PDA

View Full Version : Heat for babies

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
I got the babies a cage today, and I cant use heating pad with it ... I got a heat lamp that sits on top of the cage and was wondering if there is a specific bulb to use? The one the pet store recomended is.. sun glow /100 watt /Daylight bulb/ used for tropical terrariums. But I think that will be too hot. Any suggestions. I went a head and bought it. But I would like to know whether or not I can use it befor I hook it up .

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 08:24 PM
This is the temporary cage for them, in the 2nd pic you can see where the light sits on top...

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 08:44 PM
the part for the light doesnt have a stand so it has to set on top of the cage. Unless, anyone has any other suggestions on some way to hang it .
The bulb box says

For desert and tropical terrariums
Broad Spectrum daylight bulb
Creates heat gradients for thermo regulation
Increases ambient air temperature
Stimulates natural behaviour through UVA rays

It also looks purple when its not plugged up

Mars
08-28-2007, 09:00 PM
They do get hot and the only way to regulate the heat is by the distance and by trial and error. Babies will not need heat once their eyes have been open for about a week. You could use a cake rack or one of those metal storage shelves to raise the lamp up. I would use zip ties to secure the shelf to the top of the cage to keep it from slipping around. One of those stick on aquarium thermometers on the bottom of the cage will give you a good idea of the temp generated. An alternative would be to go to a sporting goods store and purchase some chemical hand warmers. They are small, non-toxic and give off heat for about 6 hours.

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you Gamma.:thankyou It's used for amphibians too there is a picture of an iguana on the box... So I am assuming it should be safe.... But, I dont want to take any chance if its not.! I am racking my brain too:thinking , I am gonna go experiment and see it there is some way I can rig it so it wont be too close. I am also gonna turn it on for a bit with out them in the cage to see how hot it gets. Both of thier eyes are open, how much longer should they need the heat?

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Thank you Mars.:thankyou .. I keep my house pretty cold. A/C set on 71-76 ... I'm in louisiana and it hot as heck here! So should I keep heat on them longer than that ?

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I've had them in a cardboard box, but it smells really bad from the urine it has absorbed, as you can see in the pics above this has a seperate are for them to use the potty. I have been taking them out of thier bedding to let them use the potty before and after every feeding. But, for some reason they still have been going in there bedding. I didn't know they needed the light after they are off of the formula. So, if they do need it I guess there is no since in bringing it back if I can rig it the right way... I may need to bring back the bulb and get a different one though!

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:22 PM
I think once their eyes are open for so long, that they are then able to regulate their own body heat, but you might have to put them in a room without the AC running for a little while. Can you close the vents, or turn it off in a particular room?

Yes, in my bathroom/ laundry room, I can either close the vent or turn the heater on just in there.

LynninIN
08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Is the base of the case metal or plastic? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Is the base of the case metal or plastic? It's hard to tell from the pics.

The cage is metal, the bottom try is plastic. The bottom part comes out to be emptied. MAYBE I could just put heating pad under there?

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I think you'd feel a lot better and have more peace of mind, just using a Full Spectrum bulb, instead of a reptile bulb, when the babies need their lighting. They don't get near as hot, and might be a lot safer. :grouphug Can you buy a cheap tupperware container that is high enough so they can't get out, and just put the heating pad under it half way? Then use the cage when they need more room?

Yes, But, not till tomorrow. Everywhere is closed already today

Buddy'sMom
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Can't you put the heating pad underneath the tray? I can't really tell fromthe photo if it's a 2-piece bottom? Are you afraid the plastic will get too hot? --- or that the heat will be too far removed from the squirrel?

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Can't you put the heating pad underneath the tray? I can't really tell fromthe photo if it's a 2-piece bottom? Are you afraid the plastic will get too hot? --- or that the heat will be too far removed from the squirrel?

The plastic is removable it sets under the cage, I was worried about the heat being too far away.

... I have had the light on for about 15-20 mins now, I just went and felt thier blankets. They're not hot. but they are warm and cozy.

Melissa2169
08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
This is with light on. The baby's are not in there right now, cause I wanted to get tempature controlled first.... I'll be back in a bit to see if anyone has posted anything else... I have to go feed them..

Buddy'sMom
08-28-2007, 09:47 PM
The plastic is removable it sets under the cage, I was worried about the heat being too far away. .

You could give the heating pad a try underneath and see how it does. If you remove the plastic part, does the cage still have a bottom? If so, what about just leaving the plastic part off for now?

... I have had the light on for about 15-20 mins now, I just went and felt thier blankets. They're not hot. but they are warm and cozy.
OK -- how do the squirrels feel? Are they staying warmer than your hands? If they are staying warm, it probably doesn't matter if the heat is from above or below. But the squirrels staying warm is the key. [EDIT: Just saw your post that the squirrels aren't in there yet. Still, that will be the test -- if you think it's good, try it out and keep checking them until you are comfortable that the temperature stays warm but not hot.]

