning and kept trying to get off. I thought he was getting too hot, but his body was cooler than it should have been. I warmed him up inside my robe, then put him back and the same thing again. So I decided that maybe he wanted to be near me and associated my scent with compfort, so I gave him my sleepshirt and now he is staying put quite contentedly. Spoiled squirrel!:Love_Icon I'm feeding him every three hrs. Should I go every two, or is three ok. Have to ask, NutNut was a pig from the get go!:shakehead

Nutkin
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
I finally got some pics.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Nut he needs the heating pad, this is very important...his body is very stressed and in shock.
There is no human body heat that will replace the heating pad...try not to hold him, I know its hard to do but best for him.
Think quiet, dark and warm!! Give him a stuffed animal to curl up to.
Add this to the frequent feedings (even though smaller)
Keep us updated.:thumbsup
You can give him some pedialyte in between feedings. Just double checking you do have Esbilac right?

Nutkin
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Baby has a Beanie Baby my daughter gave him to snuggle with. He's staying put much better since I gave him my sleepshirt.
The formula is the Esbilac ya'll recommended.
Thanks!!!!!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Ok great!:grouphug

Nutkin
09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey Gammas- Thanks for the advise. He is staying "under wraps" for the most part now, but I will add a towel over the box ( it's tall enough he can't climb the covers out ) he is in. My house stays relatively quiet, even with a younger child in it. She is not a loud one and is especially quiet when she comes around baby's box. I have to give her praise for that! :flash3 Baby is eating a bit more now. He just finished off 6ml, so the appetite is improving. YEAH!!!:D :D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Good news!! Make sure you give pedialyte also Nut,the antibiotics are dehydrating the good news is the antibiotic you got won't upset his tummy like others do! Try feeding him more often is he will only take small amounts.

LynninIN
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
You are doing a great job Nutkin. :thumbsup

I just want to make sure you are not using a regular bath towel to cover the cage. Towels, terrycloth or loosely woven fabrics are not recommended because the squirrels nails can get caught in the loops. Thanks to you, the little squirrel is feeling better and will start to move around more. If your baby is 5 or 6 weeks it can and will climb. Some type of tightly woven fabric like flannel or fleece is best.

Nutkin
09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Baby is moving around and feeding better now. He has increased his intake to between 5 and 6ml at a time. I will definitely be covering his box with a fleece blanket instead of a towel now. Don't want those little claws caught in it! Thanks for the reminder:)