PDA

View Full Version : Hair

Pamela
05-13-2006, 01:56 AM
This afternoon I saw a spot on Hurricane's right front leg where the hair was gone. It doesn't have a scratch or sore and is not causing pain. He let me rub on it. The skin is not flaking. I was able to take a picture of it. Does anyone know if this is something that I should worry about. The picture is not very good. Sorry about that. Please help me.

Pamela Hurricane & Mister

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
05-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Pam, here's a good article on hair loss for squirrels.

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fnr/wildlife/newsletter/may05.html

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you see Hurricane getting more of them or if it gets a lot bigger.

One thing that was told to us is to keep their bedding changed every day. I recycle all our old T-shirts for the kids. I clean the cage they sleep in every day with 1/2 clorox and 1/2 water, then put in clean T-shirts, wash them in hot water and bleach too - not the kids! LOL the T-shirts.

Pamela
05-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Thank you for the link. It was very helpful. I do change his bedding every day. But I have only been using a mild soap to clean his cage. I'll use some bleach now.

He doesn't have anymore spot's on him and it looked like hair was coming back today. I would welcome any more links.

I'll try and get a better picture in the morning and post it.

:thankyou

Pamela, Hurricane & Mister.

thundersquirrel
05-14-2006, 10:55 PM
meh, i wouldn't worry much. just keep an eye on the fur overall. a lot of squirrels we've raised have had bald spots, and the fur often grows back. mange is an issue though, so monitor it well. ;)

that is an odd place to get it though, at least by my experience. i've known them to have baldness more on their chests or faces. whateva. :dono