PDA

View Full Version : Baby squirrels found. Need help!

stevenf
08-11-2007, 12:57 AM
ok, Where I work, They cut down these trees and I found 5 baby squirrels. Two looked to be about a week old so I sent them to a wildlife center. I decided to keep the other three because they are about 4-5 weeks old compared to the pictures online that I have seen.
Quick questions.
1. Rabies, Shold I get them checked or not?
2.How much puppy formula should I feed them at a time? every 4 hours??
3. Do squirrels make friendly pets or have random spurts of bad attitudes?
4. Are they animals that can be let out of the cage and roam around a house for a little while each day while supervised?

Gabe
08-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Hi Steven and welcome to the squirrel board. It was kind of you to care for these babies. Although the tree was cut, the mother is still alive and is searching frantically for her babies. The first order of business would be to try to reunite these babies with their natural mother. Place the babies in a shallow box with a heat source, such as a ziplock bag filled with hot water that is covered with a soft cloth. Put the box in the vicinity where the tree was cut and give the mother 4-5 hours to remove her babies and carry them to another nest.
If this fails the next step would be to take them to a wildlife center or local rehabilitator to raise. They need the proper food, housing and eventual release to the wild. Squirrels do not make good pets as a general rule. They enjoy chewing on furniture and electrical cords and it is just plain cruel to keep them confined to a cage for the rest of their natural lives.
I know that coming here and reading all the good stories of squirrels that have been made into pets encourages one to try to do it also. The people on this board have made a lifetime commitment to these squirrels and they will be the first to tell you it is not as easy as having a cat or a dog. It is difficult to receive vet care for animals that may be illegal for you to possess in your state.
Please reconsider and if you are not able to reunite, then take the remaining three to a wildlife center also.
Thank you so much for caring enough to do what is right for these little guys.

pamela lee
08-11-2007, 07:42 AM

It's a rare occasion that a squirrel chooses to be an indoor pet. Usually by release age they will prove to be quite a hand full and definantly before 1 year if they want to be wild they will let you know in no uncertain terms. I would definantly try to return them to their mommy if at all possible. Thanks for taking them in, they're so cute and sweet at this age.
Pamela

Buddy'sMom
08-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Gabe is right -- squirrel mama will be searching for her babies. :Love_Icon She is the very best one to raise them, so if they can be re-united, that is the very best gift you can give them. If you can give her a chance to get them, that would be wonderful. A few people here have watched such a re-union and it's so heartwarming to see! Of course, you need to watch from a distance or she may be afraid to approach. And you can watch to make sure no predators (cats or dogs especially) get too curious first. :)

Good luck -- and come back and let us know either way! You are doing a wonderful thing rescuing these little ones! :thumbsup :thumbsup

stevenf
08-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I would really like to try and raise the bigger ones and release them when they get older. Can someone answer the questions I asked in the first post?

Gabe
08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry Steven, I don't approve of kidnapping squirrels from their mother. It's not ethical or legal.

susanw
08-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree with Gabe!

stevenf
08-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I did not kidnap them. the trees were chopped down, they were chopping and trhowing away the logs so io looked through two nest and found them. I didnt know the mother would take them back so I brought them home. That was yesterday around 12:00 pm. a few hours ago I read youpost about giving the mothers 4-5 hours to get them. Well, its already been more the 12 hours. AND, there are wild cats that live around the dumpster within 20-30 ft of the fallen trees.
Nothing was kidnapped! I simply brought them here and I plan on raising them untill there release. I want them released around my house because I never see any cats and we have big wooded areas all around us.
Now either yall will help or not, Im raising them regardless.....

So far, every 5 hours, I have been feeding them a puppy formula through a 3c.c. syringe. I put the liquid up to about 1.5 on the syringe readings. After I feed them, I use a warm cutip to rub thee genitals. This however has not worked. Any suggestions?

stevenf
08-11-2007, 04:57 PM
sorry, not 12 hours..... Its already been more then 24 hours!

