PDA

View Full Version : Tube feeding

PreikschatE
07-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Has anyone Tube fed pinkies? I have a litter and everyone is doing great except one guy. He refuses to eat. I'm feeding 1cc with small miracle nipple. I try to get him to suck and he will take maybe .2 and stop. Hes stating to lose weight, so I'm considering tubing. I have a tiny tube and have experience in tubing other babies, I just never tubed a squirrel before. I don't want to lose him, so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice?

stepnstone
07-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Has anyone Tube fed pinkies? I have a litter and everyone is doing great except one guy. He refuses to eat. I'm feeding 1cc with small miracle nipple. I try to get him to suck and he will take maybe .2 and stop. Hes stating to lose weight, so I'm considering tubing. I have a tiny tube and have experience in tubing other babies, I just never tubed a squirrel before. I don't want to lose him, so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice?
There are some members that have experience with tubing squees, I do not...
How is his hydration? Definitely address hydration before considering feeding.
If he is not fully hydrated he will refuse to eat.
With losing weight I would subQ if you know how to do that, if not one drop at
a time if that's what it takes.
Homemade hydration fluid:
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 quart water.
1/2 measure:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoon sugar (3-teaspoons)
16 oz water (1-pint)
1/4 measure:
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
8 oz water

PreikschatE
07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
There are some members that have experience with tubing squees, I do not...
How is his hydration? Definitely address hydration before considering feeding.
If he is not fully hydrated he will refuse to eat.
With losing weight I would subQ if you know how to do that, if not one drop at
a time if that's what it takes.
Homemade hydration fluid:
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 quart water.
1/2 measure:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoon sugar (3-teaspoons)
16 oz water (1-pint)
1/4 measure:
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
8 oz water

I use Pedalyte to hydrate and he seems ok, no skin tenting.

kcassidy
08-05-2018, 08:03 PM
I tube feed Opossoms and Bunnies, if I had reason to I wouldn't be afraid to tube pinky squirrels. But.... I've never had to do this in 11 years of rehabbing. I'd be leary of tube feeding this one because you need to find out WHY this one isn't eating.

I know this is 10ish days later than you first posted, just adding my experience incase you're still having issues.

What did happen with the baby?

Betty Jo
03-23-2022, 07:22 AM

Have you tube fed? If so, was it successfull?

Mel1959
03-23-2022, 07:53 AM
Betty Jo, this is an old thread dated 2018.

Are you having a problem with a baby eating? I have not heard of anyone tube feeding a pinky, that doesn’t say it hasn’t been done. It’s something you wouldn’t want to attempt unless you were experienced at tube feeding.

If you need help with a particular issue start a new thread in the Emergency or Non-Emergency section.