PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! Does a squirrel’s eyelid grow back?

Squirrelskeeper
08-29-2018, 03:37 PM
I have two squirrels and one got injured on his little face either by falling or by one of the cats. His eye is open but his other one is closed because they’re about 4 weeks. Please just help me. I’ve been putting antibiotic ointment on it with a qtip. I’m crying and am scared he won’t be able to see or something. The eyelid has scabbed and I can see his little eye

Spanky
08-29-2018, 03:42 PM
If this is an injury from a cat, he will need to be given oral antibiotics for a week or so. Check around and see if you have any antibiotics. If not call friends and family. You will need only a single pill to treat the squirrel. If you are able to find any antibiotics, please tells us what you found and the strength. We'll need to know the weight of the squirrel (kitchen scales work good for this).

Can you post a picture of this little's eye?

If you'd like us to try to find an experienced person to help you, we'll need to more your general location....

Squirrelskeeper
08-29-2018, 05:17 PM
If this is an injury from a cat, he will need to be given oral antibiotics for a week or so. Check around and see if you have any antibiotics. If not call friends and family. You will need only a single pill to treat the squirrel. If you are able to find any antibiotics, please tells us what you found and the strength. We'll need to know the weight of the squirrel (kitchen scales work good for this).

Can you post a picture of this little's eye?

If you'd like us to try to find an experienced person to help you, we'll need to more your general location....

I’m trying to upload a photo it’s hard, I’m very new here

Spanky
08-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Send it to squirrelhelp @ uysinc.com and I will post (leave those spaces out though).

Spanky
08-29-2018, 06:54 PM

Squirrelskeeper
08-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Should I put a bandaid on it? The little scab fell off and his eyelid is sticking up it looks painful

Mel1959
08-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Did you locate some antibiotics? If so what type and what is the mg?

I’m not sure about what his eyelid will do. He may end up blind in that eye. Right now it’s imperative that you find some antibiotics because cat saliva is deadly to squirrels.

redwuff
08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
The most important thing you can do is as Spanky said, get some antibiotics. The best is clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro. This looks very much like a cat injury. Please get the antibiotics. Use a warm compress on the injury on his muzzle so it does not abcess. Not sure what to do bout the eyelid. Maybe someone else can advise on that.

What formula do you have these two babies on? One of the most important thing you can get is a scale so that you can weigh these babies daily. The babies eat 5-7% of their wt in grams at each feeding. So if your babies are 100 g, you will-feed 5ml of formula 5-6 times a day.

cava
08-29-2018, 07:33 PM
I would work on getting some eye ointment for lubrication. Drops don't last as long and triple antibiotic ointment isn't meant to be put in eyes, unless it's made for the eyes. Here's an otc option that is an ointment. I have never personally used this as I used to work for a vet and we had prescription rewetting ointments, but it looks safe. Our vets would prescribe rewetting ointment 3-4 times a day, but keep a close eye on it and watch for signs of dryness.

http://www.bausch.com/our-products/dry-eye-products/dry-eye-products/soothe-night-time-ointment

If his eye dries out because he's unable to blink, he's at risk for skin breakdown and eye infections. Hopefully with lubricant and time that eyelid will grow into a shape that will work. Fingers crossed!

Diggie's Friend
08-29-2018, 07:36 PM
If the blood supply is cut off the tissue will die.

This will be serious problem for the eye without a lid to protect it. Squirrels actually have more than one lid which support and protect their eyes.

Spanky
08-29-2018, 07:46 PM
As everyone has indicated the most important issue is to get him on antibiotics. Were you able to locate any? Where are you located, we may have members close by or know of vets that will help.

Cava is spot on in recommending to keep that eye lubricated while it heals.

And nutrition is extremely important as Redruff has indicated, doubly so since we know poor nutrition can cause eye issues in babies... so the reverse would also be true: proper nutrition will only improve the chances the eye will more fully heal.

Squirrelskeeper
08-29-2018, 07:54 PM
As everyone has indicated the most important issue is to get him on antibiotics. Were you able to locate any? Where are you located, we may have members close by or know of vets that will help.

Cava is spot on in recommending to keep that eye lubricated while it heals.

And nutrition is extremely important as Redruff has indicated, doubly so since we know poor nutrition can cause eye issues in babies... so the reverse would also be true: proper nutrition will only improve the chances the eye will more fully heal.

I gave neopolybac opthalmic ointment, amoxcillin 500mg, Cipro 500 mg, and could see if my grandparents have anymore. His brother is eating puppy milk and drinking pedialyte eagerly. He does at first but slows down, is it something I’m doing? He’s not as pudgy as his brother. And I also have a lot of vitamins. Thanks everyone

cava
08-29-2018, 08:05 PM
That ointment is fine. We need a weight to dose meds.

Here's a link to squirrel care basics and he should be eating powdered (not liquid) Esbilac Puppy formula.

henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Spanky
08-29-2018, 08:10 PM
I gave neopolybac opthalmic ointment, amoxcillin 500mg, Cipro 500 mg, and could see if my grandparents have anymore. His brother is eating puppy milk and drinking pedialyte eagerly. He does at first but slows down, is it something I’m doing? He’s not as pudgy as his brother. And I also have a lot of vitamins. Thanks everyone

Ok, let's walk through this...