Pam
08-11-2007, 05:09 PM
:wave123 and :Welcome stevenf! Check and see if you got a PM from a rehabber. I am not a rehabber, but I sent a message to one concerning you. Please don't give up on TSB. :grouphug

Pam
08-11-2007, 05:22 PM
It looks like stevenf went away. I hope he got his PM from a rehabber before he left.

susanw
08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Can you see the milk in their belly? Should be a line of white going around their stomach. They don't always pee the first time you feed them, try again on the next feeding. How did they do eating from the syringe? Sorry I didn't read your post correctly. If you plan on releasing them you don't want to make pets out of them, as they get older and wean themselves off the formula try not to handle them to much. They will wild up on their own and when released you don't want them going up to people without being afraid.

stevenf
08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
They are feeding nicely from the syringe. I feed them anywhere from 6-10 from a 1c.c. syringe.
Do they HAVE to be stimulated to use the bathroom or will they automatically do it?

Mars
08-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Babies will start to go on their own when their eyes open. So between 5 and 6 weeks of age.

muffinsquirrel
08-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi stevenf - you may not be very far from me - I am on the TX/LA border.....down towards the Lake Charles area. Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll do whatever I can to help.

We really need to know the babies weight (in grams) to help with the feeding. You can get a set of digital gram scales at WalMart without spending a fortune. (Usually found in the kitchen appliance dept.) Pictures of the babies would also help a lot, to determine the age and condition of them.

Whether or not they have to be stimulated depends on the age of the baby. I usually use a damp kleenex because I always have a box nearby when I am rehabbing. I probably continue stimulating them after they are able to do it on their own, but that way I can keep an eye on the color of the urine, and the consistancy and color of their poop. This can often give you the first clue to health problems that might be starting up with your babies.

As I am sure you have discovered, there are a lot of things that go into raising a baby squirrel. If you intend to release them, try not to bond too closely to them. The fact that you have more than one will help with that, as they will tend to bond with each other. If you are NOT planning on releasing them, then re-think your decision! There are very few grey or fox squirrels that adapt to being indoor squirrels. More than 99% of them will want to be wild by the time they reach maturity. And believe me - when they want to be wild, they let you know in no uncertain terms! If you SHOULD get one that wants to be a part of your family, be aware that they will chew everything they see. That includes electric wires, the plaster off the walls, and anything that you might consider the least bit valuable! Yes, there are some people that have 'pet' squirrels, but they are the exception, not the rule. And most, if not all, of them will tell you that the care of a squirrel means an entire lifestyle change.

Whatever you decide, stick around TSB. There are a lot of people on here that have 'been there - done that', and will help you in every way they can. Remember - it takes a forum to raise a squirrel. :D

muffinsquirrel

stevenf
08-12-2007, 12:51 PM
the babys seem to be doing ok. quick question though. I fill the 1c.c. syringe to around 8 on the tube. I feed them that much each feeding and they got crazy! trying to pull the syringe down there throats. After that I put them back down in there box and they frantically run around looking for it again. is this normal? Am i not feeding enough???
also, I tried the cutip rubbing thing again and they still dont deficate or urinate. If It it something that has to be done, Im worried that there not doing it.....?????
Also, the links are to pictures of two fo them. They are about 55-60 grams in weight.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/brherper/?action=view&current=Picture028-1.jpg

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/brherper/?action=view&current=Picture029-1.jpg

4skwerlz
08-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Steven, Is one of the rehabbers already working with you via PM?

Mars
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
You under feeding them. The rule of thumb is 5% of the body weight in grams. So a 20 gram squirrel would eat 1cc per feeding. So at 60 grams they should be taking in about 3cc per feeding. :)

Secret Squirrel
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
The squirrels look in good shape.....as Mars said you need to feed them more. Use a tissue or take a roll of toilet paper and use about 6 sheet rolled up to form a TP roll...kinda like a tube of TP...just bairly tickle the gentials with the tip of the TP or kleenex.
You don't need to rub hard...what you are trying to do is mimic what the mother squirrel goes in the nest....she licks them to get them to go pee or poop.....and if this is something you just "cant do" because if grosses you out....then get someone to help you. :D
Squirrels are a full time job for the beginner and for us seasoned folks.....don't give up... good luck!!!

stevenf
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, I have everything under control now I think, All thanks to everyone but GABE!
So for thoughs of you that did want to help and the ones Ive been talking to through PM's. I really appriciate everything you have done!

