PDA

View Full Version : My 3 year old squirrel I think is sick

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 09:28 AM
I have a 3 year old squirrel that I think is sick or something is going on. He's been larthgic and not wanting to eat he is drinking and still going to the bathroom. I notice he had some dry blood coming from his nose and his eyes just look like he's sick. He eats a variety of fruits and vegs and has a cuttle bone and squirrel blocks he drinks water from a bottle. I'm in NH and have no vet around that deals with squirrels...
Any ideas on what to do

TubeDriver
02-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Can you post up a photo of him? It sounds like he may have had a fall? How many rodent blocks does he actually eat per day? What type? Thanks.

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 10:05 AM
I will post a picture in alittle bit I just put him back in his cage and he's sleeping in his box and he's buried in his bedding so I can't get a good one at the moment. The blocks he has right now our exotic nutrition rodent blocks and he has 2-3 a day....I haven't seen him fall in his cage and when he's out he hasn't fallen but not sure if he has during the night in his cage

CritterMom
02-26-2020, 10:19 AM
I believe that your squirrel may have metabolic bone disease. Unfortunately, most of the foods the Exotic Nutrition sells are very low quality. Weakness from the MBD may have caused him to take a fall (the blood from the nose).

Please read this and begin:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17680-Emergency-Treatment-for-MBD-(Updated-3-31-09)

May I suggest a MUCH, much better food - most of us buy this and use it for our squirrels:

https://www.henryspets.com/diets/ The first three items are what you want. The hazelnut is very popular. 2-3 blocks per day are fed. They are made from all human grad ingredients and are also made to appeal to their tastes. Your guy would probably love them after having had only the exotic nutrition stuff.

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 10:33 AM
I did try with a flavor Tums last night and he wouldn't take it. I know he has been chewing on his cuttle bone. I will try again with the Tums I just have to find a syringe I'm not sure I have anymore..I was thinking he might have pnenumia but he is not clicking when breathing or sneezing. Just very larthgic and not his usual self! He did have a piece of avacodo the other night that he hasn't had before because I've heard different opinions on being toxic to squirrels and just seems like after the next morning is when I notice he wasn't feeling good..do squirrels get like the common cold? In the past 3 years he's never been sick..I don't get paid till next week so I'll have to see if I can somehow get him better blocks before then

Nancy in New York
02-26-2020, 11:22 AM
He did have a piece of avacodo the other night that he hasn't had before because I've heard different opinions on being toxic to squirrels and just seems like after the next morning is when I notice he wasn't feeling good.

The skin and the pit are toxic to squirrels.
He didn't have any of either, did he?

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 12:46 PM
My daughter feed him that night and I didn't know she gave him the avacodo she said it was 2 small pieces and it had no skin on it but I can't be 100% positive.

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 12:59 PM
I don't know what's going on with him and he's never acted like this before and he doesn't want to come out of his box even for a pecan if you put it up to the box he takes it and buries it

RockyPops
02-26-2020, 01:08 PM
If he will eat avocado, try some un-flavored tums powder scraped off and mixed with avocado meat. Trouble is, I don't know how much to mix in.

Someone will chime in with an administration method!

Thanks for caring for your baby!

What's his name?

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 01:38 PM
His name is buddy...this picture was from a few weeks ago

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 01:55 PM
I've tried giving him all his favorite foods and his treats he won't take anything i have him out and he's running around fine but something isn't right with how he looks

TubeDriver
02-26-2020, 02:22 PM
It sounds like there are two main possibilities here:

1) MBD which is possible since the blocks he has been getting are not all that balanced and nutritious.

2) He got some avocado skin and has been poisoned.

Going through the MBD protocol with calcium/tums and getting him on a better diet (Henrys or Teklad block) will NOT harm him in any way so I would start this just to be safe and for his long term health.

But the fact that he suddenly became ill after being fed avocado (within 24 hours) makes me suspect that he got some skin/pit and has been poisoned. Just too much of a coincidence to ignore. You can try to keep him well hydrated and hopefully he did not eat to much of the skin.

So I would treat as if both MBD and avocado skin poisoning has occurred. You mentioned that he does not "look right"? What are you noticing?

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 02:41 PM
He didn't get any of the pit but she sliced peices off and cut the skin so I'm not positive if she missed any she never cut one before so she wasn't sure and I was planning on cutting it up today on my day off... avacodo went in the trash....he's drinking fine but he's not eating and he's larthgic and his eyes look sick almost like when a kid gets sick you notice it in their eyes he just wants to be left alone I did have him out with us and he ran all around but he also just cuddled into me and he never does that he wants to be flying all around the house. I did wipe a tiny but of blood of his nose not alot just a tiny bit I need to order him blocks but I don't get paid till next week.

