PDA

View Full Version : Should i limit wild food? Or let them go to town?

Lake Gypsy
09-24-2018, 09:29 AM
My 2 little guys are teething and were not interested in block at all. They were chewing on each other which wasn't amusing to the chewee. So i gave them a live oak sprig, not really expecting them to pay much mind to it, but they LOVE it! They love it so much when i put my hand in to toss in extra block pieces they jumped at me and gave me warning noises!

My question is should i just let them chew as much as they want or should i remove it for a while? I don't want them to make themselves sick.

Any advice?

Spanky
09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
My 2 little guys are teething and were not interested in block at all. They were chewing on each other which wasn't amusing to the chewee. So i gave them a live oak sprig, not really expecting them to pay much mind to it, but they LOVE it! They love it so much when i put my hand in to toss in extra block pieces they jumped at me and gave me warning noises!

My question is should i just let them chew as much as they want or should i remove it for a while? I don't want them to make themselves sick.

Any advice?

You should not give them any other solids until they have been eating the block well for a week or so. What type of block are you giving them?

Lake Gypsy
09-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Hhb.

I didn't really expect them to eat it. None of the other squirrels I've had have went so crazy over it right away! I took it out anyway, because i do want them to eat the block.

Lake Gypsy
09-24-2018, 09:45 AM
They were quite perturbed at the removal of the twig! They're still in their box muttering their displeasure. I'm kinda hoping that they may have learned that other things (like block!) are edible. We will be waiting for a bit to try that again.

But my original question still stands. When they are ready for another twig should i limit it or just let them have it freely?

Spanky
09-24-2018, 10:14 AM
You can provide the wild food freely but only after they have eaten their block. Party of the HHB eating is conditioning (training) them that after they eat their block (and only after) the other veggies, fruits and goodies (twigs) are their reward..

If you are not having luck with the HHB, considering trying a different formula. This is pretty typical of my squirrels response to their HHB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2oAApW0-U

Lake Gypsy
09-24-2018, 10:49 AM
You can provide the wild food freely but only after they have eaten their block. Party of the HHB eating is conditioning (training) them that after they eat their block (and only after) the other veggies, fruits and goodies (twigs) are their reward..

If you are not having luck with the HHB, considering trying a different formula. This is pretty typical of my squirrels response to their HHB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2oAApW0-U

Omgoodness! They're adorable! What a happy sound too. A bunch of healthy babies chowing down :grin2

I've been thinking of trying a different block, maybe Henry's picky block. I have used Zupreem In the past, but would be open to suggestions. In your experience what would you recommend for nutrition and palatibility? Hopefully they will start eating the hhb, but if they don't i would like to have a back up plan.

Spanky
09-24-2018, 11:18 AM
I've been thinking of trying a different block, maybe Henry's picky block. I have used Zupreem In the past, but would be open to suggestions. In your experience what would you recommend for nutrition and palatibility? Hopefully they will start eating the hhb, but if they don't i would like to have a back up plan.

I have migrated to using a combination of the Picky and the Wild Bites formulations which allows me to switch things up. This is what my NR's eat and it keeps things simple for me. Orphans being raised for release almost always (85% of them) stay on formula until they are released. I'll make Harlan Teklad 2018 (now "Envigo") available frequently as well.

Lake Gypsy
09-24-2018, 11:59 AM
I have migrated to using a combination of the Picky and the Wild Bites formulations which allows me to switch things up. This is what my NR's eat and it keeps things simple for me. Orphans being raised for release almost always (85% of them) stay on formula until they are released. I'll make Harlan Teklad 2018 (now "Envigo") available frequently as well.

Well, it seems that nibbling on the twig has made one of them realize they could eat things other than formula and each other. After they had their lunch one of the them starting chewing on the block! Woohoo!

Thank you very much for your responses. I think for right now I'll keep on with the hhb, and keep your suggestions in the back of my mind for future use if necessary.