PDA

View Full Version : BLOATING?

Mountain Mama
08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been foster mother to 2 pinkies for the past 72 hours. They are about 3 weeks old. I have mothered other squirrels, but not this young, so I am hypervigilant about them and want to do everything right.

My boys weighed 32 grams when I got them, and one of them has gained 2 grams, while the other one has not gained any weight. Neither of them are dehydrated. I am using Esbilac, water, and whipping cream in equal parts, and feeding them about 1.5 cc every 3 hours and once at night, totaling about 6-7 feedings a day. They tinkle and poop fine, no vomiting, and have voracious appetites. They seem to be strong, as orphaned squirrels go, squirming and carrying on.

This morning, I punctured a 125mg simethecone capsule and put a drop of it into their total daily formula. I was hoping to prevent bloating. Well, darn if they don't look like they have it anyway. At least that's what I THINK is going on...

They look kind of like Oompa Loompas...their little bellies are full (you can see the formula) but fluctuant, not tight. It certainly hasn't effected their appetites in the least, as it seems to be increasing.

So what to do? I don't want to withold feedings, especially since they aren't gaining weight rapidly, if at all. But I don't want to overload them, either. My medical background tells me that them gobbling food is a good sign, rather than an ominous one, which is why I have continued to feed them today. But I don't want to do anything that MIGHT hurt them, and since this is my maiden voyage with pinkies, I thought I had better check in with the pros.

I hope this qualifies as emergent. I don't mean to misuse the emergency board, so please forgive me if I should have posted elsewhere.

island rehabber
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
mountainmamma, your babies probably don't have bloat. In squirrels this young, right after a feeding they do look a little distorted -- especially greys, who have very long legs as compared to foxers, they look as if they are all legs and big tummy. The belly goes down a couple of hours later, of course, right before the next feeding. If you see that your babies' bellies do NOT go almost flat in between feedings, that's when you worry. A full but not overfed baby squirrel should have a belly like a slightly deflated balloon -- not tight. The belly should not stay like that for hours, though -- that's when you worry about bloat. it sounds as if you're doing everything right and I wouldn't worry about the simethicone unless, as mentioned, their bellies are not expanding and contracting.
As for formula you said Esbilac, cream and water in equal parts: actually the ratio should be one part Esbilac to TWO parts very warm water. I don't use whipping cream myself so I'm not sure how much of that to add, but the Esbilac should not be 1:1 because that's too rich. Good luck & keep asking good questions!! :)

Mars
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
If you wish to use heavy cream the formula is 1 part esbilac, 1 part cream in 2 parts water. Personally I use 1 part esbliac, 1/2 part vanilla organic live cultured yogurt in 2 parts water. Once thier eyes open I add up to 1/3 part MultiMilk.

For babies not gaining weight. Who are having trouble with the transition to formula I suggest Bioplasma ( also called cell salts or biosalts) I place one tablet into the formula twice daily ( first and last feeding or 12 hours apart ) when baby first comes in ( for about three days ). Biosalts can be found at health food store or through Chris's squirrels and more. This is supportive care and need not be continued once everything is on track. :)

Hope this helps.

Mountain Mama
08-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Thank you so much...the babies are doing so well today, and even gained a gram or two.