The Neopolybac is good and should hep.

Do you mean you have Amoxil and Cipro available, not that you gave it? The Cipro will be effective for the potential cat situation.

Pedialyte should not be given for more than 24 hours or so.

What type of puppy milk are you using? There are only a few that are suitable for squirrels, others will cause diarrhea and a failure to thrive (which may be what is happening here).

Not eating well may simply be that the formula is not warm enough or something simply like that...

Spanky
08-29-2018, 08:11 PM
Do you know how much he weighs (for dosing the Cipro)?

Squirrelskeeper
08-29-2018, 08:12 PM
I have the amox & cipro available and what should I give to hydrate them? I’m checking for more antibiotics; I’m using esbilac puppy milk and I don’t have a way of weighing him

Spanky
08-29-2018, 08:14 PM
If they need extra hydration on top of the formula, plain water will help. However, many puppy formulas will cause the dehydration so fixing that if it is an issue will go a long ways.

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2018, 08:31 PM
Squirrelkeeper, if you will get the weight of the baby I will dose the Ciprofloxacin.
No need to look for additional antibiotics at this time.

Squirrelskeeper
08-29-2018, 08:34 PM
How can I weigh him? And formula should be enough hydration? I’ve been pinching the tent of his skin and it stays up for a while sometimes

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2018, 08:36 PM
You need a small kitchen scale or an office scale that weighs mail.

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2018, 08:45 PM
If you can't get a scale I can estimate the weight.
Try to get a pic next to a common item like a Coke can.
It will help to estimate the weight. I will send my email in a PM. You can email the pic.

HRT4SQRLS
08-29-2018, 09:56 PM
I haven't received a weight or a pic.
I will send Ciprofloxacin dosing for an estimated 80g weight in a Private Message.

I have to sign out for tonight. :sleep

Keep the eye covered with the ophthalmic ointment to prevent drying of the eye.

Squirrelskeeper
08-31-2018, 07:39 PM
I would work on getting some eye ointment for lubrication. Drops don't last as long and triple antibiotic ointment isn't meant to be put in eyes, unless it's made for the eyes. Here's an otc option that is an ointment. I have never personally used this as I used to work for a vet and we had prescription rewetting ointments, but it looks safe. Our vets would prescribe rewetting ointment 3-4 times a day, but keep a close eye on it and watch for signs of dryness.

http://www.bausch.com/our-products/dry-eye-products/dry-eye-products/soothe-night-time-ointment

If his eye dries out because he's unable to blink, he's at risk for skin breakdown and eye infections. Hopefully with lubricant and time that eyelid will grow into a shape that will work. Fingers crossed!
He has a white film over his eye now, should I be worried? I’ve been applying ointment as much as I can, basically every time I feed him.

Squirrelskeeper
08-31-2018, 07:43 PM
I haven't received a weight or a pic.
I will send Ciprofloxacin dosing for an estimated 80g weight in a Private Message.

I have to sign out for tonight. :sleep

Keep the eye covered with the ophthalmic ointment to prevent drying of the eye.

I’m sorry for some reason I didn’t see this last night!

cava
09-01-2018, 04:18 AM
He has a white film over his eye now, should I be worried? I’ve been applying ointment as much as I can, basically every time I feed him.

If this were my baby I'd get it on a rewetting eye drop and discontinue putting an antibiotic eye ointment in so often. I don't think you're under treating it, it sounds like it stays moistened if you're applying ointment every few hours.

Do you have access to a squirrel safe vet? It would be best if that eye had proper evaluation and treatment.

Squirrelskeeper
09-02-2018, 11:10 PM
I don’t know where I can take him where they would give him back to me

stepnstone
09-02-2018, 11:24 PM
I don’t know where I can take him where they would give him back to me
How far is Huntsville from you?

Squirrelskeeper
09-03-2018, 10:07 AM
A little more than 2 hrs away

lukaslolamaus
09-03-2018, 04:36 PM
What part of Alabama are you located?

lukaslolamaus
09-05-2018, 11:43 PM
I just responded to your pm.
Can you post some pictures of the little girl's eye?

Squirrelskeeper
09-06-2018, 10:32 PM
an updated pic of j's eyelid

stepnstone
09-06-2018, 10:37 PM
She really needs to see a vet, looks like she needs to lose that eye. :(

Squirrelskeeper
09-06-2018, 11:57 PM
She can still blink. Don’t you think if she gets her eyelid sewn it’ll help?

lukaslolamaus
09-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Poor baby. I have a squirrel friendly vet, but I'm over 2 hours from you. I sent you another pm.
I don't know if there are any other members with vet access closer to you.

stepnstone
09-07-2018, 03:41 AM
She can still blink. Don’t you think if she gets her eyelid sewn it’ll help?

I really can't answer that I'm not a vet so naturally what I see is not
going to be on their level of expertise. I suppose anything is possible.

Two hours isn't all that long if you take a friend and turn the radio up. :grin3

Jen413
09-12-2018, 07:39 AM
I messaged the finder with a vet that’s an about away from them. Hopefully this baby will be getting treatment soon and on her way to recovering.