PDA

View Full Version : Advanced MBD?

Spanky
03-04-2019, 09:28 PM
This is my first rodeo with what seems to be an advanced case of MBD. At least I hope that is the problem, because the alternative is a all too severe injury.

Sammysmom routed these two my way from a third person (off board) who deserves a ton of credit for working diligently for days to get the person that had these 2 sweeties to relinquish them. On top of that she drove many, many hours round trip today to bring them to me (I cannot say how grateful I am when folks are willing to bring them right to the door... too many of us know just how hard it is to get away for 5 or 6 hours to pick up babies… when we are hopping during baby season!). They were given Henry’s and Bok-Choy on the drive which they seemed to enjoy… which you would not think for squees living on a diet of corn and seeds. Oh, and this will not surprise anyone but KT is out of town (what surprises await her return!!! I digress). I have some of the backstory, but I doubt much what was provided by the person that had them for months is accurate…

These are 2 sisters, fall 2018 babies, are both woefully underweight, showing all the signs of poor nutrition. The better off of the two is a little heavier, very active and mobile. Her tail is recently de-gloved though, about 2 – 3 inches worth.

Her sister has rear end paralysis but she can move her right rear leg some and I have seen her tail flicker and flinch. I have felt spasms in her tail when I am holding her.

I am not sure what kind of hell on earth these two have lived their short lives, but I am sure it is the kind of hell that no animal deserves. They are both so scared you would have thought they were plucked from a nest today and saw a hoomin for the first time.

They have both been started on the MBD protocol. I am working on gaining their trust… anytime I approach, pick up, touch, pet or otherwise interact with the paralysis girl her sister stands vigil in her neighboring cage. They arrived in separate cages that is believed to be where they had been housed for months (a cat carrier and what I am guessing is a mouse cage... I need to post a pic of that thing). And I am keeping them in smaller, separate cages for now. Both their bottoms are a mess and they were swimming in dried corn... apparently corn and seeds were their diet. They both took their doses of calcium well, thank goodness. Paralysis girl seems to like FV… her sis not so much. Both LOVE Henry’s… so this certainly it not a case where they "refused" to eat their block... they were just never given any block.

Here is a picture of sis standing guard and her sister investigating what I suspect is her first squirrel appropriate meal in her lifetime and a couple quick vids of them... scared little munchkins that they are..

This is the ever vigilant girl wit the partially de-gloved tail:

And this is the one with the rear end paralysis:

https://youtu.be/sckvo7KzO0I

https://youtu.be/wDvpaxTr3yo

https://youtu.be/118yhEL9joo

Chickenlegs
03-05-2019, 02:27 AM
Thank you Spanky. The girls lives have taken a HUGE turn for the better. Look forward to seeing them get healthy and strong.

SammysMom
03-05-2019, 10:57 AM
The videos make me weep with relief for them... you are their hero as well as mine. I seem to send more than my fair share your way, Spanky. You never turn away from them, even with many other things on your plate. Thank you...:Love_Icon

Spanky
03-05-2019, 11:03 AM
There seems to be a lot about the information passed along about these girls that does not add up. For starters, they were said to be a year old... we know they are fall babies though.

Another thing is the report that the paralyzed girl has been this way for 2 - 3 MONTHS. I hope this is also inaccurate and I am thinking if that were true she'd have signs of dragging, but looking at her (and this pic) I don't see any evidence of this.... but I know there are so many more TSB folks out there that have so much more experience with long term paralyzed squees: What do you think?

Spanky
03-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Here is a pic of the little cage the paralyzed girl arrived in... it is less than 1 cubic foot. Behind it is the "Ware" cage that we use for 5 - 7 week olds and many are familiar for size comparison. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the mess she arrive in (form the original owner)... a folded towel in the bottom of the cage and she was laying in a pool of dried corn and sunflower seeds. A cotton receiving blanket for her to hide under. I just threw the whole mess away before I thought to take a picture. The other was in what looks like a brand new cat-sized pet carrier.... very pink! It did not seem like her permanent home like the little cage did for the paralysis sufferer.

I do have them in a pair of the Ware cages for now... I think the more healthy one will graduate to a larger cage soon.

