PDA

View Full Version : How do I catch four baby squirrel orpahns?

Lisa N
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
There are four babies that are obviously orpahned in my giant oak tree, no mother in sight as they approach me and walk down to the ground. They have full eye opening and hair on their bodies completely but are tiny and shaking. I can't get close enough to hand catch them and fear for their naive nature. Please advise. Thanks, Lisa

island rehabber
08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Lisa, if their eyes are opened but they're tiny they should be about 5 weeks old and still their mamma's milk, or formula from us, for another 3-5 weeks. Since you're in Florida they actually don't need to be on a heating pad at their age anymore, but they do need to be protected from predators. If you can gently catch them by throwing a large towel over them and scooping them up into a bin or box, that would be a good first step. Are you absolutely sure the mother squirrel is not around?

nenaj1
08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
They won't hurt you. Awww poor babies want some love. Grab them ASAP.

Keep them warm. Buy esbilac for puppies and pedialyte. But don't feed them yet.

Let us know right when you get them.

Mars
08-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Catching the little darlings can be a challenge. Try this - prepare a plastic storage containor with a piece of fleece or old tee shirts on the bottom for them to hide in. take it with you out to the tree and bring food for the babies. sunflower seeds or bits of apple should work. Sit quietly and place the food close to you and the tree. The secret is to move slowly. wearing gloves ( like gardening gloves ) Slowly scoop up a baby as you would pick up a small kitten one hand under and one hand on top ( block the head to keep baby from scooting forward ) and quietly place it in the bin. It will take time. If you chase them or try to grab them you won't likely get all of them.

TexanSquirrel
08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
:Welcome and good luck!

Apple Corps
08-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Any update on this - we are all concerned and want to help .

Apple Corps
08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Afraid that people become discouraged because of how difficult they are to catch and then just give up :-(