PDA

View Full Version : Next steps?

Sunflower47
04-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone,

First of all thank you all for sharing your expertise! Ive read a million threads here and y'all have helped me raise up two sweet little fox squirrels from about a week old to now at 9 weeks old! There were some stressful days in there but we've come a long way! So I am looking for any advice on where to go from here to start to get them ready for release.

Dozer & Dash are eating their Fox Valley formula every 5 hours during the day (following the 5%-7% rule but they are getting much harder to weigh these days because they are so active). They get Henry's high protein blocks every morning and they have tried kale and broccoli so far (they snack on them a little bit throughout the day). Dozer prefers the veggies, Dash prefers the blocks, and they both love to chew on sticks.

I have no reservations about Dash, even though he is the smaller of the two brothers, he is feisty and will transition to the wild very easily. Dozer on the other hand has always been my sweet and calm one and he is just a little slower than his brother. He is great at jumping and climbing but still pretty wobbly when hes walking on the ground. If Dozer needs more time than Dash, is it okay to release them separately or would they do better if they go together?

What are the basic steps to weaning? Right now they still go crazy for their formula, so how do I know when they are ready? Then what are the basic steps to releasing them? At what age do you prefer to release them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sunflower47
04-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Dash:

Dozer:

And one of their baby pictures to show how far they've come:

HRT4SQRLS
04-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Hi Sunflower47
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

I’m glad you sought out advise in raising these two early on. I can safely say that rehabbers aren’t weighing the kids when they get to be 9 weeks old. That must be a real job getting those monkeys on a scale. :rotfl
At 9 weeks we don’t follow the 5-7% guideline. They can take MUCH more than 7% at that age. I have an 8 week old that is taking over 10% 4 times a day. He is healthy as a horse and very hungry so I let him eat until he is full... within reason of course. At this age they are growing rapidly so they need more than 7%. We don’t wean them. We let them decide when to stop formula. I have had some start trying to wean at 8 weeks but I discourage it. I want them to take formula as long as they will. When they are weaning you will notice that they want to skip a feeding. Next feeding they are ravenous. Then will drop to 3 feedings, then 2 and eventually might only take formula in the AM or PM. You can also try a bowl. Some drink formula out of a bowl but it can be messy. :tilt

We release at 16 weeks so you have time. 7 more weeks will make a lot of difference so I wouldn’t worry about the slow one right now. He will probably catch up. I would definitely release them together. If there is some reason that Dozer is a non-release that’s different but they do better released together.

Release involves putting them in a release cage outside to acclimate them to the outside. It must be predator proof so they have a safe environment to acclimate. The time in the release cage varies from a few weeks to a month or longer depending on the situation.

HRT4SQRLS
04-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Oh my goodness, they are adorable. :grin2

Sunflower47
04-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Thank you!!

I will up their formula intake and feed them as much as they want now... we just got a fresh bag of formula in the mail today! I'm so glad we don't need to weigh them anymore! The last time I did was about a week ago and Dash was nearly impossible then! lol He certainly lives up to his name!

Nancy in New York
04-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Thank you!!

I will up their formula intake and feed them as much as they want now... we just got a fresh bag of formula in the mail today! I'm so glad we don't need to weigh them anymore! The last time I did was about a week ago and Dash was nearly impossible then! lol He certainly lives up to his name!

Your little ones are adorable! :klunk

Just remember when increasing their formula intake to do so slowly.
Example: If they are taking 10 mls. go up to 11 mls for a couple of feedings if they
want it.
Then if they want more the next few feedings, go up another ml to 12 mls and so on.
Just watch their little tummies that they don't get hard. It should feel like a half filled
water balloon.
You'll know if it gets too hard.
Also if their poops are starting to turn white, or if the consistency changes,
you may want to just cut back a little for a couple of feedings.

Here's an excellent link about the 5-7% rule of thumb from one of our members.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?53433-Let-s-Discuss-the-5-7-Formula-Rule

Sunflower47
04-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Thank you for the reminder!

Another quick question I've been wondering about... should I introduce wild foods or just stick with blocks and grocery store veggies? (I've got the list of good and bad veggies and nuts) I'm just afraid of giving them the wrong wild foods but it seems like a good thing for them to learn about soon.

HRT4SQRLS
04-09-2019, 09:53 AM
At this point I would be cautious with wild food. I do give oak sticks and a small branch with leaves. You might have read this but acorns are risky. I would not feed acorns, especially at this time as they are on the ground and old. Acorns can mold inside and are dangerous. Some fungi produce aflatoxins that are deadly. I wouldn't feed wild mushrooms but the store bought ones are fine.

I wouldn't introduce nut just yet. When they are older they can have one as a treat. Before you release you can give them an inshell nut to open. They need to be able to open a nut before release.

Javarat
04-09-2019, 10:03 AM
I note you said they are 9 weeks old and you are feeding them every 5 hours. (5 times per day?)
So they are probably already acting reluctant to eat at times and eating less than they could.
I normally have my own stepped up to 8 hour feedings at 9 weeks (3 times per day) and they are eating 21 to 27ml of formula per feeding (8% body weight), but mostly blocks and greens.
I often have squirrels that wean themselves during the 8th or 9th week.
And I have also had the odd one who tries to talk me into formula a month after he is released.

HRT4SQRLS
04-09-2019, 02:38 PM
And I have also had the odd one who tries to talk me into formula a month after he is released.

:rotfl And then there is Mel and Mae! :jump

:hello Mel, are you out there? :rofl4