CritterMom
03-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Hey, I would also make sure you pick up a couple of reptile UV lights for them. I know the blocks have Vitamin D in them but the lights really do help them metabolize the calcium, which these poor babies need to do.

redwuff
03-05-2019, 12:21 PM
There seems to be a lot about the information passed along about these girls that does not add up. For starters, they were said to be a year old... we know they are fall babies though.

Another thing is the report that the paralyzed girl has been this way for 2 - 3 MONTHS. I hope this is also inaccurate and I am thinking if that were true she'd have signs of dragging, but looking at her (and this pic) I don't see any evidence of this.... but I know there are so many more TSB folks out there that have so much more experience with long term paralyzed squees: What do you think?

Hi Spanky,

Thank you so much for taking these girls on. You da bomb! The paralyzed squirrels that have come to us, when held in the manner you are holding that little one, would totally hang the legs. Something is working somewhere in that girl. Can she urinate and defacate alright?

TubeDriver
03-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting these two! They deserve SO much better than what they have had in the past and now they will get a real chance for a decent life. All those video are terribly sad but the 2nd one really is a heart breaker. :(

The way they are so terrified, one with a degloved tail and another with hind end paralysis makes me wonder if they lived in a home with dogs? If not properly supervised and contained, the dogs may have gotten a hold of these two poor squirrels. Dog attack/shaking could explain the degloved tail on one squirrel and the hind end injury of the other squirrel. I hope it is not this and MBD disease instead (at least for the hind end paralyzed squirrel). If it was a dog attack then pred would be better but all this is speculation and with that diet, MBD is not a matter of it but when.

Spanky
03-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Can she urinate and defacate alright?

Yes, she can do her business on her own.

lukaslolamaus
03-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Thank goodness the sisters are with you:hug
I never dealt with mbd until December of last year and then again the end of January. It was so sad to see them in so much pain and struggling to get around. Fortunately I think they'll both make a full recovery.
Sending prayers for the sisters to make a full recovery too:grouphug

Spanky
03-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Just wanted to pass along this heartwarming update... tonight when I approach the paralyzed girls cage to give an evening dose of Ca, she crawled out from under her fleeces and greeted me. Even tried to climb (pull herself) out of the cage when I opened it. Not chattering. No vocalizations. No shaking... and she enjoyed some snuggles. She was such a sweetie. :Love_Icon

Her sister, well.. she is still chattering but she is at the stage of doing it more for show than anything, so she is coming along too.

TubeDriver
03-05-2019, 08:33 PM
:serene

island rehabber
03-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Wonderful news!

Spanky
03-06-2019, 05:08 PM
A video of the paralyzed one...

https://youtu.be/sMsWyu65D0U

Nancy in New York
03-06-2019, 05:40 PM
I can't tell you how glad I am that you took them out of that hell hole
they were living in.
I can't imagine what their lives were like before you!

Charlie is there a lump on her back or is it just the way she
turned.
At first I thought it was an indentation, where the yellow arrow is,
but watching the video again, I'm unsure.
You can see it better around the 20-27 mark.

Is she on Gabapentin?

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-TDch8xf/0/ccdedb68/M/i-TDch8xf-M.jpg

Mel1959
03-06-2019, 06:16 PM
These girls are so lucky to have landed with you. :Love_Icon. Would prednisone and Gabapentin be okay to give along with the MBD treatment? It seems like you might cover all the bases then.

redwuff
03-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Are you able to get a spinal X-ray? I notice the same area that Nancy noticed. I still wonder about a broken pelvis too. Hopefully she has not been like that for 2 months.:fish:fish

Lord what is wrong with people....

SammysMom
03-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Of course those babies know you're a safe guy! We know how smart they are! :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

Spanky
03-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Are you able to get a spinal X-ray? I notice the same area that Nancy noticed. I still wonder about a broken pelvis too. Hopefully she has not been like that for 2 months.:fish:fish

Lord what is wrong with people....

