PDA

View Full Version : Plan for releasing Fall babies

Snicker Bar
09-21-2018, 10:01 AM
After sicknesses and the two losses I have a pair of siblings approx 4/5 weeks old, “Roo”, the little brown girl that’s older ( but stunted?) and has housed with them , and the other female grey that’s still in quarantine. The only babies I’ve ever had were my three NR’s, and then the two healthy greys last spring. I turned those two over to another rehabber who was willing to finish the release ( the hard!) part. If I’m
able to tough it out this time , from start to finish, what do most here recommend for babies this young in the South? We are in NE MS. Winter doesn’t usually get bad here until Dec. but never know.. And if the desired age for release is approx. 4 mos. old that would put the two youngest at being outdoors that very month. Do you house these fall babies outside earlier , so they can adjust to the cooler temps as they come? Or is there a cut off minimum age by a certain time, that changes the plan to “overwinter”? Roo is definitely old enough; she almost seems to be weaning herself. She’s just so little, that’s why I wondered about dwarfism . But her agility and such seem normal as I’ve allowed her more out of tub time. That being said, is being a runt meet the criteria for being a NR?
The one in quarantine ( she needs a proper name ) may have to overwinter(?) She has come so far though! Her teeth are coming back, and her pneumonia is all but resolved. Her ear drainage is gone and rotten tail tip nipped and healed. But she still had a persistent head tilt. And with Snickers, this eventually led to seizures. She doesn’t circle, seems to play normally, but that head is cocked always to the right . What would you recommend about her? I wish I could introduce her to Roo, but I don’t know if they’ve passed the age of acceptance, or if she could have a lingering contagious germ .