PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bot fly?

SqueakyBaby
09-24-2019, 01:27 PM
There is a bulge on his underside which seems to have grown larger over the past few days. Is this a bot fly larva or perhaps intestinal parasites to create the bulge?? The hole looks like a wound/open hole and not like a normal butt hole; I don't think its his anatomy or if it is, something is not right with his digestive system.

Sorry for the low quality picture; I will try to rake better ones later.
He is pretty active, though wobbly and kind of slow, and he constantly tries311526 to scratch at this bulge with his hind legs.

HRT4SQRLS
09-24-2019, 02:27 PM
Is this an outside squirrel?
We have to be right on the answer because one will resolve itself the other will kill him.

Bot flies will exit on their own. I have never seen a bot fly in that location but of course, this could be a first. It does have the appearance of a bot fly warble BUT I can not see an orientation of that on the squirrel. If that is the anus, he has big problems. Life threatening problems. If it’s a bot fly it could potentially cause an external blockage of the GI tract due to the swelling.

If you are in the south it could be a bot fly. If you are further north it is unlikely.
Without a better pic, I really can’t say for sure.

SqueakyBaby
09-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Is this an outside squirrel?
We have to be right on the answer because one will resolve itself the other will kill him.

Bot flies will exit on their own. I have never seen a bot fly in that location but of course, this could be a first. It does have the appearance of a bot fly warble BUT I can not see an orientation of that on the squirrel. If that is the anus, he has big problems. Life threatening problems. If it’s a bot fly it could potentially cause an external blockage of the GI tract due to the swelling.

If you are in the south it could be a bot fly. If you are further north it is unlikely.
Without a better pic, I really can’t say for sure.

Thank you so much for your reply.

How can I tell whether it is his anus?
I am in New York state, this is a chipmunk actually that I rescued 4 days ago. He (not sure if actually 'he') was crawling early in the morning towards the middle of an empty, closely mowed grassy field at the park, soaked by the dew, freezing cold and stumbling around, walking very slow. He would've frozen/died of exposure/visibility by predators/etc if I hadn't picked him up.

He seems to have neurological issues/be a little slow and wobbly. He is very skinny; I can feel his ribs and spine easily. He shakes, scratches himself and chatters quite a lot plus sneezes fairly frequently.

I have been feeding him esbilac, sunflower seeds, walnuts, banana, greens, carrot, other veg.

His teeth are well formed which makes me think he is around 6 weeks old but runty/malnourished? This abdominal swelling scares me. It was swollen since I found him but seems to have gotten worse. He seems to be eliminating normally but I am worried what I can do to help him recover neurologically and gain weight and stop sneezing plus figure this lump out. He is quite playful and he is very active for a couple hours a day but then sleeps most the day otherwise. I don't think this is normal for his age, perhaps its normal given he almost died just a few days ago from being cold and wet?

Here are some more pictures I hope they help..it's tough to get good photos...I will do whatever it takes to get him well. I have raised a baby squirrel and baby field mouse in the past, I have a little experience under my belt and am determined to get this chipmunk baby healthy. He is so sweet And gentle.

HRT4SQRLS
09-24-2019, 07:54 PM
Wow, I don’t know what to recommend. Will she let you massage the lump with something slippery like mineral oil to see if anything comes out. I wonder if it’s impacted poop, abscess, parasites, fistula. ??
I don’t see how that could be if she is eliminating normally. You should be able to determine if it’s the anus.

It’s probably a girl. Boys are very obvious.

I wish I could help but this might need a vet. Maybe someone else has ideas.

In your original post, you questioned whether it was a bot. My guess would be no because a warble that large would be weeping fluid by now. It would also be nearing exiting.

SqueakyBaby
09-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Wow, I don’t know what to recommend. Will she let you massage the lump with something slippery like mineral oil to see if anything comes out. I wonder if it’s impacted poop, abscess, parasites, fistula. ??
I don’t see how that could be if she is eliminating normally. You should be able to determine if it’s the anus.

It’s probably a girl. Boys are very obvious.

I wish I could help but this might need a vet. Maybe someone else has ideas.

In your original post, you questioned whether it was a bot. My guess would be no because a warble that large would be weeping fluid by now. It would also be nearing exiting.

I think you're right that she's a girl.
I will post in the rehabber section to see if I can find someone to help me, will call animal rescue places tomorrow too.

She's getting weaker, and breathing a little sporadically and fast. I'm nervous she may not survive the night; this is pretty severe it seems :(

She didnt want me to touch the site. I think its very sensitive.
Her body is chilled and reminds me of how my mice have acted and felt when they passed away. I'm holding her in my hand for warmth and will do so all night. I'm stopping food and giving her water for now.

RockyPops
09-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Poor baby!

Get better soon!

SqueakyBaby
09-25-2019, 01:57 PM
I brought her to a Rehabber earlier, and it is indeed a bot fly larvae! I coulsnt see it move at all, but that's what the Rehabber said. She said I should have the chippie back home in the next day or two after she removes it.

HRT4SQRLS
09-25-2019, 03:08 PM
I missed the pic you posted late yesterday. With that orientation, it looks EXACTLY like a bot.
I’m so glad the rehabber confirmed.

RockyPops
09-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Yay! I hope she gets that thing out. She’ll feel so much better.
Please keep us posted!

Mel1959
09-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Poor thing :sniff