Yes I can get her X-Rayed. I resisted the impulse to take her for an X-ray immediately because of the backstory and presumption of MBD. That backstory made less and less sense as I heard more and more of the pieces. No one's fault, it was relayed to me and from all accounts the person that had them was evasive and not forthcoming from what I understand. If she had been like this for months (or even weeks), it would require a doting caretaker for her not to have drag burns/marks, hair loss, urine scald and yellow urine stains... or at least that is what I would imagine? And none of that was in evidence in the little cage she arrived in... she was not put in there just for the hand-off, the linens were a few days old. On the flip side, I am pretty sure her sister was only in the pet carrier for the transfer. Then there is the sister's freshly de-gloved tail and her being so much better off in terms of MBD, despite shared crappy diets. Two traumas too coincidental IMO.

My clinic is closed Wednesday afternoons.

Would prednisone and Gabapentin be okay to give along with the MBD treatment?

She is currently on gabapentin, but not pred (or dex or any steroid). And tramadol for pain.

Charlie is there a lump on her back or is it just the way she
turned.
At first I thought it was an indentation, where the yellow arrow is,
but watching the video again, I'm unsure.
You can see it better around the 20-27 mark.

Is she on Gabapentin?

When I checked, I did not think there was anything there. But I have noticed a "hitch" in her spine a bit lower (praying it is nothing). I do not feel any obvious structural issues (bones) other than that possible spot on her lower spine.

Her left foot is definitely worse off, toes seems to be listless. But she can move both legs but her right leg is much better. She even does the scratching thing with that right leg in short bouts. I have not seen any tail movement today...

This is new to me.. unlike the other paralysis I have treated.. of course, I was certain those were traumas. Like I said to start, my first up close personal with MBD if that is what this is... I hope it is. I fear it is not.

Spanky
03-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Doc says there are no breaks in the legs or pelvis, he sees a bit of misalignment in her lower spine. Below is the x-ray, though not a great clear picture. You can see the lower 4 vertebra (maybe?) that are pushed up a bit. (Yes, those are human hands (actually mine) holding her... ).

He gave her a more thorough physical exam (rough?) than I had and during that time she did move that left leg (she has always moved the right more) and her tail. You can see her legs extended for the X-Ray, she was pulling them back up (both). He is convince she is suffering advanced MBD and to stay the course and not add an anti-inflammatory. He believes she has a good chance of recovering... and he told me it was better than what he was expecting before the x-ray.

I am feeling much better now...

The bad news is her sister is not feeling well, she did not eat any breakfast this morning.. it was still untouched when I got home. I am going to add heat to her cage and increase the Ca (her poo is still dark); her sister's Ca is being reduced / tweaked since she has been pooing some Ca.

SammysMom
03-07-2019, 02:05 PM
This made my day! I hope Sister feels better soon. Maybe a tummy ache from eating real food. Is she pooping enough?

Spanky
03-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Is she pooping enough?

I cleaned her cage last night (well, every night because they are so small) and she had been pooping great. Just now, just a few (4) turds... I will keep watching. Her anus is no longer swollen and back to normal.

When I got home I did encourage her to drink from the water bottle and she took quite a bit. I think I need to continue encouraging her to drink.
Is a little banana okay (Ca 0.3 : 1 P)?

She is much smaller than her paralyzed sister (nearly 100 grams smaller).

SammysMom
03-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Give her a bit of molasses in water via syringe.

Spanky
03-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Give her a bit of molasses in water via syringe.

I did this a while ago and when I came down to give the next Ca dose she had been rummaging through her buffet. :bliss

I suspect my initial optimism that they were welcoming the new healthy diet and not looking back may have been a bit off... at least for this little one. She'll eat the Picky HHB but not the Wild Bites. This may come down to a battle of wills on diet... she is so sweet I can see how she well may have had her hoomin trained.

Spanky
03-18-2019, 07:02 PM
I had not seen any appreciable improvement on the MBD protocol so after getting some other input I started her on prednisone a week ago and am stretching out the dosing. I *think* we are making progress, slow but sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy1DrnOQeX8

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy1DrnOQeX8&feature=youtu.be)

Mel1959
03-18-2019, 07:23 PM
That’s definitely some good coordinated movement! :serene

Nancy in New York
03-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah, those little legs sure are kicking! :w00t

Spanky
03-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Look at her go! She's not walking with them yet, but if I had a squirrel bike she'd be blazing trails!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO3Cin8KCTI&feature=youtu.be

Nancy in New York
03-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Amazing.
Look at her go.
Too darn cute for words.
How long are you going to keep her on Prednisone?
I like what I'm seeing already.

redwuff
03-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Wowser Spanky, that is some kind of great change. Is this the little one you put on prednisone? How is the sister doing?