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 02:44 PM
With the Tums he won't take from a dropper and if I add it to his water he won't drink it I tried putting alittle peanut butter on the end of the dropper and he wouldn't touch it I'm not sure how else to get more calcium in him when he won't take it anyway

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 02:46 PM
If it was from the avacodo she sliced it from the top so it was tiny slices
This is so frustrating because I don't know if he is posioned or lack of calicum or what is going on 😔😔

TubeDriver
02-26-2020, 03:51 PM
I would just treat as if it was both. Check his teeth and make sure they did not get broken or damaged in the fall, that might explain why he is not eating.

To be direct, I am not sure there is much you can do about the possible avocado poisoning at this point. You can be supportive, try to keep him hydrated and hope he recovers all right.

If money is tight, I would recommend the Teklad blocks. The Henry's block are really popular and excellent but do cost more money. The Teklad blocks do not taste as good but do provide the nutrition needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Envigo-Formerly-Harlan-Teklad-GROWTH/dp/B00N0EPSJQ?th=1

If it was from the avacodo she sliced it from the top so it was tiny slices
This is so frustrating because I don't know if he is posioned or lack of calicum or what is going on 😔😔

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 04:27 PM
He's been drinking on and off all day so hopefully he keeps drinking. I will look into the other blocks until next week. This dude's got me worried right now but I keep checking for any new symptoms and he's still the same no better but not any worse as I can tell

Amy143terry
02-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Those blocks will take a week to ship to me with the free shipping I also only have under ten on my debit card for online..ugh everything always happens when it's not a pay week and everything else comes up. Maybe I can make some home made ones for now

Nancy in New York
02-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Those blocks will take a week to ship to me with the free shipping I also only have under ten on my debit card for online..ugh everything always happens when it's not a pay week and everything else comes up. Maybe I can make some home made ones for now

PM me your name and address and
I will send some out tomorrow, if you want.
I always have plenty on hand since the Henry's Picky Blocks are the
only ones mine will eat.

Amy143terry
02-28-2020, 08:06 AM
He's doing alot better this morning running all around and definitely doesn't want to cuddle just go go go...I think it must of been the few pieces of avacodo. I'm going to get him Henry's blocks next week and awesome nancy has sent out some blocks until I can get him his new ones...thank you all for the concern and help and recommendations..been a rough few days but I think he's definitely on the mend

frankc
02-28-2020, 08:18 AM
He's doing alot better this morning running all around and definitely doesn't want to cuddle just go go go...I think it must of been the few pieces of avacodo. I'm going to get him Henry's blocks next week and awesome nancy has sent out some blocks until I can get him his new ones...thank you all for the concern and help and recommendations..been a rough few days but I think he's definitely on the mend

Great News !!!! :dance

Nancy in New York
02-28-2020, 08:49 AM

I am thrilled to read this! :w00t
You will get the blocks tomorrow. I forgot to tell you
to keep these in the freezer and take out 2 the night before,
and put them in a little container in the refrig. These blocks
have no preservatives, so we have to keep them frozen or
in the refrig. once we get them.
I sent a whole bag, so since he only gets two daily, along with
fresh veggies from the approved "list", the bag should last you
a month.
Let's hope your little one likes them. They are the best blocks
around.

Just in case you don't have it, a link to the healthy diet pyramid.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Chirps
02-28-2020, 11:37 AM
So happy to hear he is better! Any chance of pics or videos? :grin2

Thank you so much to Nancy in New York for hooking Buddy up with the good eats!

RockyPops
02-28-2020, 12:27 PM

:oldwise

Ditto this.....

and what about the teeth condition and nose bleed?

Amy143terry
03-02-2020, 06:35 PM
I am thrilled to read this! :w00t
You will get the blocks tomorrow. I forgot to tell you
to keep these in the freezer and take out 2 the night before,
and put them in a little container in the refrig. These blocks
have no preservatives, so we have to keep them frozen or
in the refrig. once we get them.
I sent a whole bag, so since he only gets two daily, along with
fresh veggies from the approved "list", the bag should last you
a month.
Let's hope your little one likes them. They are the best blocks
around.

Just in case you don't have it, a link to the healthy diet pyramid.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Thank you so much nancy for the blocks and blankets and the information for them. You're a life saver!

Amy143terry
03-02-2020, 06:36 PM
:oldwise

Ditto this.....

and what about the teeth condition and nose bleed?

I'm off tomorrow so will get pics n video tomorrow.
His teeth are perfect and never seen anymore blood just that tiny bit when I first notice something wasn't right with him

Amy143terry
03-02-2020, 06:37 PM

Be on the lookout tomorrow for pics and video I'm off work tomorrow...
Yes Nancy is awesome and so very thankful for her and her help!!!❤️😊

Nancy in New York
03-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Thank you so much nancy for the blocks and blankets and the information for them. You're a life saver!

You are very welcome.:blowkiss
I'm glad your little one is doing so much better.
I can't wait to see your little darling, you know
we LOVE pictures, oh and videos too!