PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think This is Pox??

Shadow & Arthur
08-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Hi All,

Once again I've got a pox scare for one of my boys. This is Charlie. He's about 23 weeks old (and kind of small for his age; we're not sure how long he was away from his mama when we found him but we suspect this is why).
Anyway in the last week or so I've noticed this little bump near his ear. I'm hoping it's not the dreaded pox (though I do have some meds left over from when Arthur had it last winter). I haven't seen any signs anywhere else on him. Before I start administering, I'd like to get a second opinion or two.

Shadow & Arthur
09-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Man, I've never had crickets on here before. Trying to help out my kiddo.
Anyone? Anyone?

Milo's Mom
09-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Are you referring to the bump right below his ear? I don't see pox. I see clear eyes and toes and some scabbing or old wounds on the ears. It may just be the lighting but I do think there is an area beneath his ear that looks a little puffy. But I don't think I see pox.

Spanky
09-02-2019, 01:03 PM
I do not see any obvious pox. Does Charlie allow you to touch him at all / pet him? With the few pox squirrels I have treated, they all seemed to have pox on their tails and when you ran you ran it through your fingers the tail was all bumpy.

CritterMom
09-02-2019, 01:19 PM
t is really hard to see on the dark morphs like him. The sores stand out more on the lighter normal grays. Does he have more than the bump under that one ear? Pox teds to form in clusters.

TubeDriver
09-02-2019, 01:52 PM
I see that two bump looking areas but I am not sure that is Pox? Looks healthy otherwise...

Shadow & Arthur
09-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Thanks all. Yes I'm referring to the puffy bump under the ear - I know it doesn't look like full-blown pox but just trying to be vigilant and nip it in the bud if it was - I've seen some really terrible cases around here.
Yes he does let me handle and pet him (in fact he loves it like no other squirrel I've raised!) and I don't feel anything on his tail.
I'll keep monitoring and post another pic if it seems to get worse.
Thanks again!

Shadow & Arthur
09-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Ok, I'm really not sure what this is now ... the bump by his ear seems to have grown and now it's a bit cracked and bleeding. Also it seems his ears in general are looking a little ragged, and the hair on his head is thinning. I gave him one mange treatment so far in case that's it ... I feel like that could account for the ragged ears and the thinning fur, but I've never seen mange make a big sore like this. And if it were pox I feel like it would've spread more. I'm at a bit of a loss! Any insights?

CritterMom
09-05-2019, 02:47 PM
What are you using to treat for pox - what do you have leftover? I am not liking any of that and if he was my little friend, I would treat him for pox using acyclovir and would also give him either ivermectin or Revolution for mange. I have NEVER seen a single negative issue with acyclovir in any of the really bad pox squirrels that got high doses for a long time, and have also had very good luck with the ivermectin for mites. So as far as I have seen, there is no negative to doing that.

Shadow & Arthur
09-05-2019, 06:59 PM
For the mange I'm treating him with Ivermectin - one treatment so far and I plan to continue that.

I thought I had some acyclovir left for the pox but it seems I don't. I'm wondering if anyone has some to spare? I'd happily pay for shipping and your troubles..
Also I could use a reminder as to the dosage levels and process for the acyclovir..

I appreciate the responses! I realize I'm asking a lot but my buddy is super sweet and I want to do the best I can for him.

Spanky
09-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Check your PM's...