Spanky
03-25-2019, 02:48 PM
How long are you going to keep her on Prednisone?

She is on the 3rd stage of the protocol, half doses every other day. I will keep her on that this week assuming she does not decline, then stop it and see. Open to feedback as always though! :thumbsup

Spanky
03-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Is this the little one you put on prednisone?

Yes!!!

How is the sister doing?

She is doing super terrific... thanks for bumping me to update on her.

We did have a touch and go weekend after my post about her not feeling well. I blame myself that maybe I missed something, paying too much attention to big sis and not enough to list sis. I was in fear of losing her for over a day.

So I posted on Thursday (3/7) she was not feeling well when I returned home from the vet with Big Sis that afternoon. She seemed to be better that evening and okay Friday but Friday evening I became concerned again, even checked on her at 3AM Saturday (after feeding babies) and all seemed okay. But by 6AM she was in trouble, maybe I missed something at 3AM, was not thorough enough in checking her or I was still asleep? She was badly dehydrated. A trip to the vet, sub-q's and touch and go pushing oral fluids (Diastat) until about 4AM Sunday she woke me up (she was next to my bed in a small cage) drinking from her water bottle!!!! By 6:30AM she was rattling her cage, climbing about trying to wake me up... of course this was Spring Forward day!!! I rarely have been so thrilled.

My take-away was that while I was offering water, and she was taking it, it was from her water bottle that I would hold for her. She would readily drink anytime I held it to her... even saw her at the bottle at other times too. The bottles were not clogged up and the same type of bottle on most of the cages (I even rotate them when filling). In retrospect, while it seemed she drank a long time and was getting a lot of water she must not have been getting near what I thought... because she became dehydrated. Next time (if there is one) I will give the fluids orally with a syringe (even if more challenging) since I'll *know* how much they are actually getting.

Her de-gloved tail has dried up and only a few days ago the last of it fell off (or was removed?)... it went in two stages / pieces.

Today she is a very happy little girl, graduated to bigger cage. I regret not having better chronicled the diet change-over. Today they love their block, pig out on their healthy buffet with Avocado being a run-away fav... which I am okay with these munchkins eating as much (within reason) avocado as they want! My first rodeo of terrible corn and seed diet to the healthy diet. To be honest, I expected them to put up a bigger fight based on the experiences shared by members on TSB. Maybe since they were not given options, there was not an "argument" to be had? :dono

My remaining concern is whether she will "grow" any more... she is a wee 302 grams today. A little healthier than when she arrived, but that be more a healthy weight gain versus weight gain from growing. Big Sis is a little over 400grams, so she would be a smallish female for around here, but Lil Sister could really benefit from some growing up!

I wonder if any TSBers have any experience with similar situations, dietary induced stunted growth up until 7 months (+/-) and a switch-over to a healthy diet... did they ever "grow-up"?

Pics from today:

SammysMom
03-25-2019, 05:11 PM
I knew you were their very best chance!!! Thank you so much for giving them such a wonderful.new chance at normal squirrel life.
Those littleegs bicycling along made me cry with happiness for her. :Love_Icon

Milo's Mom
03-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Spanky, not sure if this is what you're looking for or not.

I have a little guy, Crazy Boy; he was fed diluted goats milk and peanuts for the first 10 weeks of his life. When we got him he screamed if anything touched him and he ran in circles constantly. Tight, nose to tail circles. We couldn't do the classic MBD treatment with the shake...we couldn't touch him and he was too busy screaming in terror to even try the syringe.

We went with measured calcium on his solid foods and I put him on HHB's the moment I got him to my house. (the Center kept him for 2 months before they suddenly needed room for the raccoons)

He is small for his age, but he has grown. Certainly not to full size, but he did grow. His fur is great, his tail is amazing and he's my pint sized little spinner boy. The Henry's diet did wonders for him...so much so when the Director was at my house a few months later she asked who it was. She didn't believe that it was the same squirrel. He still circles, but he's now able to sit and focus and look at things. He can walk a straight line and he is a good climber.

