PDA

View Full Version : New source of protein

Timberbeast
12-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Just got 50 June Bug larvae gut loaded on alfalfa hay! I Googled them and they are safe for animal and Human consumption. Evidently they are so high in proteins though, that they should be fed just a few at a time. Gonna to see if the boys will try them.

Timberbeast
12-03-2019, 03:37 PM
...and as of right now it’s a no go...not interested in the least. Maybe tonight they will give them a try

HRT4SQRLS
12-03-2019, 04:00 PM
:laugh2

CritterMom
12-03-2019, 05:14 PM
:laugh2

They can be such little jerks sometimes!

Timberbeast
12-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Truth!! 😝😝😝

Diggie's Friend
12-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Tree squirrels shouldn't be fed alfalfa; not a source they consume in the wild; too hard to digest.

This time of year they are into larva.

Ground squirrels, flying squirrels, and red squirrels are more likely to accept insects,

as they consume more animal sourced foods than the E. gray and Fox squirrels have been found to do.

Check, "The Natural History of Tree Squirrels" by Gurnell, available on Amazon.com

It contains a wealth of information on the various diets of tree squirrels in the northern hemisphere, whose diets habitat specific.

Diggie's Friend
12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Read more on alfalfa shouldn't be included in many pet diets.

Though rich in protein, even Prairie dogs, who are grass feeders shouldn't be given too much of it, save they are juveniles as this article explains.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/07/26/alfalfa.aspx?_escaped_fragment_=

Timberbeast
12-04-2019, 02:39 PM
I was hoping they would eat the June Bug larvae...but they want nothing to do with them. I just thought that the larvae having been eating alfalfa would be a bonus. Thank you for the info, always willing and wanting to learn all I can!

RockyPops
12-04-2019, 05:53 PM
I don't know about flyers, but I personally witnessed a wild gray pick up a fallen July fly and run off with it to a branch and quickly consume everything but the wings.

And Rocky, my little gray, stumbled across a live July fly on my gazebo, snatched it up like a prime cut of meat and ran off to consume it in peace.

Proof that they are omnivores.

Timberbeast
12-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Yep...and my boys LOVE some chicken and turkey and super meal worms!! Getting too cold here for insects though...I bet I can find crickets!!

Diggie's Friend
12-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Sorry to put a damper on wild insects, but their gut contains worms and other bad parasites; which you don't want to pass on to your squirrels.

If you want safe raised sources, go with Camilles Vita-mealies. https://vita-mealie.weebly.com/

Timberbeast
12-05-2019, 07:12 AM
I guess my main focus is on the release of my babies come Spring. I’m just trying to find good sources they are going to come across. I feel like a parent getting my boys ready for life, it’s becoming frustrating because I feel I keep getting shot down or they don’t like what I offer. I’ll get it straight though and the boys will have a great life in the trees.

HRT4SQRLS
12-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Timber, you’re doing a great job. Seeing your boys eat the turkey neck was the funniest thing I’ve seen lately. I wish my picky boys would do that. :grin2 One day they will reject a food and the next day they will love it. They always keep you guessing. :grin2

TubeDriver
12-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Don't get discouraged, keep experimenting and sharing your experience here with others. There are probably lots of regional/local diet differences among squirrels depending on what is available. Squirrels are extremely adaptable, which is why they are so successful.

I guess my main focus is on the release of my babies come Spring. I’m just trying to find good sources they are going to come across. I feel like a parent getting my boys ready for life, it’s becoming frustrating because I feel I keep getting shot down or they don’t like what I offer. I’ll get it straight though and the boys will have a great life in the trees.