As for GABE.... In a SMALL way, I can see where you were coming from... However, Let me give you some advice for the future. If you like animals and believe that, if possible, an injured or found animals should be treated properly for its future release.... I would advise you to actually help the person out and teach them the right thing to do. I came to this site for help and got rejected. For the first 12-24 hours, I had no help which could have caused the death of three squirrels.... It could have been corrected by you.... People need all the help they can get and it doesnt help when someone like you, who loves animals Im sure, would not help someone who is trying to help animals. Which in return, leaves me not knowing what to do for me to be able to properly care for the animals you love..... :)

4skwerlz
08-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, I have everything under control now I think, All thanks to everyone but GABE!
As for GABE.... In a SMALL way, I can see where you were coming from... However, Let me give you some advice for the future. If you like animals and believe that, if possible, an injured or found animals should be treated properly for its future release.... I would advise you to actually help the person out and teach them the right thing to do. I came to this site for help and got rejected. For the first 12-24 hours, I had no help which could have caused the death of three squirrels.... It could have been corrected by you.... People need all the help they can get and it doesnt help when someone like you, who loves animals Im sure, would not help someone who is trying to help animals. Which in return, leaves me not knowing what to do for me to be able to properly care for the animals you love..... :)

Steven, It wasn't Gabe's fault that you went without advice for awhile. Gabe expressed an opinion that we (and all responsible squirrel lovers) share: that whenever possible, the squirrels should be reunited with their mom; and that the second-best option is to get them to an experienced rehabber, because caring for baby squirrels requires a lot of skill and dedication, which the average person doesn't possess. We tell every new "squirrel mom or dad" the same thing, so don't take it personally. But Gabe saying that in no way influenced what happened. You were never abandoned. Gammas Baby is a TSB First Responder and gave you good advice. I hope you will stay on TSB so you can continue to get the best advice for your babies. I'm offering a belated :Welcome to TSB. If you have questions, ask away!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-13-2007, 05:24 AM
:Welcome Steve,
With all due respect Gabe was correct in telling you it is the best thing if baby can be reunited with Mom. She will teach baby all the skills she needs to survive untill the time she leaves the nest.
So now you want to raise the baby yourself and I just want to say you have come to the right place stick around and read as much as you can on babies care.
The biggest problem with babies is aspiration make sure you have all the correct supplies.
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/845/Nipple_and_Syringe_Sample_Set.htm
I suggest that you get this nipple and syringe set right away, once you have it give a yell and someone will direct you which ones to use.
Good luck with Baby.:peace

pamela lee
08-13-2007, 06:43 AM
4. Are they animals that can be let out of the cage and roam around a house for a little while each day while supervised?
I believe Gabe was responding to #3 of your questions. This made it sound like you were planning on making pets out of them. Which is exactly how I read it also. Gabe is an excellent rehabber and very passionate about proper care and release of animals. I hope the little fuzzers are doing well.

muffinsquirrel
08-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi stevenf. I am still here in southeast Texas, if you need any help with supplies or such. Since LA is an 'unfriendly state' as far as squirrels are concerned, you will likely have problems getting a vet if you should need one. My vet here has had a lot of practice with all the squirrels I bring to her, so give a yell if you need one.

muffinsquirrel

Critter_Queen
08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree that Gabe was giving you the best advice for that moment. I have raised babies from pinkies and had the benefit of seeing them compared to Momma-raised squirrels and the Momma-raised squirrels are by FAR healthier, more mature and have a better chance of survival once at adulthood than our rehabbed squirrels...this holds true from birth to release...the momma-raised squirrels are just better off. (and I think I'm a pretty good rehabber, and do it "the right way" so it's not lack of knowledge or care) And the way you "spoke" to her after she gave you that advice, says a lot about you, in my opinion.

too many times I get in "kidnapped" squirrels and can do nothing to reunite. You had the perfect opportunity to to that, and you chose to be selfish. I hope you will put their needs in front of your own when it comes to organizing your schedule around their feeding needs...as any good rehabber would do.

Very sad and unfortunate for "your" squirrels. :shakehead

Critter_Queen
08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
gamma, I do see your point, and I'm not denying him information...that was given by others before I ever saw this thread.

And, I am guilty of skimming and missing the fact that he says the area is infested with cats. However, if one can stand nearby, you can still try to reunite, even if just for a little while while keeping close watch. If they are in immediate danger is IS better to take them to safety...I apologize for missing that statement.

On the other hand, the scolding tone of his posts to Gabe after that are irritating to say the least when we work all day long to save squirrels and other critters only to be scolded by someone who wouldn't even TRY to reunite the squirrels or use a decent "tone" when responding. Please go back and note that he did NOT mention any cats until after Gabe told him he was kidnapping them...how was she to know? Then he launches into how she SHOULD have helped him? Sorry, just rubs me the wrong way.