He is the size of a released Spring baby during their first Fall. Almost big, but not quite. Maybe double the size he was when we got him and he's 4 years old.

Spanky
03-25-2019, 06:54 PM
He is the size of a released Spring baby during their first Fall. Almost big, but not quite. Maybe double the size he was when we got him and he's 4 years old.

Thank you for providing this hope! This girl is a bit older, but I would love for her to increase her size by growing 1/3... I'll take 1/4 if that is all that is possible! :bowdown

Spanky
03-25-2019, 06:59 PM
I knew you were their very best chance!!! Thank you so much for giving them such a wonderful.new chance at normal squirrel life.
Those littleegs bicycling along made me cry with happiness for her. :Love_Icon

:thumbsup ... she is bringing two more here tomorrow.

redwuff
03-25-2019, 07:01 PM
:thumbsup ... she is bringing two more here tomorrow.

Uggg:grouphug I hope they are not in the horrible shape these girls are in.

Spanky
03-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Uggg:grouphug I hope they are not in the horrible shape these girls are in.

These are two older ones, a boy and a girl, that found a person via warm tree syndrome. Thankfully the "warm tree" did not freak out... but unfortunately the same warm tree ran over a nursing mother 5 days earlier. They are older (bushy tails, climbed a warm tree)... I understand they are in good shape, despite the presumed 5 days away from mom. Hopefully smooth sailing with these two (I hope not to be asking too much!).

SammysMom
03-25-2019, 11:14 PM
Oh Lord...what have I done? As if you dont get enough on your own! :eek

Spanky
03-26-2019, 07:34 AM
Oh Lord...what have I done? As if you don't get enough on your own! :eek

:laugh2

You did exactly what we all do... tried to find the best option for squirrels in need. On her first trip here she had asked very nicely if I was okay with her keeping my contact information etc. I have also offered to assist her with releases as she in not bale to release at her place. She also has a singleton 7 week old that I believe she wants to incorporate with the 6 week olds I have.

Uno's Mom
03-27-2019, 07:00 PM
:laugh2

You did exactly what we all do... tried to find the best option for squirrels in need. On her first trip here she had asked very nicely if I was okay with her keeping my contact information etc. I have also offered to assist her with releases as she in not bale to release at her place. She also has a singleton 7 week old that I believe she wants to incorporate with the 6 week olds I have.

Doesn't sound like a quiet spring after all!:grin2

Spanky
07-30-2019, 09:27 PM
"Polly" is still with me and she remains compromised... but improving ever so slowly / slightly. She can use her rears legs, but they simply seem incapable of supporting her weight. My plan is round three of local X-rays and if nothing some of that a trip to Dr. E for more comprehensive eval... .

Polly's sister "Penny" has been released and living the squirrel's life Sandy's Sanctuary. She visits often and is a happy, healthy, wild squirrel loving her life in the tree tops!

Diggie's Friend
08-02-2019, 01:11 PM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4565266/

Pycnogenol® (40 mg/kg) can inhibit aggravated bone resorption, prevent BMD loss, and restore the impaired trabecular microarchitecture in OVX rats after 9-week-intervention.

With the dosage noted for the rats weight in this study at 4 mg. PYC for 220 gram rats, by weight for a squirrel, for example, 650 grams, the closest comparable dose using simple division of the powder contents of one capsule of PYC (15 mg.), by three then using two parts, is (10 mg.). This same dosage for PYC was used in other rat studies to ameliorate other health conditions.

That this was done in female rats, is for reason tis is the model used in osteoporosis studies in rats. Gender is only a factor as far as the model to create osteoporosis in rats, not a matter of PYC working only in female rats. Pycnogenol also has an added bonus as it is also an analgesic; yet this source lacks the negative side effects associated with NSAIDS.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origins-Pycnogenol-cap-Vegi/dp/B00FY74OTC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=healthy+origins+30+mg.+pycnoge nol&qid=1564768479&s=hpc&sr=1-4

Diggie's Friend
08-06-2019, 04:16 AM
In using PYC from the 30 mg. "Healthy Origins Pycnogenol", to determine the dose by weight of the squirrel, multiply (4 x (?) the weight of the squirrel, then divide by the original wt. for the rats, 220, to get the amount of mg. of PYC .

