PDA

View Full Version : Aspiration in Nursing Tree Squirrels

Diggie's Friend
07-21-2018, 03:05 PM
http://www.ewildagain.org/assets/aspirationinsquirrels.pdf

Spanky
07-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Thank you for posting this, lots of helpful info. However, I will point out the article discourages the use of Amoxicillin or Augmentin for AP in squirrels.

We have lots of empirical evidence these drugs, while not our first choice, can be effective in treating AP. Perhaps our always recommending use of pro-biotics helps prevent hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which the article warns. :dono

island rehabber
07-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Thank you for posting this, lots of helpful info. However, I will point out the article discourages the use of Amoxicillin or Augmentin for AP in squirrels.

We have lots of empirical evidence these drugs, while not our first choice, can be effective in treating AP. Perhaps our always recommending use of pro-biotics helps prevent hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which the article warns. :dono

Good point, Spanky. Also include clindamycin in that group. It's not recommended for rodents because of the GI issues, but it is extremely effective on abcesses and infections above the neck. We don't want to lose squirrels because we avoided amoxi, augmentin and clindo simply because of the fear of GI irritation, which CAN be avoided.

Diggie's Friend
07-21-2018, 11:09 PM
This is a good beginning for this sub-forum topic; I hope other members will share their input here on this important issue also.

Squirrelgirl625
10-28-2019, 02:16 AM
Hi! I was wondering what some good probiotics are to give to a squirrel that is taking antibiotics. Any help is appreciated!

Mel1959
10-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Lots of folks use a capsule probiotic for humans. Store brands like CVS work fine. You pull the capsule apart and give about this much “0” of the powder....enough to fill the tiny 0.

I use a product called Benebac. It is a gel in a tube. I think I purchased mine online but I’ve seen it at the local feed store and at big box pet stores. The squirrels don’t seem to mind the taste and it’s convenient for me.