PDA

View Full Version : Help with syringes

Candyanne2019
09-14-2019, 11:04 AM
I live in a town where there is only one vet's office and they didn't even k ow what a feeding syringe was when I asked. They told me that " the petag baby bottle should work." Ummm.... They didn't know anything about anything I asked for my Thumbelina. I was shocked to know more than them. And I've only been reading on this subject for two weeks. I am having problems with her eating/bloating/and it takes me 45 minutes every feeding as I can only find a huge syringe here(one for medicines for human infants. I have to drop it onto my palm and she eats it from there but she is so franticly trying to suck and I have nothing for her in that sense but she is finally gaining weight now. I go thru
4 times the formula because of the way I have to feed her but it's my only choice.😕any suggestions. This is my first attempt at raising a squirrel because I accidentally found her and could not bear to watch her die. 🙈There are no rehabbers that I am aware of in my area. Please, any help or advice would be amazing!!!

RockyPops
09-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Hello Candyanne2019,

You may have better luck with a response if you back up one thread and start your own thread about your baby.
Someone will see it here as well but may get a faster response on a new thread.
Good luck!

CritterMom
09-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Candyanne, go to your local pharmacy and speak to one of the pharmacists. Tell a fib and say you are trying to feed a baby guinea pig, and ask if you can get a 1cc or at the biggest, a 3cc syringe to use to feed because anything else if too big. Most pharmacies have a drawerfull of syringes of different sizes. I did this for my first squirrel.

THEN, order some, along with nipples from a source like www.henryspets.com.

The disposable syringes from the pharmacy are meant for single use, and they will begin to "stick" which can be a real issue. You can prolong their life by keeping the rubber tip in the plunger lubricated with a little cooking oil. The "feeding" syringes don't do this.

HRT4SQRLS
09-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Here are the links for what you need at Henry’s. Get some 1ml and 3ml syringes.

https://www.henryspets.com/miracle-slip-tip-o-ring-syringes/

https://www.henryspets.com/miracle-nipples-2/

Nancy in New York
09-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Thank you RockyPops
I Moved the posts, and made a thread all her own
I sent her the link.

What formula are you feeding?

Candyanne2019
09-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Thank you RockyPops
I Moved the posts, and made a thread all her own
I sent her the link.

What formula are you feeding?

Right now she is on the goats milk formula because the esbilac seemed to be draining her of everything.she went from 26.4 to 21 in 2 days . And I was hydrating with sugar water 1.5 hrs after each feeding. I don't want to us esbilac again that was scary. She is now up to 26.7 (but now she is gassy) made a post in help needed called sinethicone dosing needed.... with details . She was 28.8 day before yesterday. ...how long can I safely feed the goats milk?

HRT4SQRLS
09-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Right now she is on the goats milk formula because the esbilac seemed to be draining her of everything.she went from 26.4 to 21 in 2 days . And I was hydrating with sugar water 1.5 hrs after each feeding. I don't want to us esbilac again that was scary. She is now up to 26.7 (but now she is gassy) made a post in help needed called sinethicone dosing needed.... with details . She was 28.8 day before yesterday. ...how long can I safely feed the goats milk?

How long has she been on the goats milk?

You’re referring to the goat milk/heavy cream/yogurt formula, right?

Candyanne2019
09-16-2019, 03:39 AM
How long has she been on the goats milk?

You’re referring to the goat milk/heavy cream/yogurt formula, right?

Yes and she's been on it about 5 days ...the only two formulas available here are the esbilac that she lost down to 21 grams while eating and pet milk replacer