PDA

View Full Version : Clavamox dosage needed.

Whipette
08-31-2019, 11:56 PM
A 5yr old tree squirrel is in need of some antibiotics. I have clavamox. I’ve spoken to a fairly new rehabber in my area (California) and she had no idea on dosage.
Im hoping someone here can help me.
Thank you.

Spanky
09-01-2019, 12:48 AM
A 5yr old tree squirrel is in need of some antibiotics. I have clavamox. I’ve spoken to a fairly new rehabber in my area (California) and she had no idea on dosage.
Thank you.

It is necessary to know the squirrels weight and the strength of the clavamox in order to provide proper dosing instructions.

stepnstone
09-01-2019, 12:52 AM
Thank you.
Medications are dosed by a squirrels body weight, If a weight can't be obtained a picture is at least needed
for a comparison guesstimate. Also (most) medications need to be diluted to the proper milligrams for a squirrel.
We will need to know the form of the Clavamox (pill/liquid/) and the milligrams. (ml/kg)

What are you attempting to treat?
What method would you use to medicate the squirrel?

Whipette
09-01-2019, 01:57 AM
He weighs 324g the clavamox is 875mg/125mg

stepnstone
09-01-2019, 02:22 AM
He weighs 324g the clavamox is 875mg/125mg

What is it you are treating?

Whipette
09-01-2019, 02:30 AM
I rescued Louie when he was a month old. He fell from a tree in my yard. He’s not caged and has an entire sunroom and outside to roam everyday. Due to the fall he is scared of heights though, so he’s a tree squirrel turned ground squirrel. He sleeps inside every night in the many different nests he’s built in my sunroom.

He had an abscess due to a cracked tooth. The abscess was drained and his teeth were trimmed. No vets will help me due to laws, but a vet advised me what to use and told me the dosage I would have to figure out on my own. Very strange, but whatever.
I can give him anything I need to. We have a strong bond and he seems to really have trust in me.

stepnstone
09-01-2019, 02:41 AM
I will send dosing for the Clavamox in a private message....

Whipette
09-01-2019, 02:48 AM
Thank you!
I just joined this board and I’m just learning how it all works so please excuse my newbie style.