PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding nutrition and the Esbilac problems....

Shinys
04-20-2020, 12:15 PM
So I've fostered squirrels before, and recently was brought two little ones. They are eyes open now, and seem to be thriving with me. I've got them in a nest in a cage, with some (as of yet unneeded) toys hanging from the top. I use a ceramic heating bulb with a thermostat so that it doesn't overheat them. THey've been eating and pottying well, and are starting to climb me during feedings, and in general are growing well. That all being said, I've been using Esbilac and wasn't aware of the problems that were had in the fall. I purchased the big can of Esbilac from my local pet store, don't seem to be having any kind of resudu (other than normal seperation of fat in the fridge) left over, and am somewhat worried about the little guys. I don't want any MDB issues. They've been growing rapidly, and not shown any signs.... but the big banner across the top was enough to make me sign up for an account and ask about it. Any thoughts?

Spanky
04-20-2020, 12:36 PM
Eyes open I would switch to Fox Valley 20/50 as soon as possible. I fear using the Esbilac is playing with deadly fire...
https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-day-one-formula-20-50-for-baby-squirrels/

Did you click the banner and read about the Esbilac issues?

Shinys
04-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I did.

CritterMom
04-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Order the 20/50 from Henry's. If I were you, at the same time I would get some of the squirrel blocks for them to wean on: https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ - the first three items on the page are what you want - everyone seems to love the hazelnut blocks. They have all sorts of nursing supplies too - syringes, nipples, etc. The flat rate shipping will be the same with these additional items. Henry's ships SUPER FAST - it won't be like Amazon these days where you get stuff a month later. I ordered a TON of blocks when the COVID stuff started, since I didn't know if they would have problems with their supply chain for the ingredients, and It was on my porch 3 days later...

The major issues with Esbilac and MBD is cumulative. If they are digesting it without diarrhea, etc., you will only have a few more days of using it before you can transition to the 20/50.

Shinys
04-20-2020, 01:41 PM
Ok, I've ordered the blocks, and the formula. I picked up a lot of the 1cc syringes from my local pharmacy the day the babies were brought to me, I never use bigger than that. :) I should probably mention, I've had about every animal there is... from sugar gliders up to horses. I've rehabed baby birds, bottle fed squirrels before, cats, puppies... so while my account is super new, I'm to new to this game. haha. I've looked into getting a licence and working with our zoo here, but for the one off rescue every few years, it's a bit much, and there are no real classes around here that one has to take, so I'll just keep driving any endangered animals or bigger rescues to places that are equipped take them. I don't like having to drive the five hours to the big city, but sometimes it's necessary. I'm glad to have found a new (to me, I see the forums are 20 years old) place full of like-minded people. :) :glomp