PDA

View Full Version : Two Baby review ?’s

Snicker Bar
10-01-2018, 01:26 PM
It’s posted somewhere I’m sure, but at what age can we stop manually stimulating for pee/poo? The littles are just starting their 6th week.

Also, when can they graduate from a tub to a small cage with bars to help practice climbing skills

And how long continue heat pad?

Javarat
10-01-2018, 03:34 PM
It’s posted somewhere I’m sure, but at what age can we stop manually stimulating for pee/poo? The littles are just starting their 6th week.Pretty much once they open their eyes.. but I go until 6th week to monitor it.

Also, when can they graduate from a tub to a small cage with bars to help practice climbing skillsThey can go anytime. Tub is mostly to contain heat and avoid drafts. They start 'wanting' to climb in 6th week.

And how long continue heat pad?I do it until I notice they have not used it for about a week.

Snicker Bar
10-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Thanks! They’re just getting stir crazy in the tub. I have a small cage we could start with but I’ll keep the heat going , and pee/poo duty. At least fawns are down to one bottle daily!!

Javarat
10-01-2018, 05:22 PM
At least fawns are down to one bottle daily!!Are you saying they are only fed formula once per day?
6 week olds are normally fed formula every 5 hours... about 4 to 5 times per day.
They then shift to...
7th week - 6 hour feedings (4 times per day)
8th week - 8 hour feedings (3 times per day)
9th week - 12 hour feedings (twice per day)
10 and up - once per day

Snicker Bar
10-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Oh gosh no; sorry for the confusion I was referring to the baby deer ( three little
bucks) . Between them and the sudden influx of squirrels with varying ailments I feel like a breastfeeding mom again ; round the clock something is needing milk or food lol. So this is week 12 for the deer, and we are down to just one bottle a day per fawn. These two (6 week) squirrels have been getting at least 5 formula feedings daily . And just now offering a block or two. And the older two ( ages?) are starting to not want formula much at all . So finally seeing some relief ( and zzzz’s ) at night :)

Javarat
10-02-2018, 01:09 AM
Oh! You are the one with the fawns! LOL
Super Cool. I envy you the sleep :p

Snicker Bar
10-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Sorry , forgot to ask when do we start to offer water?

HRT4SQRLS
10-03-2018, 09:57 PM
I usually go to a larger bin and then to a low cage. You don't want them climbing high when they are young. Mine get a low cage around 7-8 weeks. I hung a water bottle when they started eating solid food pretty well. I guess that was around 7 weeks. One jumped on it like she was dehydrated. Other than that I haven't seen much interest in the water bottle.

Snicker Bar
10-03-2018, 11:54 PM
Thank you Hrt; I’ll upgrade them this weekend ( week 7).

Sottinger
10-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Are you saying they are only fed formula once per day?
6 week olds are normally fed formula every 5 hours... about 4 to 5 times per day.
They then shift to...
7th week - 6 hour feedings (4 times per day)
8th week - 8 hour feedings (3 times per day)
9th week - 12 hour feedings (twice per day)
10 and up - once per day

You really must tell me how to feed 5x a day every 5hrs 😜 i keep coming up short ;) please excuse the humor.. my babies are a little older and eating 3x a day now but I seriously did the math in my head trying to figure this out last week! LOL

Sottinger
10-04-2018, 01:11 AM
I completely free fed my first so I’ve been an avid reader (and weigher) with the new three. Well until recently.. the female is all over the place and won’t sit still for a weight. How else to feed her except by her appetite?

Javarat
10-04-2018, 01:16 AM
You really must tell me how to feed 5x a day every 5hrs 😜 i keep coming up short ;) please excuse the humor.. my babies are a little older and eating 3x a day now but I seriously did the math in my head trying to figure this out last week! LOLIf you feed every 5 hours.. you get almost 5 per day.
You can make two of them 4 1/2 hours if you want to keep the schedule on the same hours each day.
For instance: midnight - 5am - 9:30am - 2:30pm - 7pm

Sottinger
10-04-2018, 01:24 AM
If you feed every 5 hours.. you get almost 5 per day.
You can make two of them 4 1/2 hours if you want to keep the schedule on the same hours each day.
For instance: midnight - 5am - 9:30am - 2:30pm - 7pm

Definitely thank you for clarification!! We’re past that thankfully for my sake ;) but this will be super valid for someone else in the near future! I just knew I couldn’t do 5x five hours to the mark and figured I’d give you some grief explaining ;)