But, again, I apologize for missing the post about the cats.

Pam
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I have to agree with Gam. I was so upset by this man being refused help Saturday that I PMed IR and Gam who was not on the board at the time. I felt like stevenf was singled out. There are many people who come to TSB to get help, but I have never seen anyone treated as rudely as he was treated. Go back over the postings, and you can see just how long he waited for help. I did not step in because there were several rehabbers and FRs looking at the thread. I did not want to interfere with him getting experienced advice. He did not kidnap these squirrels, he rescued them. I do not see anywhere in his post that even suggests a kidnapping from momma squirrel.

stevenf...I am so sorry this happened to you.

Critter_Queen
08-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Well, just add me to Gabe's name above...

You, yourself suggested he reunite, Gamma, before he posted about the cats. And you gave him the help he needed until early morning when everyone started getting online. When someone posts at nearly 1:00 a.m. you can't expect expert advice even within hours of a time like that.

I feel bad that he got a less-than-warm welcome...but the above statement pisses me off and will continue to piss me off until he apologizes for treating her like that. She was suggesting what should be done given the INFORMATION HE PROVIDED. That's all we can do.

Another good reason to be invisible around here. If you're a rehabber you're expected to have the time and patience to deal with every single post, and you're expected to read minds...and give out a lot of information...but not TOO MUCH information....:nono We walk a fine line and sometimes we slip...

Squerly
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
OK Guys, we can go over this until the cows come home and it's going to simply come down to a misunderstood line in a post somewhere.

Lets not overanalize this as it seldom does any more than to create lines of indifference. :grouphug

Critter_Queen
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Just another example of how different minds interpret what is being said. Thats why I say...We have to work TOGETHER. :grouphug I think an apology from both sides would be great, and drop this, and continuing on with the babies correct care. THAT is my main concern. :grouphug

AMEN!!!! :grouphug

stevenf
08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
I apologize if Gabe or anyone else took offense to my post. I tried to word it as nice as possible.
I just felt that I was being accused of something completely wrong. Gabe posted, and I read somewhere else, That the mother would be back for them if you wait 4-5 hours. well, I explained the wild cat statements and that it had been over 24 hours, Which is WAY past the 4-5 hour wait.
Needless to say, these squirrles are getting a very good home with extremely good treatment. they will be released when they let me know when there ready....

susanw
08-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Gabe has been a big help on this board and I think what we both really objected to, was giving some to the wildlife center and keeping the older ones. We are always going to suggest reuniting with mom or taking to a rehabber if you have never raised them before. Our interest is making sure the squirrels are being taken care of in the correct way. I would also object to keeping healthy ones as pets. I am so glad you are going to release them, and how are they doing? We would love to see pictures of them.:D

4skwerlz
08-13-2007, 10:09 PM
How are the babies doing tonight? We love updates. Also we'd love to see more pics!

pamela lee
08-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Stevenf, How's your babies doing? I hope all's well.
Pamela

wdarmac
08-18-2007, 12:58 PM
:wave123 I wanted to update you all and tell you I have been in contact with stevenf and the babies are doing great,3 of them have there eyes open,stevenf is doing a good job with them.:wave123 :thumbsup

island rehabber
08-18-2007, 01:18 PM
:wave123 I wanted to update you all and tell you I have been in contact with stevenf and the babies are doing great,3 of them have there eyes open,stevenf is doing a good job with them.:wave123 :thumbsup

:wahoo:multiPlease tell him Good Job, for me!:wahoo

wdarmac
08-18-2007, 01:22 PM
:thumbsup :wave123 I will let him know.:thankyou

Momma Squirrel
08-18-2007, 02:47 PM
:thumbsup Great job stevenf :thumbsup Thanks for the update

Pam's Squirt
08-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Remember - it takes a forum to raise a squirrel. :D

Muffinsquirrel - You mean it takes a forum and a FORTUNE to raise a squirrel!!! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

wdarmac
08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
:wave123 :jump Received a pm from stevenf and the babies are doing great, he has introduced them to cheerios and he said the crumbs are flying. Just wanted to update you all.:thumbsup :)

pamela lee
08-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Great news. Way to go Steven.

island rehabber
08-25-2007, 02:43 PM
:thumbsup:flash3:wott:flash3:thumbsup