For example: If the squirrel weighs 400 grams, then multiply the weight 400 x 4 = 1600, and divide the total by 220, which comes to (7.27 mg.)

Next, decide how best to divide the powder to get the closest dose determined for the squirrel which isn't always the same number depending upon the amount determined by weight. In this case, dividing the total powder into 4 equal parts would provide approximately (7.5 mg.) Since a tiny amount is lost in dividing this powder it should come out very close to the amount of this example.

I found that using the waxy side of a piece of butcher paper works well to support dividing the powder of the capsule using a one-sided razor blade, into equal portions.. Once divided, use a scissors to cut the paper in two parts, with the one portion on one side, and the excess portions on the other. From there, put a crease in the paper to funnel the left over powder into a holding plastic container for future use. For the one portion on the other piece of paper, divide it into two parts; include one half with the AM meal, and the other with the PM meal.

Again this amount is just an example, not necessarily what your squirrel's present weight is to use in the calculation. If you need help with this, PM me.

Spanky
08-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Thank you DF for the info, I have ordered the PYC from Amazon yesterday and will give it a go when it arrives. I believe I should be alright in determining the correct dose for weight and measuring / separating out the dosage from the capsule. But, should that I change I will indeed reach out to you.

Another thing I find very curious about this girl is her love of dried banana chips (no sugars nor nitrates, banana and nothing but banana). She loves them like they were nuts... I cannot help but suspect there is some nutrient in the banana her body is craving. Any ideas?!?!?

PS Polly's sister Penny is free in the trees, she does visit often... she is happy and healthy living the squirrelly life in the treetops!!!

Diggie's Friend
08-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Not surprisingly liking the dried banana chips; concentrating sugars, fats, and protein, which intensifies its flavor and sweetness.
It also may be for the gnawing value it has when dried, like a 'goodie' to a squirrel. There is a mineral that bananas are higher in, magnesium; this could be promoting her desire for the dried banana.

Research in bone health in the rat has recently found that a closer ratio of Calcium to Magnesium (3.3:1) (Ca:Mg) supports greater bone density compared to (10:1) Ca:Mg of the old standard of 1995, used as the, 'control' it was compared to in this same study. Therats were also put into menopause, which lowers estrogen levels to nil; this, says much about the efficacy of magnesium to support bone health in the rats, as estrogen one of the key hormones responsible for supporting the absorption of calcium into the bloodstream.

Raising magnesium in the diet is done in small steps, starting with the lowest increase, raise it after a few days up to the next step, and then the next, and so on till bowel tolerance is reached (loosened soft stool). Then lower the amount down two minimal increases, which will firm up the stool. . I can estimate the amount of magnesium if one particular rodent block is used, as the data on this isn't just noted in percentages, but also in mg. If you happen to be interested in doing this, PM me.

Spanky
01-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Polly is simply... amaZING! She is starting to actually use her rear legs funtionally... she is actually "using" them.... I have seen her lift her rear end up on occasion. This girl seems to be on a slow and steady improvement path... did I mention how AMAZing she is! Best therapy is simply wide open spaces (out of cage time).

I hope to get a video if her "running" soon... yes, she "runs" (and I always cry out "Run Polly, RUN!!!").
<span style="font-family: comic sans ms">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRClbvPFug&amp;feature=youtu.be

And in case you missed it... she lifted her tail up over her back at the 8 second mark. Did I mention this is one AMAZing girl? :bliss

(2019 was a tough rehab year... I have been reminding myself there were lots of wins among the heartbreaking loses... this is one big win...)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRClbvPFug&feature=youtu.be)

HRT4SQRLS
01-12-2020, 07:03 PM
Thanks for sharing Spanky. I think we all need to see some happy news after last year.
Who knows how far she will progress! :clap

RockyPops
01-12-2020, 09:07 PM
Yay Polly.... Yay Spanky!!!:w00t

:w00t:clap:clapMy heros's for today!!!:dance:dance:clap

Diggie's Friend
01-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Glad to see the squirrel is recovering. Just a thought, have you tried Pycnogenol?

