PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Tooth

Mel1959
11-14-2018, 11:37 AM
A friend sent me this picture of a squirrel with this tooth problem. The squirrel didn’t have this problem when it was released. Luckily it stuck around and the rehabber noticed the tooth problem and was able to recapture it. It’s going to make a visit to Dr. E on Sunday for treatment.

I wanted to share the picture because I had never seen anything like this and figured others hadn’t either.

Scooterzmom
11-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Poor, poor baby. That must be sooo painful.
:sad

TubeDriver
11-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Capturing and treating is the only way to save his life. Good luck!

Jen413
11-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Did it grow out of his mouth then curl around to cut into the chin or did it cut through the chin then curl up toward the mouth?

SammysMom
11-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Holy crap! :eek. Thank goodness he stuck around and can get help. Can she clip that damned thing off?

Mel1959
11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Did it grow out of his mouth then curl around to cut into the chin or did it cut through the chin then curl up toward the mouth?

I’m not sure. I haven’t examined the squirrels mouth. I wondered if it might be a third incisor tooth that grew out from the gum line. It also looks like it could have curled inside the mouth and then grown through the chin. Either way I would think it needs to be surgically removed. I will certainly update once Dr. E evaluates the situation.

stepnstone
11-14-2018, 06:46 PM
WoW! That's incredible, http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/shocked/shocked-smiley-emoticon.gifpoor baby...

See if they (or Dr. E) will take more detailed pictures before removal.

Spanky
11-14-2018, 09:42 PM
I had a release return with a terrible injury last year that turned out to be a gunshot wound to her jaw. Her incisors were gone but when her lower teeth grew back, they grew through the underside of her jaw just like in the picture. But with Opal, her lower jaw was already traumatically injured. I took her to Dr E but her jaw was so compromised she had to have her incisors had to be removed. I hope this baby has a better prognosis; she certainly will be getting the best care. :hug

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57853-Jaw-Head-Injury-One-of-the-kids&highlight=Opal

Mel1959
11-15-2018, 05:51 AM
I had a release return with a terrible injury last year that turned out to be a gunshot wound to her jaw. Her incisors were gone but when her lower teeth grew back, they grew through the underside of her jaw just like in the picture. But with Opal, her lower jaw was already traumatically injured. I took her to Dr E but her jaw was so compromised she had to have her incisors had to be removed. I hope this baby has a better prognosis; she certainly will be getting the best care. :hug

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?57853-Jaw-Head-Injury-One-of-the-kids&highlight=Opal

Actually this squirrel had an injury (a cut) on the chin when she was originally found. It makes me wonder if it might be the same situation as Opal. :dono

Chickenlegs
11-24-2018, 01:10 AM
This from a friend in Florida who loves squirrels.

“This squirrel had it's jaw damaged by a chainsaw causing one of the incisors to grow from under the skin at an angle. A host of people got together to get her to Dr Emerson on Sunday who generously volunteered her off time to do the surgery. Depending on how the remaining teeth wear will determine if release is possible. If not the rehabber volunteered to keep her as a non-releasable.”

I believe her name was “Lucky Lucy”. Thanks to a compassionate vet and careing people, her luck keeps on getting better and better.