PDA

View Full Version : Possible pneumonia, need to know symptoms

MsOakley
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
One of my 6 week old grey squirrels may have pneumonia. She is making a clicking sound that I've never heard her make. At her 7pm feeding she did take in a little too much formula.They're voracious eaters and really suck hard. She blew some out her nose. I held her upside down and she seemed fine. This is my 4th year of squirrel raising and I've had younger babies that have aspirated more severely and did not develop pneumonia, so I wasn't worried. But now I am. Does it come on this rapidly? Are there other symptoms to look or listen for? I will consult with the licensed rehabber I volunteer for tomorrow, but I was hoping for some feedback from you all tonight. Anybody up feeding pinkies and want to help me out? Thanks.

island rehabber
08-19-2007, 11:32 PM
[quote=MsOakleyAnybody up feeding pinkies and want to help me out? Thanks.[/quote]

Yup, I's here :wave123. Listen carefully to whether the clicking corresponds with her breathing. Sometimes squirrels make a "pft" or click at random moments and this is harmless. Pneumonia clicking is almost like a valve sucking in and out, or a kind of Darth Vader sound. If pneumonia sets in she will be lethargic tomorrow and not interested in eating....but I don't think it would set in that quickly. She may indeed have some gunk in her lungs but it won't necessarily lead to pneumonia.

The thing you can do is give her a preventative dose of antibiotics. Some folks might disagree, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

thundersquirrel
08-19-2007, 11:32 PM
i'm not feeding pinkies, but i'm up. :)

unfortunately, that's potential pneumonia. if the clicking happens as the squirrel breathes, there's a good chance it'll be pneumonia. it's possible that she's been aspirating all along; i once had a baby who was VERY skilled at aspirating but not letting me see. she learned because every time she aspirated, i'd take the food away to let her recover.

i'm not a medical type, however. i know pneumonia is treated with antibiotic, but i'm not entirely sure how severe it has to be to call for treatment. i think that if they clicking continues into tomorrow, she will probably need antibiotic.

until you consult your senior, i suggest you slow things down. if she eats, keep a hand on that syringe and go verrrrrry slowly. it's likely she'll get mad, but that shouldn't matter. voracious babies need to learn how to find a rhythm with their food.

*whoo* i always say more than i thought i would. forgive me if i've over-informed. :D

MsOakley
08-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Thank you both so much for replying. It's definately not a heavy, sucking, Vader-like click. It's very rapid and low volume. If she is just congested ("gunk")but not pneumonia,is there something I can do for her? It's also not just her usual nattering which I know well. I will go slow for sure with future feedings. It's comforting to know you're out there in cyberspace:nurse

thundersquirrel
08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
hmmm.....do you have a humidifyer (sp?) ?

maybe next time you take a hot shower, you could bring her in there? if you can get the air to her- as long as she is secure- the humidity might help to loosen up whatever's in there.

that's all i can think of for now...but again, if the clicking persists, you may want to get antibiotics to be on the safe side. especially if she becomes lethargic or loses appetite.

MsOakley
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, I feel a little silly about this, but the "clicking" was no where to be heard this a.m. Of course, I'm thrilled, but still wonder what is was? Thanks again for your suggestions.