PDA

View Full Version : Unknown lumps

Crystallynn
08-18-2018, 01:45 PM
My backyard squirrel went missing for a few weeks. Fearing the worst but hoping for the best I waited for any sign of him. Finally yesterday he came back but he was much more fearful and had these large lumps on his head, neck and side. I would be very grateful for any advice or opinions to get an understanding of how serious this may be. I'm sorry for the quality of the picture, He refused to let me get any closer and acted very anxious.303993

Spanky
08-18-2018, 02:22 PM
I'd try to get better pictures, but I believe I am seeing Bot Fly warbles. They look much worse than they are and should be harmless... fall out in a week or two more. We only get concerned when there are many (more than 6) and if they are, for example, interfering with breathing or other functions.

HRT4SQRLS
08-19-2018, 05:07 AM
I totally agree... bot flys.
I'm in FL also and many of my friends have the lumps... warbles right now.

All you need to do is be alert to any signs of disability, dehydration, wobbling or circling. It is a normal occurrence but if they get dehydrated from the 'weeping' fluids they can potentially have a bad outcome. With the heat in the 90's, fluid loss from bot warbles can be a problem. They can handle a few bots (up to 6) with no problem. Any more than that can be life threatening. A couple years ago, I had to capture my special friend because of bots. I removed as many as I could but it was WAY beyond my abilities so I did have to take her to a vet for removal. She had 24. :eek