PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have elder squirels? Please, I need help.

Sierra&Pip
06-23-2018, 01:06 AM
Hello, I'm Sierra and I have a 9/10 year old squirrel. When I first met Pip, I was a kid myself. I didn't understand the responsibility of having a pet, let alone a squirrel. But, I immediately grew attached to her. She's my girl. Recently, I've realized how quickly time has passed for us. Being an adult now, again I've realized how much of her life I've worked away.

I had her in a small enclosure similar to the mccaw cage's, but I felt that started to grip her nails to much. So I built her a 8ftx4ftx3ft enclosure which has a huge oak branch, smaller branches and two hammocks.

Please, I'm really open to any advice you have. What are activities, better cage ideas, toys, food, advice on her health?
Truthfully, I'm desperate because she's my girl. My first pet, and I feel like I'm very close to loosing her.. I'm not ready for that day, and i'm sorry i'm selfish. I read they can live up to 20 years and that's what I want her around for. Again, its truly selfish but I can not imagine my life without her.

Diggie's Friend
06-23-2018, 01:24 AM
Good for you to make your girl a large habit cage!. Weight bearing exercise plays a key role in supporting bone density, muscle maintenance, and calorie burning.

We had built an 8 fit long by 4 by 5 for our squirrel too. We also included a short cat tree covered with carpet in the shape of a large tree.

She spent allot of time on it playing and lounging and sleeping, but also used it to reach the top of the underside of her enclosure to flip upside down and then climb down the sides of the cage.

Hammocks are super, do you have a cube, they make a comfy nest.

E. Gray squirrels have been found to live as long as 16 to 18 years, though the average is about 9 to 12 years.

Diet has allot to do with supporting longevity in captivity. What have you fed your squirrel over the years?

Other than her age, has she shown any change in behavior recently, like not eating as well, becoming lethargic, or a recent change or prevent limitation of movement?

SophieSquirrel
06-23-2018, 01:37 AM
Diggies Friend is right diet play a major part as does exercise and enrichment. You cage sounds fine. Do you give her time out of the cage to play with you and to snuggle? Tell us about your routine and diet and what has been working for you. Stay with the Squirrel Board as there are a lot of knowledgeable people and it's a big squirrel family on here!

9-10 years is great and you obviously are doing a good job with her. In the wild many don't make it to their first year.

This diet is recommended for optimum health: https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/

HRT4SQRLS
06-23-2018, 06:40 AM
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard Sierra&Pip

It is possible for a squirrel to live 20 years but it's not really realistic. I know of one squirrel on this board that was well documented that lived 22 years but that was most definitely the exception to the rule. Many of the 15 year olds that we see here are declining and have life limiting issues. I think 12 years is a good expectation for a good long squirrel life. Of course, I hope Pip will be one of the record breakers. :grin2

The diet has already been mentioned so that is the most critical issue to consider. I'm sure you're doing a lot RIGHT because squirrels on a poor diet don't live 9/10 years.
I'd also like to mention the heat right now. I'm over in Hillsborough County. For us in Central FL temp in the 90's is pretty normal but for a senior squirrel it might be too much. Is her cage in a shaded area? You might want to put a thermometer outside to monitor her environment. I built a paver patio in the back yard. It's about 30X40. The problem is that these brick sit in the sun and absorb heat all day long. It has increased the temperature outside my back door to the extent that I don't use it in the summer. It's WAY too hot. The reason I say this is that you might want to consider anything like this that makes it super hot in her area. She definitely needs shade.

We have several members in your area. There is a great vet that sees squirrels close to you (Largo) so I can send that info in a Private Message if you're interested.
I too hope that Pip lives 20 years. :grin2

stosh2010
06-23-2018, 08:05 AM
WELCOME to TSB..........
Great advice so far...and I'm sure lots more to come......

PLEASE a photo would make my day...( of PIP.) If you wish I can post a photo for you. E-mail to Stosh at vesuviusguy@aol.com

Rexie
06-25-2018, 03:44 PM
Hello, I'm Sierra and I have a 9/10 year old squirrel. When I first met Pip, I was a kid myself. I didn't understand the responsibility of having a pet, let alone a squirrel. But, I immediately grew attached to her. She's my girl. Recently, I've realized how quickly time has passed for us. Being an adult now, again I've realized how much of her life I've worked away.

I had her in a small enclosure similar to the mccaw cage's, but I felt that started to grip her nails to much. So I built her a 8ftx4ftx3ft enclosure which has a huge oak branch, smaller branches and two hammocks.

Please, I'm really open to any advice you have. What are activities, better cage ideas, toys, food, advice on her health?
Truthfully, I'm desperate because she's my girl. My first pet, and I feel like I'm very close to loosing her.. I'm not ready for that day, and i'm sorry i'm selfish. I read they can live up to 20 years and that's what I want her around for. Again, its truly selfish but I can not imagine my life without her.

you are absolutely not being selfish.....you love her and want her in your life as long as possible🐿💖

Trooper
06-26-2018, 12:58 PM
I have been struck by the number of people whom have had the chance to be caregivers to squirrels and say "I cannot imagine my life without him/her". What is it that squirrels have, that cats or dogs don't? For my part, I am in the same camp with those who can affirm my life would have not been as enriched without my Trooper.

I am so happy to hear you have been able to keep Pip a happy girl for all this years. Great job!!!

Doing the larger cage will bring her renewed activities that will be healthy in the long run. Regards,

Trooper's dad