PDA

View Full Version : 43 day old squirrel not furred

Aswaroff
08-24-2019, 08:39 PM
I received a baby squirrel July 10th still had cord attached. He is now 43 days old still small eyes open 2 days ago. Not much fur still looks like he is maybe 2 weeks old. Eats good has ran a course of antibiotics has been dewormed with ivermectin. Has been on fox valley 33/40 with heavy whipping cream added. He is active and eager to eat I feed every 4 hours. I am at a loss for what is going on. I would post a pic but don’t know how to.

Spanky
08-24-2019, 09:06 PM
I received a baby squirrel July 10th still had cord attached. He is now 43 days old still small eyes open 2 days ago. Not much fur still looks like he is maybe 2 weeks old. Eats good has ran a course of antibiotics has been dewormed with ivermectin. Has been on fox valley 33/40 with heavy whipping cream added. He is active and eager to eat I feed every 4 hours. I am at a loss for what is going on. I would post a pic but don’t know how to.

I will PM you an e-mail address and I will post the picture for you.

A few comments... using Ivermectin on a baby squirrel is a scary thing to me... how did you measure the dose? It is such a minute amount for an adult 500gram squirrel, I cannot imagine the infinitely small amount that would be appropriate for a 2 week old.

What antibiotics did you give him and for how long?

Fox Valley 33/40 is not a good choice for squirrels, the 20/50 is much more in line with their nutritional needs.

His not having any hair is very troublesome too me..

Aswaroff
08-24-2019, 09:36 PM
I will PM you an e-mail address and I will post the picture for you.

A few comments... using Ivermectin on a baby squirrel is a scary thing to me... how did you measure the dose? It is such a minute amount for an adult 500gram squirrel, I cannot imagine the infinitely small amount that would be appropriate for a 2 week old.

What antibiotics did you give him and for how long?

Fox Valley 33/40 is not a good choice for squirrels, the 20/50 is much more in line with their nutritional needs.

His not having any hair is very troublesome too me..

He was dewormed yesterday dose was given from my vet. 33/40 is the fox valley squirrel formula appropriate for his age.

Spanky
08-24-2019, 09:48 PM
I do not even see a 33/40 listed on the Fox Valley site... there is a 32/40 but by and large we at TSB have found that to be detrimental to young squirrels (less than 4 weeks old) as it often sits like sludge in their tummies.

For a squirrels 4 weeks (28 days) and older they recommend their 20/50 formula and so do we here at TSB:

Day One 20/50 (https://store.FOXVALLEYNUTRITION.COM/day-one-2050) A milk replacer recommended for species having a low protein and high fat requirement for neonatal growth.
Recommended for: Squirrels 4 weeks and older.

https://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/day-one-2050

Aswaroff
08-24-2019, 09:53 PM
I do not even see a 33/40 listed on the Fox Valley site... there is a 32/40 but by and large we at TSB have found that to be detrimental to young squirrels (less than 4 weeks old) as it often sits like sludge in their tummies.

For a squirrels 4 weeks (28 days) and older they recommend their 20/50 formula and so do we here at TSB:

Day One 20/50 (https://store.FOXVALLEYNUTRITION.COM/day-one-2050) A milk replacer recommended for species having a low protein and high fat requirement for neonatal growth.
Recommended for: Squirrels 4 weeks and older.

https://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/day-one-2050

Hmmm very judgmental here have done this for 10 years. Never had a issue like this thought I would ask for recommendations. Please delete my post I am not able to. Also the administrators pm was spam looks like I have been hacked now thanks!!

Spanky
08-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Hmmm very judgmental here have done this for 10 years. Never had a issue like this thought I would ask for recommendations. Please delete my post I am not able to. Also the administrators pm was spam looks like I have been hacked now thanks!!

Not trying to be judgmental, simply went to the Fox Valley site searching for 33/40. There is a 32/40 that was very popular and widely used but a few years ago more and more problems were reported with the use of this formula in baby squirrels (less than 4 weeks). Similar to the Esbilac fiasco that happened around 2010... there are some folks that continue to use FV 32/40 with pinkies though that seems to be the exception and not something I would recommend.

