PDA

View Full Version : New member just sayiing hello

Chris79
10-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Hi. New member. Just wanted to say hello. I recently lost one of the most loving animals I have ever met. I nurse her from a baby and she lived with us free for a couple of months. At night she slept in a pet carrier where she had things to nest in and we fed her squirrel cake and a more expensive brand of small pet mix. Tried to release her several times and she wanted to stay with me. Last time she was actually stretching for me to get her. Except at night she was free to roam our home. But this past weekend when I woke up I found that she had passed ☹️ I feel I had let her down somehow. She brought so much happiness in our life. As for now I putting feeders in my trees and taking feeding the squirrels that are in my yard. My Hammy has taken a peice of me and I just want to make sure I do the best things for the next baby I save. I know on this board I will find the best advice for these lovely animals.

redwuff
10-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the hello. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. That is very tragic! Please show us a picture of your little girl so we can know her also, if only in passing.:grouphug

Chris79
10-24-2018, 08:55 AM
I would love to, but im not sure how to post pictures

redwuff
10-24-2018, 09:06 AM

hi Chris, I posted that picture to make sure I could do it.

Ok, on the tool bar above where you write to respond to a thread, in the 2nd row, 4th box across there is an icon of a frame with a tree in it. Press that and that will take you to your photos on your phone or computer, pick a picture press file underneath and it should show up as an attachment. Let us know if that does not work for you.

The picture is my little downs/dwarf named Ripley. He has his own thread called"Ripley....believe it or not.

redwuff
10-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Chris,

If you feel like it feel free to share with us what happened to your sweet girl. We most likely can tell you what happened. Raising a baby squirrel, although not rocket science, is more fidley than one would ever think. They are one of the cutest animals on earth and have the tendency to crawl right into your heart. I am glad you want to learn because once you have one, more will follow.

Chris79
10-24-2018, 12:30 PM
I am learning how to navigate the site and on my phone makes it kinda difficult, but when I get home I will get on my laptop and respond and post pictures of my little furry angel.

Chris79
10-24-2018, 03:10 PM
306086Hammy����

TubeDriver
10-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Hammy is very cute! :grouphug I am so sorry your little friend passed away. :grouphug I know it can be heartbreaking when we lose our little friends. :(

Please stick around, the TSB is a great place to learn about raising and releasing squirrels should another squirrel ever find a way to you!

Chris79
10-24-2018, 03:29 PM
We found her and im guessing she was about 6 weeks old. She had fallen from her tree, but we have a trampoline underneath. She didn't run very fast so I knew she wasn't feeling well. We gave her some time to see if her mom would come get her, but she didn't. So I went out and scooped her up and spent most of my time home with her. Kept her warm and close. We gave her puppy formula and brought her back to health and started feeding her solid foods. Like I said on my first post. Most of the time she was playful and loving. Generally stayed on me. Before I knew it she knew her name and came to me if I called for her. I even made the mistake to call her while I was in the shower. I was a little scratched when she jumped in with me, but I loved our bond and eventually she loved showers. Mostly I only let my older daughters and my wife play with her often because new people made her nervous and I was very protective of her. The night before she passed she seemed fine. Playful loving as usual running all over us and the living room. The next morning my wife did the normal routine of letting her wake me up. She opened the Pet Cab where we kept her only while we sleep for her protection from our bigger dog. She seemed to love it because she made her nest and had a warm spot right next to where we slept. She reached in to get her and she had passed. It destroyed me. To this day I constantly think of her and the joy she brought to me and my family. Her tree will have her name and a heart around it. Near the tree is where I buried her in a sealed box so nothing could get to her. I will NEVER FORGET HER

Chris79
10-24-2018, 06:54 PM
306092Baby Hammy

Chris79
10-24-2018, 06:57 PM
306093:Love_Icon

Chris79
10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
306094H306094Hammy about to get in the shower with me

Chris79
10-24-2018, 07:03 PM

Chris79
10-24-2018, 07:04 PM
I have lots of video and pictures of her. We miss her so much.

HRT4SQRLS
10-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Hi Chris. Welcome to The Squirrel Board.
You will find many here that understand exactly how you feel. I am so sorry for your loss. Hammy was precious and you definitely will NEVER forget her. They work their way into your heart and become a part of who you are. A similar thing happened to me with my first squirrel and I have never forgotten him either.

Keep posting pics and video also. It will be a memorial for your friend that you can share with others.

camping momma
10-30-2018, 07:38 AM
306092Baby Hammy

Oh My Gosh, What a cutie!! You must have Great memories of your baby!!

island rehabber
10-30-2018, 07:42 AM
She was absolutely beautiful and looked very healthy. I am very, very sorry for your loss, Chris and family. If nothing else, you have found a group of kindred squirrel-loving souls here who understand how hearthbreaking it is to lose a squirrel friend. I lost a non-releasable squirrel last month who was a member of our family for five years. Devastating.

PatriciaJames
11-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Hello!!
Welcome to this board!
All the Squirrel looks so cute and amazing!