PDA

View Full Version : Frequency

Cashew Mom
08-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Hi All-I am new to this forum and new to Squirrel rehab. Our little fella is about 4 1/2 weeks old. He is taking 5-6ml of Esbilac very eagerly every 5 hrs around the clock. He is 3.15 oz, gaining daily. Very healthy guy. He sleeps until I wake him to eat. We are going to be out of our home Friday for 8 hours. I am wondering if 8 hours would be too long for him to go without a feeding? It is a one-time situation and I would resume his usual every 5 hr. feeding once we're home. Thank you!

Spanky
08-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Hi All-I am new to this forum and new to Squirrel rehab. Our little fella is about 4 1/2 weeks old. He is taking 5-6ml of Esbilac very eagerly every 5 hrs around the clock. He is 3.15 oz, gaining daily. Very healthy guy. He sleeps until I wake him to eat. We are going to be out of our home Friday for 8 hours. I am wondering if 8 hours would be too long for him to go without a feeding? It is a one-time situation and I would resume his usual every 5 hr. feeding once we're home. Thank you!

The eight hour stretch is not ideal, but as a one time event will probably be okay if you have no other options.

I will say that every 5 hours is a little long for a 4 1/2 week old as a matter of routine. Typically I feed every 4 hours at this age...

Are you feeding around the clock (overnight)?

And my response assumes this is a grey squirrel?

Cashew Mom
08-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Thank you for your advice.
He is a fox squirrel. He is fed overnight. I feed him every 5 hours around the clock.

Spanky
08-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Ok, advice is still valid for a fox squirrel, though 3.5oz is sort of small for a foxer at 4.5 weeks. :thumbsup

Can you post a picture, we love pictures! :flash