PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 week old squirrel with "glass bones"

Lake Gypsy
09-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Has comeanyone encountered a baby squirrel with bones so fragile they seem to break with no real reason??? Warning, long read ahead!

Some background-7.5 wk old, 120 g, male Eastern grey, found very shortly after birth, possibly even same day. One of a litter of three, the two other squirrels in the litter appear completely normal. Currently eating esbilac formula and sampling Harlan teklad rodent blocks.

Two weeks ago was the first incidence of a potential break. Went to feed and right hind leg, between knee and hock, had a bulge. Careful palpation revealed the leg is very slightly mobile between the joints. The squirrel didn't seem bothered by my moving the leg at all.

Babies were bedded on fleece in a very small tote. Removed fleece and replaced with t shirts because maybe a toenail had gotten stuck and leg twisted somehow? Seemed unlikely, but have seen animals hurt themselves in unexpected ways before

About four days after that right front leg has a bulge between elbow and wrist. Again leg seems slightly mobile when gently manipulated. Again squirrel is very unconcerned by me touching the leg. Only time the baby squirrel, named Ash, complains is when litter mates run over him or jostle him. Litter mates are graduated to larger tote, Ash stays in smaller tote where he can rest and not be a chew toy.

This morning when I took Ash out his tail was at a weird angle. Feels like it too may be broken. Nobody else has handled this squirrel, he's in a box by himself unless he's with me, I know he's not being mishandled or dropped. What the heck is going on here???

Edit: originally I had ruled out mbd as a potential cause because Ash is eating primarily formula still, but have just read that there's been some trouble with esbilac this year. I had an issue with the last can I had. It made the babies stool really "gummy" and they were constipated. I replaced it and stools are more normal again. Now I'm concerned with mbd. Though the two other litter mates are normal, so could it just effect one squirrel out of three that way?

Spanky
09-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Start them on the emergency MBD treatment, here is the link:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17680-Emergency-Treatment-for-MBD-(Updated-3-31-09)

There have been reports of problems with Esbilac this season and PetAg just recently confirmed (a day or so ago) they are using a new "ingredient particle" for calcium that small mammals are having trouble digesting. They did say they are working to address this, but that does not help right now.

Some are adding additional calcium to formula, others switching formulas... Fox Valley 20/50 after eye open is great, but has to be bought on-line. In the meantime, you might consider the temporary goat's milk formula:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?29904-TEMPORARY-Goat-s-Milk-Formula***

Can you share with us if your babies had any digestive issues (diarrhea or the like) this season? Or was the bone problems the first sign of a problem?

I am so sorry for your babies... the MBD treatment should be started as soon as possible.

Spanky
09-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Edit: originally I had ruled out mbd as a potential cause because Ash is eating primarily formula still, but have just read that there's been some trouble with esbilac this year. I had an issue with the last can I had. It made the babies stool really "gummy" and they were constipated. I replaced it and stools are more normal again. Now I'm concerned with mbd. Though the two other litter mates are normal, so could it just effect one squirrel out of three that way?

Thanks for the additional info. I would still put them all on the MBD, it cannot hurt and will only help.

I think it possible it may have only been problematic for only the one baby... that is just an anecdotal statement based upon the info I have right now that not everyone is having this problem with the Esbilac despite the fact there IS a problem.

I pray this is not a simmering storm though.

HRT4SQRLS
09-08-2019, 02:23 PM
I think it is Spanky.

Lake Gypsy
09-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Start them on the emergency MBD treatment, here is the link:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17680-Emergency-Treatment-for-MBD-(Updated-3-31-09)

There have been reports of problems with Esbilac this season and PetAg just recently confirmed (a day or so ago) they are using a new "ingredient particle" for calcium that small mammals are having trouble digesting. They did say they are working to address this, but that does not help right now.

Some are adding additional calcium to formula, others switching formulas... Fox Valley 20/50 after eye open is great, but has to be bought on-line. In the meantime, you might consider the temporary goat's milk formula:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?29904-TEMPORARY-Goat-s-Milk-Formula***

Can you share with us if your babies had any digestive issues (diarrhea or the like) this season? Or was the bone problems the first sign of a problem?

I am so sorry for your babies... the MBD treatment should be started as soon as possible.

I already gave all the babies the first dose of calcium. I started emergency calcium protocol right after my last edit. I gave it to all three. I already have FV on hand, I'll be mixing some of that up to start the switch ASAP.

They did have some diarrhea on esbilac when they were teeny pinkies and had to keep them on GMF for a bit while I waited for the FV. They weren't really gaining weight on the FV, so went back to esbilac and they were doing great. They fattened up and all seemed well until I got the can that gave them the super sticky, gummy stools. Even then, they themselves seemed ok, but were constipated. Got a new can and poops were good again. Then Ash started falling apart.

HRT4SQRLS
09-08-2019, 03:01 PM
This thread might interest you.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?63184-Bone-problems-this-year/page2

Lake Gypsy
09-08-2019, 04:35 PM
This thread might interest you.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?63184-Bone-problems-this-year/page2

Wow! Yes, thank you for the link. Ya know, I said something about wondering if PetAg had changed the formula again when the babies had such bad diarrhea from it when they were new born. But then thought maybe they had sensitive tummies from not getting colostrum because when I tried them on it when they were older they did well (visibly, but not internally it seems) I switched them back to esbilac when they were older simply because it's the easiest to get and is available locally.

I'm so heartbroken for Ash and all the other babies effected by this. My heart goes out to anyone that lost babies thinking they were doing the right thing, as I did, by using esbilac. I'm so thankful to y'all and TSB for finding out what was going wrong and spreading the word.

Should I add this to the thread in the link above?

HRT4SQRLS
09-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Should I add this to the thread in the link above?
Yes, please do.Thank you.