I am not aware of anyone that uses the 32/40 in baby squirrels after 4 weeks... normally they are transitioned to FV 20/50 at that age. I simply quoted the Fox Valley webpage on their recommendation of 20/50 for squirrels 4 weeks and older. Not a judgement, simply relaying the info.

I will report you concerns about spam and hacking to the technical support folks.

Aswaroff
08-24-2019, 10:07 PM
Not trying to be judgmental, simply went to the Fox Valley site searching for 33/40. There is a 32/40 that was very popular and widely used but a few years ago more and more problems were reported with the use of this formula in baby squirrels (less than 4 weeks). Similar to the Esbilac fiasco that happened around 2010... there are some folks that continue to use FV 32/40 with pinkies though that seems to be the exception and not something I would recommend.

I am not aware of anyone that uses the 32/40 in baby squirrels after 4 weeks... normally they are transitioned to FV 20/50 at that age.

I will report you concerns about spam and hacking to the technical support folks.

It is 33/40 not able to edit my post either. Please delete my account

Spanky
08-24-2019, 10:09 PM
It is 33/40 not able to edit my post either. Please delete my account

Can you provide a link to FV 33/40? I still cannot find that... I have never deleted an account so I am unsure how to do that.

I apologize if I have said something to upset you, I was merely trying to help...

Spanky
08-24-2019, 10:13 PM

Maybe I should have been more clear and said Fox Valley 32/40 is not a good choice for squirrels older than 4 weeks old, the 20/50 is much more in line with their nutritional needs. The 20/50 is what the FV folks recommend after 4 weeks.

Nancy in New York
08-25-2019, 07:06 AM
I apologize if I have said something to upset you, I was merely trying to help...

Spanky, you did everything perfectly, like you ALWAYS do.
Thank you for trying to reason with this member and give
her the help she needs.
She had the best of the best trying to offer help!

island rehabber
08-25-2019, 07:39 AM
I suggest leaving the account open for today in case she does come back; her baby certainly needs some help.
Spanky, you are fine as always -- sometimes words on a page seem judgmental because we can't hear a person's intonation. The joy of modern communication....we all come off BLUNT.

Aswaroff, how are the baby's poops? I'm wondering if adding Ultra Boost to the diet (A Fox Valley product) would give some additional help to the fur growing in.

stepnstone
08-25-2019, 07:44 AM
PetAg - Zoologic Milk Matrix 33/40

HRT4SQRLS
08-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Friends, I think there was just a misunderstanding here. The formulas that we recommend on TSB are powdered puppy Esbilac and Fox Valley 20:50. There is another product made by Fox Valley that is marketed for 4 week and younger baby squirrels. That product is FV 32:40. It was at one time the preferred formula for babies. It is no longer recommended because babies can’t digest it. It turns hard in the GI tract and doesn’t move in young babies. When you mentioned 33:40, Spanky automatically thought FoxValley. I would have done the same. We try to warn people with young babies about the problems with 32:40.

I now see that you are not referring to FoxValley but probably Milk Matrix Zoologic 33:40 which is a formula recommended by Chris’s Squirrels and More. That is a very reputable site so I’m sure there are rehabbers that use the Zoologic 33:40. It was a simple misunderstanding birthed with the desire to help you avoid a problematic formula.

You mentioned a 43 day old baby without fur. I have seen this twice. Both times it was in Red squirrels. Flash lived many years and never did grow hair. Upon his passing a necropsy seemed to indicate an autoimmune disorder similar to lupus. The other young squirrel came in hairless and with nutrients did grow beautiful fur. I really don’t know the answer to your dilemma but possible adding extra minerals/vitamins might help. I haven’t personally used it but I know those that have added Nutrical to boost the vitamins/minerals. It certainly wouldn’t hurt and it might be help.

We never knowingly try to offend people. I’m sorry a misunderstanding caused you to be offended.
Spanky is one of the nicest and knowledgeable rehabbers on this board. He wasn’t being argumentative. Sometimes the numbers 33:40 , 32:40 , 20:50 , etc can be a little confusing. It’s as simple as that.