PDA

View Full Version : TWO BABY DOUGLAS SQUIRRELS

mgerdau
08-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Yesterday, a baby douglas squirrel ran up to me and climbed my leg. I held her and she just snuggled in. I put her in a cage and put some water and a towel in the cage; she went right to sleep. About an hour later a neighbor showed me another baby douglas squirrel, which was in the same vicinity as the first one. This one ran up to me and I was able to pick it up too. I put him in with the other baby and they snuggled up together and went to sleep. We decided to leave them in the cage but we left the door open and we hid the cage near where I found the first baby. The next morning I went to check on the babies and they were still in the cage. My wife had made a little mash of cracked corn, cottage cheese, and almond milk the night before and it was nearly gone. I took the babies into the house and retrieved an eye dropper I had for feeding rabbits I use to have, i filled it with warmed milk and they both suckled. The rest of the day they slept. Before going to bed we gave them some pears, cottage cheese with some canned formula.

SammysMom
08-26-2018, 12:31 AM
What city are you near in oregon? Please dont hive anything except pedialyte for right now. After that, the only safe formula is powdered esbilac puppy formula. They really need to be in a cage or plastic tote that is half on a heating pad set on low. Plenty of fleece or tee shirts. No towels because nails get caught in the loops.
We will help you to find a safe rehabber or help you to keep them safe until we can. Can you post a picture? If its easier text to me ar 2032147427 and i will post for you.

mgerdau
08-27-2018, 09:33 AM
What city are you near in oregon? Please dont hive anything except pedialyte for right now. After that, the only safe formula is powdered esbilac puppy formula. They really need to be in a cage or plastic tote that is half on a heating pad set on low. Plenty of fleece or tee shirts. No towels because nails get caught in the loops.
We will help you to find a safe rehabber or help you to keep them safe until we can. Can you post a picture? If its easier text to me ar 2032147427 and i will post for you.

We have them in a hamster cage with a heat light on them; we're switching to a heating pad. No towels now but a fleece faux fur from our son's old Halloween costume. They're not accepting a bottle anymore but eating solid food like pears and bananas. We have been mixing kitten formula and almond milk with rice and pears. They really dig the pears.

We're in La Pine.

Spanky
08-27-2018, 11:28 AM
We have them in a hamster cage with a heat light on them; we're switching to a heating pad. No towels now but a fleece faux fur from our son's old Halloween costume. They're not accepting a bottle anymore but eating solid food like pears and bananas. We have been mixing kitten formula and almond milk with rice and pears. They really dig the pears.

We're in La Pine.

Giving Kitten formula (or cow's milk) is going to give them bad diarrhea and cause dehydration... The only formula available in stores that works for squirrels is the Esbilac Puppy formula (the powdered version, not the pre-mixed liquid one!)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=304148&stc=1