In this study. despite the drop in estrogen that is a key factor in Calcium absorption, PYC inhibited bone loss in rats. With normal hormone levels, be a rodent male or female, it supports bone density.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4565266/

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Orgins-Pycnogenol-Capsules-Count/dp/B00CLYNA14/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pycnogenol+healthy+origins+30+ mg.+60+count&qid=1578942535&s=hpc&sr=1-4

Healthy Origins 30 mg. capsule divided into 16 parts give to parts daily with yogurt or wet food.

Spanky
01-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Glad to see the squirrel is recovering. Just a thought, have you tried Pycnogenol?

Yes, you had recommended Pycnogenol back in August and I got some right away. Thank you.

I am inclined to believe in addition to the MBD Polly suffered trauma of some sort. Polly came here with her sister Penny, and Penny had a freshly degloved tail (only a few inches though). The guy that had Polly was not very compassionate and complained that Polly was a mean, unfriendly squirrel. After she got acclimated and over her fear of the new place here she has been nothing but a sweetie. Sure, I got a few blood-drawing bites at bath time, but these days she is resigned to getting them regularly... though now she will still bite (nip?) but not draw blood... just enough to let me know she is done with bath time so I respect her "request" and wrap it up... until the next time!

Diggie's Friend
01-14-2020, 02:59 AM
Poor baby; it's a hard knock life for squirrels!

I know I have recommended a lower dose for maintenance; yet with this condition I would give a higher amount daily, as it's not going to hurt her. Consider trying 1/4 portion of the capsule and adding a bit more to it like 1/16 portion, to see if she show more improvement. It's truly an amazing source, closest one to that of the inner (cambium layer) of tree bark consumed by squirrels in the spring, that contains higher amounts of polyphenols.

Sorry I didn't read my own post above, late here just thought I would get one more post before retiring.
I just don't have a memory for that kind of thing anymore, just the research moreover. :embar

island rehabber
01-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Amazing, Spanky -- truly! What a beautiful girl she is, and so lucky to have ended up with YOU. :bowdown

TubeDriver
01-14-2020, 08:56 AM
That is amazing progress! :w00t She is really using those hind legs, pushing off them and walking. My guess is that she will continue to grow stronger and faster. Great job! :great

Spanky
02-06-2020, 09:12 PM
More recently when I give Polly scritchings... her rear leg goes berserk scratching her ears. She pushes off me with her rear legs with force and a purpose... on occasion she raises herself up on those back legs and bears weight.

She continues to amaze me with her slow but steady progress... she is simply amazing!

Mel1959
02-07-2020, 09:39 AM
More recently when I give Polly scritchings... her rear leg goes berserk scratching her ears. She pushes off me with her rear legs with force and a purpose... on occasion she raises herself up on those back legs and bears weight.

She continues to amaze me with her slow but steady progress... she is simply amazing!

Is she still on any medication? Or is the progress she’s making now just her body strengthening and time passing?

Chirps
02-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Somehow I missed this thread. So wonderful to see hopeful signs, no matter how small.

I DID. I DID see her curl her tail over her back!

:dance:dance:dance:dance:dance

Keep going, Polly!

Spanky
02-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Is she still on any medication? Or is the progress she’s making now just her body strengthening and time passing?

At this time she is not on any medications.... her history is not really known and it is suspected her back end was paralyzed for an extended period (months?). Her recent improvements seem to be a slow but steady strengthening and improvement with time.

Nancy in New York
02-07-2020, 02:24 PM
... she is simply amazing!

She is amazing, as are you!
Neither one is giving up.

The beginning of their lives, would tug
on anyone's heart.

I love this thread........now.:w00t

Spanky
01-27-2022, 07:04 PM
Polly is still with me and she has pretty well plateaued in her recovery. She can use her rear legs, but they generally cannot support her full weight... but she frequently, though briefly, will lift herself up, she cannot walk / run like that. But she seems happy and healthy, with all the ups and downs of being a para...