PDA

View Full Version : What kind of toys for 8 week old that I plan on releasing outside?

michellel
09-12-2018, 07:50 AM
My squirrel is almost 8 weeks old. Do I give him toys? I do plan on releasing him outside. Right now he has tree brances, pinecones, a stuffed animal and toilet paper tube. He will not be a pet.
Thanks!!

Javarat
09-12-2018, 11:54 AM
You are definitely on the right track and working logically.
The more outside elements he experiences now, the less spooked he will be on release.
I even put dead shrubs in my cages, or at least a limb with lots of dead leaves. They play with the leaves, and practice building nests.

My squirrels favorite 'toy' is a hammock. You don't even have to buy one.. just take an old shirt or such, make a rectangular piece, and attach the four corners to the top with wire. The one mine liked the most I made out of a thermal undershirt with the long sleeves cut off. They actually slept inside it between the front and back layer.

They also like paper towels (they shred them). I saw one video of a girl with a non releasable, and she gives the squirrel an intact roll of paper towels to shred once per week. The squirrel has a ball.

I also hang scarves and vines in the cage, so they learn how to climb different materials.

I would not hang anything on a wire or string.. always a chance it might loop around their neck during play. A zoo lost a giraffe last year from a tire on a rope that wrapped around its neck.

michellel
09-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Thank you for your ideas!

Sottinger
09-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Go to amazon and search for rat toys. Mine loves anything wood. He has even done a number on my wood floor at work! 🙈 I love the idea of giving natural toys as you suggested. My little guy will also be released. I plan to move him to a screened porch in the near future and let him go out at will from there. Nibbles is about 11 weeks old.

michellel
09-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Sottinger, Great idea about Amazon. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this "release" thing. I can't buy or make a big screened in cage because our yard already has two outdoor enclosures for our cats and my husband would never agree to another animal enclosure. That is so cool you have a screened in enclosure. Will make the transition nice, I would think.

Sottinger
09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Sottinger, Great idea about Amazon. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this "release" thing. I can't buy or make a big screened in cage because our yard already has two outdoor enclosures for our cats and my husband would never agree to another animal enclosure. That is so cool you have a screened in enclosure. Will make the transition nice, I would think.

Maybe your hubby will be like mine. The first couple weeks I could barely get him to help feed him. He would stick the syringe through the cage but wouldn’t hold him or interact with him. And reminded me it’s a rat with furry tail 😂. Then it all changed.... Nibbles totally grew on him and for the last week he plays with him as much as I do when he’s home from work. We’re set to move in the near future to a larger property and are even discussing building several outdoor cages and rehabbing these guys together. I’m not sure the last few days if he speaks to me or the squirrel first when he gets home, hahahaha. But in any case, these little guys have a way of making their way into your hearts and lives I’ve noticed. He has drawn blood biting everyone but my husband at some point and yet all my employees and kids STILL adore him and want to interact with him. Note on the biting: we wash our hands thoroughly if handling other animals now. If not it’s almost a guaranteed nip after some chatter and tail flicking over the smell.

Sottinger
09-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Here is his favorite, or rather what’s left of it.

cava
09-13-2018, 05:52 PM
I released all of the squirrels that played with these toy ideas and they weren't all from nature, but they gave them a chance to learn problem solving and play.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?56303-Toy-ideas-for-a-caged-squirrel&highlight=toys+for+caged

michellel
09-14-2018, 05:03 AM
Sottinger, my husband is not going to change his mind! You see, I rescue kittens and cats in the neighborhood. I find them, treat them, spay/neuter them, and find homes for them. We have one outdoor enclosure for them. He wouldn't even agree to that enclosure so my mother-in-law and I put it together without him! Thanks for the picture of your little one and his toy!

michellel
09-14-2018, 05:07 AM
I released all of the squirrels that played with these toy ideas and they weren't all from nature, but they gave them a chance to learn problem solving and play.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?56303-Toy-ideas-for-a-caged-squirrel&highlight=toys+for+caged

Cava, that's exactly was my worry, whether it was ok for them to play with toys that aren't nature like. Thanks for the link!