If the heat isn't quite enough, two suggestions:
1. Try using both the light and the heating pad and see if that warms them up.
2. Add a couple of "rice buddies" (fill a sock 2/3 with rice, knot the end, them microwave til warm -- NOT too hot -- and put into the nest for them to snuggle). Only problem with that is it doesn't stay hot that long and has to be re-heated.

:grouphug

Mars
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
My first thought is to tape that wire out of reach of little paws least they pull it into the cage and crew on it. :)

muffinsquirrel
08-28-2007, 09:55 PM
You can put the heating pad in the tray that pulls out for cleaning, or you can put the heating pad in the cage on top of the wire floor and thread the cord out through the floor and tray. I've done it both ways - I usually put the heating pad on a cake rack when I put it in the tray, to bring it up closer to the babies. Put a cloth over the cage to hold the heat in and keep drafts out. Or, if the wire bottom comes out, just remove it, put the heating pad under the tray and put paper towels in the tray for bedding, in addition to their fleece blanket or whatever they have.

muffinsquirrel

LynninIN
08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
"BRIGHT LIGHT!" said Gizmo. :rotfl

I used a heating pad on low under half of Sammy's baby cage with a couple layers of towel between the heating pad and the plastic bottom.

You will only need full spectrum light after the squirrels are off formula, if you plan to over-winter them or not release them at all.

Melissa2169
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Okay, I think we are set. I took the plastic part from underneath the cage. I put the heating pad, wrapped in a towel, on top of a shoe box lid, underneath the cage right under thier blankets. So, their bottom blanket is maintaining the heat. :wahoo I have lite fleece blanket over the entire cage to hold in the warmth. :crazy They just had thier last feeding and are sleeping like :Love_Icon babies:Love_Icon !:D
:wott I think they like it .. And no more stinky smell!
so fresh and so clean lol
Thank You all that gave me the advice on getting this right!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Melissa that is a nice cage but it isnt good for squirrels.... needs to be a minimum of 3 feet and they shouldnt be in it yet. When they get a bit bigger they will try climbing..
It dosent have the proper bars for them to learn to climb. The gaugeing needs to be different. I will help you later by pm. Also I wouldnt recomend that light.

Buddy'sMom
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Melissa, I'm glad you got the heating figured out. I saw that you had plenty of suggestions and couldn't stay up any longer ("normal" sleep schedule -- no babies to feed! :D ).

Melissa that is a nice cage but it isnt good for squirrels.... needs to be a minimum of 3 feet and they shouldnt be in it yet. When they get a bit bigger they will try climbing..
It dosent have the proper bars for them to learn to climb. The gaugeing needs to be different. I will help you later by pm. Also I wouldnt recomend that light.

:confused: :confused: Interesting, Rippie --- I think it would be helpful to have a thread where the rehabbers can offer suggestions and advice about what are good (and bad) living arrangements. I don't actually recall reading anything about this. But I DO recall standing helplessly before all the cage varieties in the pet store and wondering which one would work best for the squirrel AND the budget! It's a rather significant expense and I'm sure some guidance would be appreciated by others faced with this choice.

How about it, rehabbers? Here, I created a new thread for you (Boxes and Cages for Babies) : http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97925#post97925

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Melissa2169
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM

Rippie, on the first page, when I posted the pictures I did type that this was a temperary cage.
It just for about 2 weeks untill the one I ordered comes in. The one I ordered has 3 story's and stands about 5 foot tall and is 2 1/2 foot width all the way around. I just needed something other than the cardboard because, its to absorbant and stinks. The babies are in my bedroom soooo, all I could say the last 2 nights was PPPPPUUUUUU.... lol.. but last night there wasn't any smell! I have newspaper under thier blankets so they cant get caught in the bottom. and fleece around the entire cage so the wont get cold...
Do you think it would be okay to use for about 2 weeks till the other cage comes in ?:thinking

Melissa2169
08-29-2007, 12:42 PM
:thankyou Gamma, I am trying. They are both doing really good, and they seem to really like the new cage.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-29-2007, 02:02 PM
http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/lsg-580.jpg
This is an ideal cage for a squirrel, it is 1/2 inch x1inch.
This is what you want if you are planning on keeping your squirrel long term, which you said you were.
It is spaced so that the squirrel can easily grab onto the cage and run and jump if he desires. Do you see the bar spacing on yours, it is to far apart...this would be ok if you were releasing at 14 weeks.:thumbsup You could make do with it.

Also they should not have levels in their cages that would obstruct them running up and down. One or 2 shelfs is fine.
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/flysquirrel/

Melissa2169
08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Thank you Rippie, I didn't know. I am calling now to cancel the other cage, and going to put an order in for the one you posted. I was actually paying way more than that one anyway lol... over 200 more ! So thank you very much! And I am glad now that I know befor the other one came in.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Martins cages delivers quickly, and they are wonderful cages.
:thankyou for taking such great care of the babies.