PDA

View Full Version : Hey all! New squirrel mom with a sad night tonight!

Ricksgirl
08-24-2019, 01:48 AM
My daughter's found a baby squirrel 3 days ago, laying on the sidewalk. We left it out for mom, but she never returned. We took her in. That evening my daughter found another baby extremely cold we took him in also. They were both doing good until this am.. gave them there normal kisses went to work came home to find my female not herself when I came home to feed them at lunch. I could hear a slight clicking from her and thought nothing of it since these are my first ever babies! Did some googling and realized it possibly was aspiration pneumonia. Got her into a vet shortly after, they confirmed and thought she had aspirated pneumonia. She was given baytril. Had her first dose at the vet and did not improve, and sadly she passed away this evening. I think it was possibly more to it and she possibly had internal injuries from the fall. Either way I'm heartbroken :( her bother is gonna be extra special to me and I pray he makes it. Any tips? Also considering keeping him if he pulls threw anyone here have a baby they raised and kept? I've heard awesome stories and who're stories after they age lol! Anyways any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

redwuff
08-24-2019, 07:51 AM
Aww....I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Welcome to TSB

We can help you through this magical squirrelly trip. What kind of squirrel is your remaining boy. The most important thing right now is the formula you have your boy on. What are you feeding and how old is he? Pictures would help us a lot!

HRT4SQRLS
08-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Sorry to hear about your baby. Yes, aspiration pneumonia is a serious condition for baby squirrels. It sounds like you did everything possible to save her. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Just curious, what type of squirrel do you have. I’m going to bet that it’s a red squirrel. :grin2
We have another member from your state that has a red squirrel named Ben. :)

Here is a link with information about caring for baby squirrels. It is 6 pages and has a lot of valuable information.
https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-for-a-baby-squirrel/

Ricksgirl
08-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies! We are guessing they are about 3 weeks. I am feeding them puppy replacement. I started with the non flavor pedialyte. Do you recommend adding the whip cream? I think they are grey squirrels. The picture I'm attacking is the female that passed away. I'l post a picture of the rowdy boy after awhile311002311003311003

redwuff
08-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Hey, you got little foxers there. They are my favorite squirrels. What kind of puppy milk replacer are you feedings. Again, sorry for your little girl. If you are feeding the proper Esbilac formula and the boys are doing fine on it, you do not need to add anything to it.

Ricksgirl
08-24-2019, 03:18 PM
I am currently using petlac puppy replacement. They were out of the recommend style of replacer. I'm so worried now that I lost my girl that my boy could possibly go down hill. So far he seems to be normal for the most part but He don't seem to be eating as much today as normally would. Maybe its because I'm home today and am able to feed him more often then I do when I work..i don't know, since these are my first babies! He's still pretty active and wanting to eat. I have 9 doses of the meds I got from the vet yesterday for my girl. I can sometimes here what appears to be the clicking from my boy. Would it hurt to give him a dose of the meds?
My boy a couple hours ago, I think my girls have named him nutty! Lol

Nancy in New York
08-24-2019, 05:39 PM
I am currently using petlac puppy replacement. They were out of the recommend style of replacer. I'm so worried now that I lost my girl that my boy could possibly go down hill. So far he seems to be normal for the most part but He don't seem to be eating as much today as normally would. Maybe its because I'm home today and am able to feed him more often then I do when I work..i don't know, since these are my first babies! He's still pretty active and wanting to eat. I have 9 doses of the meds I got from the vet yesterday for my girl. I can sometimes here what appears to be the clicking from my boy. Would it hurt to give him a dose of the meds?

OK, you need to stop the petlac puppy replacement now.
Many people get these two formula's confused.
This has been shown to bind babies up so that they can't poop.
It sits in their tummies like cement.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?55026-Formula-Warnings

You can find the correct Esbilac formula on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/PetAg-Esbilac-Replacer-Powder-28-Ounce/dp/B0002YFB58/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=powdered+puppy+esbilac&qid=1566686158&s=gateway&sr=8-2

In the mean time you can start with the Goat Milk recipe.
This is only a temporary formula as it doesn't have the correct
nutrional value for a squirrel.

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

GoldenEyes
08-24-2019, 08:06 PM

If your baby is clicking, he might have aspiration pneumonia. You should start a thread in the Emergency (Life Threatening) forum requesting assistance on administering antibiotics. Let them know the weight of the baby in grams and the type of antibiotics you have and the strength in mg and hopefully someone will be here soon to help you.

Ricksgirl
08-25-2019, 09:33 AM
They both weighed the same at the vet. I have individual doses that were given for my girl that passed away. So I have it correct and don't need assistance on dosing right now. I'm just wondering if it would hurt him to give him meds if he dosen't have the start of it. I wanna be safe, he's still acting normal but I feel I can hear the clicking and i don't want to catch it to late.

redwuff
08-25-2019, 11:49 AM
As soon as you can please replace the petlac with Esbilac powder, not liquid. The other product will not Provide the nutrients your boy needs.

You should not be feeding your boy more cos you are home. At 3 wks old he should be fed 6 x a day, eating 5% of his body weight, weighing him once a day in the morning before he eats.

You are asking about giving your boy medication without being sure whether he needs it. That is a tough one. I am one who always wants to err on the safe side about AP. If you feels he needs it, if he is clicking, lethargic, and or very fussy about eating, then give it. As you know, you don’t want to be wrong about AP. But you can’t just give one dose, he needs a three to five day course on Baytril.