PDA

View Full Version : Boxes and Cages for Babies

Buddy'sMom
08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
A question arose on another thread as to the size and set up of living arrangements in the "Early Weeks." While there has been much discussion on TSB about making babies cozy on intake ... and also about larger pre-release cages if the finder doesn't turn them over to a rehabber, there hasn't been very much about where to put the babies as they grow and develop. Whether to keep them in a box or cage. Size/height of cage. Gauge and configuration of the bars. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I recall being totally confused by all the choices and sizes (and prices!) of cages available. I think we ended up with a good choice, but it would be helpful for others to have a bit of advice from the experts before they venture to the pet store.

So, rehabbers .... have at it! (please :D ) :grouphug

island rehabber
08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Hiya! Great question....I have two intermediate cages: one is about 24"x 18" x 12" and wa sold as a "rabbit cage" in Petco. That's the first cage my squirrels go in after their eyes are opened and the little carrier I have becomes too small for them. The 18" height is nice because even as they learn to hang from the ceiling it's not a long fall. While they are in this beginner's cage they always have a sleepy sack or box to nest in and feel protected. Then I have two "ferret cages" -- 40"W x 30"H x 20", which can be used as two separate cages or stacked to make a 60" H cage. One end has a square opening in it where the entrance to my home-made nest box fits in -- that way the squirrels get a two-room apartment: the cage plus access to the nest box. That was my largest pre-release cage until this past spring when I was lucky enough to get a beautiful 5' x 4' x 32" cage donated to me by the nature center :thankyou! My squirrels are usually 6-7 wks old before I put them in any kind of cage, because i don't want heads or little limbs getting stuck anywhere. :nono Hope this helps :)

Gabe
08-29-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty much the same. Moving them as they grow and depending on how many are in the litter. The first move is when I am trying to wean them off heat and they have a choice between their blankies or a nest box. Then I just keep moving them as others come in. Sort of like an assembly line with the last stop being a boot out the door! Kidding:D