PDA

View Full Version : She just froze up

SquirrelDad
04-12-2019, 04:56 PM
For maybe a whole minute up to three, she just went kind of rigid and stood extremely still and was trembling. She was alert. Was this just a squirrel panic thing? There didn't *seem* to be anything to set her off, but maybe this is a good sign she is getting more wild?

Recently, she took a trip,come may have read on her thread, but anyway, while she was there, I noticed the lady did not seem to have Henry blocks, which is her normal diet mainly. I told her that's what she ate and she did nod and say okay as if she had some, but she fed them these pellets that look like corn and all kinds of junk; seeds, sunflower, dried corn, a lot of nuts... I didn't have any HHBs when she came home because I did not expect her to come back and she left the day I ran out of them. So it has been a week since she was eating her proper diet. I have fed her what I can: the corn looking pellets she was sent home with which she doesn't really eat much of on her own volition, one peacan and hazel nut per day, fresh corn, carrot, peas, green beans, chia seeds, fresh broccoli, frozen cauliflower and a kind of squash I forgot which kind exactly, but one of those good orange ones, fresh yellow squash, and one day she had a piece of grapefruit, on the other she had apple. I think that's everything ...

TubeDriver
04-12-2019, 05:16 PM
That sounds like a terrible long term diet. She needs to be on a rodent block (HHB, Kaytee, Harlan Tekled) of some kind in addition to the veggies you list. Did this rehabber place her in an outdoor release cage?

For maybe a whole minute up to three, she just went kind of rigid and stood extremely still and was trembling. She was alert. Was this just a squirrel panic thing? There didn't *seem* to be anything to set her off, but maybe this is a good sign she is getting more wild?

Recently, she took a trip,come may have read on her thread, but anyway, while she was there, I noticed the lady did not seem to have Henry blocks, which is her normal diet mainly. I told her that's what she ate and she did nod and say okay as if she had some, but she fed them these pellets that look like corn and all kinds of junk; seeds, sunflower, dried corn, a lot of nuts... I didn't have any HHBs when she came home because I did not expect her to come back and she left the day I ran out of them. So it has been a week since she was eating her proper diet. I have fed her what I can: the corn looking pellets she was sent home with which she doesn't really eat much of on her own volition, one peacan and hazel nut per day, fresh corn, carrot, peas, green beans, chia seeds, fresh broccoli, frozen cauliflower and a kind of squash I forgot which kind exactly, but one of those good orange ones, fresh yellow squash, and one day she had a piece of grapefruit, on the other she had apple. I think that's everything ...

SquirrelDad
04-12-2019, 05:47 PM
That sounds like a terrible long term diet. She needs to be on a rodent block (HHB, Kaytee, Harlan Tekled) of some kind in addition to the veggies you list. Did this rehabber place her in an outdoor release cage?

Agreed. The blocks are on the way. She was not in the release cage yet because of the weather. Wanted her first day out to be on a good one.

I forgot to add, I gave her a little honey off my finger and that is what woke her out of this whatever it was. She imediately ran into her nest after she hopped on my shoulder, then off. Didn't seem panicked, but nervous and fearful

TubeDriver
04-12-2019, 07:47 PM
A good release process really requires an outdoor release cage. Minimal contact during this period (just bring food and check water but keep interaction to a minimum) will help her start wilding up!