PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Kbroset
09-25-2018, 09:11 PM
I have a baby boy (Oliver) who opened one eye on the 18th and the second 2 days ago so I’m not sure how old he is. He’s starting to walk around a lot but he’s very wobbly. And he doesn’t have control of his tail yet. He’s not interested in any food other than his formula. I’m wondering if he should be farther along then he is? My husband was in our backyard when a branch broke on a tree. He went to see what happened and saw a snake and Oliver was next to him covered in slime (I’m guessing the snake had him and when he fell he let him go??). I guess I’m wondering if maybe he could be developing slow because he fell so far? All the pictures I’ve seen online show the squirrels that look like him are standing and eating solids. Maybe I’m worrying for no reason but I need some reassurance.

cava
09-25-2018, 10:43 PM
They open their eyes at around 5 weeks old. They do not have coordination or wouldn't be walking around if they were with mom. They wouldn't be allowed out of the nest at all. They are still only on formula at this age, but you may begin to put rodent block in the bin with baby and he will begin to chew on it in the coming weeks.

His main diet will be formula for a couple more weeks until he's eating the block and even still, we don't recommend weaning and allow them to have formula until they refuse it, after 8-9 weeks or so but sometimes much later. Keep him on the formula for as long as possible as it offers complete nutrition.

I don't think he's behind schedule, but you're welcome to post some photos.

Here are the basics that are very important: proper formula, feeding based on weight, proper housing set up. Follow the instructions in this link, there are 6 pages, and come back if you have other questions.

https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Kbroset
09-25-2018, 11:18 PM
They open their eyes at around 5 weeks old. They do not have coordination or wouldn't be walking around if they were with mom. They wouldn't be allowed out of the nest at all. They are still only on formula at this age, but you may begin to put rodent block in the bin with baby and he will begin to chew on it in the coming weeks.

His main diet will be formula for a couple more weeks until he's eating the block and even still, we don't recommend weaning and allow them to have formula until they refuse it, after 8-9 weeks or so but sometimes much later. Keep him on the formula for as long as possible as it offers complete nutrition.

I don't think he's behind schedule, but you're welcome to post some photos.

Here are the basics that are very important: proper formula, feeding based on weight, proper housing set up. Follow the instructions in this link, there are 6 pages, and come back if you have other questions.

https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Okay that makes me feel better. There’s so much false info online. I ordered the blocks from Henry’s and they should be here tomorrow or Thursday. He’s a very healthy little guy right now as far as size goes. I’m just glad to hear his mobile skills are where they should be. Thank you so much!! I’m going to write you if I have anymore questions. If that’s okay.

cava
09-26-2018, 05:41 AM
That's what we're here for. Store your Henry's blocks in the freezer and when they are that little, before they are really eating them, I offer a half or a quarter so they aren't wasted. They are freshly made and spoil quickly once served so remove old ones in the bin.