PDA

View Full Version : Awkward borderline stupid question...please be nice

Chips-mom
04-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Do squirrels have issues with passing gas? Anyone noticed anything? I'm being serious, it's an actual question not a joke.

CritterMom
04-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Anything with bowels can pass gas! Babies can sometimes get bloat from issues with their formula and we have ways to actually make them pass gas to get rid of it.

Chips-mom
04-13-2020, 11:06 AM
Lol I know it was a silly question but the past couple days have been awful with my baby girl, well shes not a baby anymore but she'll always be my baby. Shes eating fine (HHB picky blocks) but she has horrible gas, smell could clear a room lol, and shes a bit lethargic. I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to Chippy.

RockyPops
04-13-2020, 07:59 PM
It may not be normal for that strong of a smell. Did she get into something? Acting sick?

Any looseness to her stool?

Chips-mom
04-14-2020, 06:45 AM
No looseness in her stool but I'm getting more and more worried. Today we noticed shes tender, like she grunts when picked up. Shes not acting like herself and its scaring the hell out of me. Shes still eating fine but shes very lethargic and does not want to stay out of her bed long at all. I think she needs a vet visit. Please, anyone know of a good reputable vet in the texarkana arkansas area????

RockyPops
04-14-2020, 07:16 AM
How old is she?

Pics?

Mom knows best! Follow your instincts!

Keep checking back for help.

Chips-mom
04-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Shes 7 years old. 314385314386

Chips-mom
04-14-2020, 07:39 AM
In our area its extremely hard to find a vet who will see and treat squirrels. I need any help I can get finding a vet who cares and will help her.

Chips-mom
04-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Update on Chippy. Shes still very uncomfortable and moody. I have found a vet who will see her tomorrow. Fingers and hearts crossed she will help her.

CritterMom
04-14-2020, 02:01 PM
Please let us know how it goes.

RockyPops
04-14-2020, 07:47 PM
Thanks for being persistent mom. Sorry we couldn't recommend any one sooner.

Keep us posted please.

Chips-mom
04-15-2020, 11:33 AM

So I am the worst mother ever. We are all better. Turns out she had gingivitis and her bottom teeth were slightly overgrown. Dr said her top teeth were just nubs and her bottom teeth were overgrown slightly. No parasites though. Antibiotics and pain medications for 10 days. Shes still a little tender when pet, but the dr didnt say anything about that. If it continues after her medicines we will go back to have it checked out.

Chips-mom
04-15-2020, 11:35 AM
She recommends giving her medicine with some applesauce. Is that safe?? Organic of course.

Diggie's Friend
04-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Hang in there!

What a cute widdle face she has!!

Chirps
04-15-2020, 12:07 PM
You're a good Mom! Seven years? :clap And you sought and got help for your Baby. She's beautiful.

Chips-mom
04-15-2020, 12:37 PM
Thank you 😁 I just wish I could have noticed her teeth were getting long before she started hurting. Dont like my little squee being in pain. Anyone have recommendations on giving squirrels medications in syringes? Dr said we could mix the antibiotic with applesauce but I want to make certain that's safe first. Any rehabbers have advice??

Mel1959
04-15-2020, 07:36 PM
Applesauce is safe, but the way I’ve always given meds is to burrito them with a blanket and squirt the medicine in their mouth. That way you know each time you give a dose that they’ve gotten the full dose. Some medication tastes pretty bad, like Baytril,so pulling up the medication into a syringe and then dipping the tip of the syringe in something sweet like honey, corn syrup or maple syrup, will help to camouflage the taste.

Did the Dr. offer any idea why the top teeth were nubs? Did she do an X-ray? Sometimes when the top teeth stop growing outward they can begin to grow inward. It creates odontomas in the teeth and if they grow aggressively inward surgery is necessary to remove the tooth. As the teeth grow inward they can penetrate the nasal cavity.

Florida has a vet that has done the surgery many times and is one of the best in the country should you need her assistance. Dr. Alicia Emerson, Ravenwood Vet Clinic, Port Orange, FL.

Chips-mom
04-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Oh my goodness!!! 😱😱😱😱 no she didnt do an x-ray, I knew about overgrowing into the opposite side if they weren't kept filed down but had no idea they could grow the other way!!
*internal freakout intensifies*
She gave us enrofloxacin .1cc daily as the antibiotic and Metacam .4cc daily for pain and inflammation.
I'm hoping that her bottom teeth were just overwhelming the top ones, and I'll try to do a better job at keeping tabs on her teeth. Now I'm really worried though and may take her back sooner than 10 days to see if that is the case.