PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal or not? Photos included

Jazzis Mom
03-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Jasmine has a spot on her nose that has lost hair. Think it is a scar but hair not growing back. On inside of her back leg has lost fur . Looks like she has either rubbed it off or licked it off. Now on outside of her leg by her knee appears she may be losing fur. This area I wonder if she is loosing winter fur. None of these areas are big or very worrisome. But want to make sure we are good. 308321308322308323

Mel1959
03-17-2019, 05:37 PM
The one on her nose looks like it is from rubbing it on something, like cage bars if she’s sticking her nose through hardware cloth or bars. My dwarf developed the same wear. It grew back some but not completely even though he no longer does it.

Does Jazzi have access to outside where she could have picked up mites? I’m not sure if the thinning is normal winter hair loss or not. Our Florida squirrels don’t get a winter coat like their northern counterparts.

I am interested to see what other folks say.

Jazzis Mom
03-17-2019, 06:40 PM
No she has not been outside since she was about 2 weeks old. No mites. She must the the cleanest squirrel in Arkansas. She cleans herself and me all the time.

redwuff
03-18-2019, 07:58 AM
As Mel said, her nose is definately a cage rub. Watch her to see if she is fussing and over-grooming on her leg. Have you brought anything like branches in from outside? That hair loss in that spot is not usually a 'mite loss' area.

Jazzis Mom
03-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Yes I have brought in limbs from various trees and dandelion leaves. Could that be a problem?

Mel1959
03-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Could be an allergic reaction, you never know. Mites can also be on tree limbs. Do you have access to kitten Revolution?

Jazzis Mom
03-18-2019, 04:59 PM
I can get some. Would I be able to see mites?

Jazzis Mom
03-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Thinking about it she lays on a certain limb a lot. It has been there all her big girl life. The way she lays reminds me of those pencil friends that you put on a pencil with arms and legs kind of wrapped around the limb.

Mel1959
03-18-2019, 07:17 PM
I can get some. Would I be able to see mites?

No, not necessarily. The kitten Revolution, which is Rx, is safe for squirrels. One drop between the shoulder blades on the skin.

It could be she’s just wearing the fur off from the bark. :dono:dono