PDA

View Full Version : How do you scare off hawks?

BamaHam
04-27-2019, 12:28 AM
Released my 4 babies last week and I’ve been seeing Cooper hawks a lot around here. In a couple of months I’ll be releasing my second litter of 3. Looking for some great tips on how to scare off hawks. I’ve tried Mylar balloons but they don’t last. Someone said cds in the trees for distraction. Any good tips appreciated. I use to have a 4 foot stuffed Elmo crucified in the back yard and that worked for a long time. I don’t have him anymore. He was red and had big eyes. I need a scarecrow, or should I say scarehawk.

Mel1959
04-27-2019, 05:50 AM
Shiny whirligigs placed around your yard and in trees, cd discs hung where the wind can move them, bright colored streamers like the kind that kids put on the handlebars of a bike, secured to tree limbs or roof tops, even taking a large piece of wood and painting a big round circle on it filled in with white paint and then painting two large black eyes on it has been known to give hawks pause. You can place multiple pieces of wood throughout your yard or on the roof. The key is to move the items so the hawks are kept off guard.

island rehabber
04-27-2019, 07:00 AM
we use old CD's, shiny side up, on top of our release cages at the nature center. It must be working because prior to putting them up there we had a mamma red-tailed hawk and her little brat sitting on top of the cages waiting for our releases to come home! :eek :madd

stepnstone
04-27-2019, 09:00 AM
All of the above and if you see them perched.... bottle rockets! 309326
The flash and the percussion of a firecracker going off just feet from them is very effective!
For me the use of bottle rockets didn't just make them take flight, they haven't been back
to my squee's area since the start of winter. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

BamaHam
04-27-2019, 10:37 AM
All of the above and if you see them perched.... bottle rockets! 309326
The flash and the percussion of a firecracker going off just feet from them is very effective!
For me the use of bottle rockets didn't just make them take flight, they haven't been back
to my squee's area since the start of winter. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

I do have bottle rockets and haven’t got to use them yet. These birds fly by so fast and are gone. They’re ready to be fired when I see one perched. Thanks!

BamaHam
04-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Shiny whirligigs placed around your yard and in trees, cd discs hung where the wind can move them, bright colored streamers like the kind that kids put on the handlebars of a bike, secured to tree limbs or roof tops, even taking a large piece of wood and painting a big round circle on it filled in with white paint and then painting two large black eyes on it has been known to give hawks pause. You can place multiple pieces of wood throughout your yard or on the roof. The key is to move the items so the hawks are kept off guard.
Thanks! Those are great ideas! I did put some shiny pinwheels along the fence and my yard. I’ll do the cds and painted eyes. My Elmo had big eyes and they were pointed upward. Thanks again!

Diggie's Friend
04-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Hawks can be really gutsy; one even came down within just a few feet of me just above the ground trying to get a gopher.

I use a small Air Horn we got from a home supply store.

The hawk needs to be within approx. 30 ft. ; aim line of sight and it flies right off.

I have used this for years to route hawks on the wires above, and below;

it hasn't seemed to bother the squirrels that were nearby.