PDA

View Full Version : Help catching squirrel

Kelster
08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
I had a flying squirrel fall down my fireplace flue into my basement. He/she is now hiding in the rafters. I tried to catch it with a double sided have a hart trap but the food is always gone, but there is no squirrel in the trap. Can anyone suggest another way to catch this little critter so I can return it to the outside world?

Buddy'sMom
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
:wave123 and :Welcome

I'm guessing the flying squirrel doesn't have enough weight to trigger the trap to close. Sorry I have no suggestions, but will post the question for you in "Non-Life Threateneing Help" where more people will see it and you will get a quicker response. Keep checking back -- I'm sure you will get some suggestions! Thanks for caring about your "visitor"!

:grouphug

Mars
08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Okay this may work but will take a day or two. Take a small cardboard box about 8 inches square more or less and put shredded paper towels in it for bedding and food. Banana chips, sunflower seed are good bait. Cut a small 2inch door in one side. Place this nest box in the rafters where the flier can find it. Then place food near the box. With luck he will settle in for dinner and a daytime nap. You will only have one good try at this so I would let the little one become comfortable with the arrangement before trying to trap him in it. Then during the day all you need do is block the door with a towel and move the whole thing outside and release the little one onto the side of a tree.

Hope this helps. :)

atlantasquirrelgirl
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
That's a great suggestion Mars. I hope that one works, as there's no cost involved.

In the event that it doesn't, I think that Buddy's Mom is correct about the flyer being too light to set off the trap. Lowes and Home Depot sometimes carry a very small Havaheart intended for mice. You could try that, too. When you are done, they are a hot commodity on Ebay, so you could sell it. You may be able to buy one there, too.

Buddy'sMom
08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
:D So did I .... (:thinking AAAKKKK!!! WHAT is she SAYing??) :D

atlantasquirrelgirl
08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I just re-read it, and am blushing. I did indeed mean sell the cage on Ebay. The lack of sleep with my 2 hour feedings is showing.

Kelster
08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions! I ordered a smaller trap online, so I'm going to try Mars suggestion until it gets here. I'll keep everyone posted. The ebay thing was very funny! :thankyou

Kelster
09-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Everyone!
Good news! I caught my little friend with the new trap. Strawberry yogurt granola bars are irresistable. He or she has been reunited with the woods behind my house. Thanks for all the help.:jump

Buddy'sMom
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Great news!! We LOVE happy endings!! :thumbsup :thumbsup