PDA

View Full Version : NEW member- have baby squirrel questions

hansen3800
08-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I am new here, I am glad to have found this site. I have a baby squirrel that fell out of a tree with one of his siblings the other one didn't survive the fall. This little guy was injured, a few scratches and a cut on his head. He laid under the tree for 6 hours but mom did not come to get him. I have had him a week today. I started him on pedialye the first day and he has been on esibilac ever since, right now he drinks between 3 to 4cc's every 3 hours. I am going to try to post a picture I was wondering if anyone could tell me approx how old he is? Also could you tell me what kind of squirrel he is? I can tell he is male he has all the parts (lol). You seem like a wonderful and caring group here, I am so glad to have found you!

jules
08-22-2007, 05:14 AM
:Welcome
Im new to this too, but for the past week I have received so much good advice from everyone here - I know Benji and I could not have got by without them:bowdown
There will be someone more experienced than me along soon to answer your questions, but for now, just Make sure he is kept warm at all times. They should feel warmer than your hand. There body temp is usually about 99'f.
And never feed him if he is cold - warm him up first!
Sounds like your doing a good job:thumbsup
Sorry if im telling you what you already know, but its better to be safe than sorry:)
Bye for now:wave123

thundersquirrel
08-22-2007, 05:51 AM
i do believe that is a grey squirrel. he looks around...three weeks old, i'd say. it would help to have a scale- maybe put your thumb next to him?

but i'm pretty sure it's a grey. white belly with no black stripe, long tail, mottled colors- grey squirrel.

more rehabbers will be on soon, i have to go to college now but i'll be on later!

island rehabber
08-22-2007, 08:22 AM
i do believe that is a grey squirrel. he looks around...three weeks old, i'd say. it would help to have a scale- maybe put your thumb next to him?

but i'm pretty sure it's a grey. white belly with no black stripe, long tail, mottled colors- grey squirrel.

more rehabbers will be on soon, i have to go to college now but i'll be on later!

Yeah, yeah sure....skip out on us now, TS, in the middle of a thread just because you have to go to COLL-ege......:poke :D ...
I agree with thundersquirrel -- you have a little male grey squirrel who is about three weeks old. He looks good. You may want to see if he will take a little more formula at less frequent intervals now. For example, try him at 5-7ccs, every four to four and a half hours.......that's more appropriate for a 3+ week old squirrel baby. Keep up the good work, and we're here to help ya!!

hansen3800
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!! I will try waiting 4 hours between feedings, he usually starts getting restless after 3 hours and moving around in his box so I have been just going on his cues. I will look into getting a scale. I have been really careful about aspiration, I have volunteered for a rehab place and have done racoons but this is my first squirrel. I have been keeping him in a small box with a heating pad set on low on half the box so he can move away if he feels too hot, I have been reading the boards here for a few days and have been taking in all the tips and tricks you guys have:) I have put a piece of fleece in the box. My husband has been building a giant release cage for this little guy so when the times comes I will be prepared. The thing that concerns me most is actually my two chihuahuas, they seem almost desperate to get the little guy :nono and they take every opportunity they can to investigate, I am not sure if they are jealous or what. Anyone else have dogs? How do you deal with them and your squirrel? Thanks again for all your great advice!!

jules
08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
:wave123
I have a springer spaniel and she, unfortunately, likes to chase squirrels:nono
Since getting Benji I've had to keep the cage out of her reach. I don't allow her in the same room with me when Im feeding Benji, cos this could stress both of them out, not too mention the chances of an accident:hurt
I plan to move him into another room as he gets older, and in to a bigger cage. she won't be allowed in there at all then so that Benji doe's not get used to dogs, which can be a danger for them after being released back into the wild:shakehead
Hope this is of some help!:)

thundersquirrel
08-22-2007, 04:20 PM
hi, i'm back! (and in my dorm room :) )

it's nice that you've done raccoons- at least you know the basics. how big do you plan on making your cage? remember to do double wire; this will prevent raccoons from ripping your boy's toes off.

let us know if you need more info!

4skwerlz
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes, keep your dog and squirrel strictly apart. Don't even let your squirrel smell the dog on you or anything else if you can help it. If your baby squirrel learns to be friendly with your dog, then when he's released he won't understand that he's supposed to run away from all dogs. He'll end up dinner for the first stray dog that comes along.

hansen3800
08-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Here are some more pictures of Rocky (what we are calling this little guy).
And here is a picture of the release cage my husband is building. It is 3 by 5 feet, I wish it could be bigger but this is the best we can do. Thanks for all the great advice I am trying my hardest to keep the dogs away from Rocky, I am so paranoid about it (lol). I am checking and rechecking constantly to make sure they have not gotten into the room somehow. I have him up high but one of my chihuahua's was caught trying to jump up there. Anyway, he is eating well and growing hair (lol).

jules
08-23-2007, 06:25 AM
I agree with GB he is adorable:Love_Icon
And that cage is fantastic - He's a very lucky baby to have someone like you to care for him:)
Keep up the good work:thumbsup

TexanSquirrel
08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
He is a precious little one!