PDA

View Full Version : MAGGOTS ears/nostrils

hazel
08-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Got a little boy squirrel today - fly eggs in fur and maggots in rectum and in prepuce - Believe all that is under control - BUT - he has maggots in his nostrils and in his ears. He has a lot of spirit - I'd really like to try to save him (I've been up all night).
Read about Capstar or oral Ivermectin. I'm a vet tech and have access to all in a few hours.

ADVICE ????

I'm keeping him warm/LRS sub-q/oral dextrose/flower remedies.

Thanks.

squirrelfriend
08-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Wow, poor guy. I don't know what to tell you except to keep picking as many off as you can. Especially in the nose so that they don't block his breathing. There might be some meds that you can use to get rid of them but I wil leave that to the rehabbers on here to give you better advice on. Good luck with him. I hope that he does well.

island rehabber
08-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Poor baby!! CAPSTAR is excellent for killing internal maggots and can be given to the smallest critters -- ivermectin is good, too but Capstar is a miracle worker in this department!! Good luck and please keep us posted!!

Gabe
08-06-2007, 06:27 AM
I agree with IR, Capstar works great for maggots, internal and external.
Good Luck with the little guy.

Critter_Queen
08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Also, using a syringe with a slip tip to suck the maggots out gently can help to clean them out.

Beware, maggots in the anal opening are a very bad sign. :grouphug

thundersquirrel
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
and just a hint.....

as soon as you think you've found all the maggots and eggs....

you haven't!

i like to use a q-tip to gently brush against the baby's fur. look everywhere! it's a tedious process, and usually the baby starts to fuss before the end, but maggots can be, and often are, deadly.

good luck. please keep us updated.

Squirrelygirl63
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Please tell me that those "M" things are not something that is commonly found on squirrels!!! I have a strong stomach for the most part but when I volunteered for several years with our local fire & ambulance I had a bad experience when I found them on a person that had been dead for a couple of days. Just the word makes me nearly throw up!! :flash3
Really, I just want to say :thankyou for being able to handle it and I truly hope that my love for squirrels can over come whatever if one needs me.
I have really learned a lot from all of you and hopefully will make ya'll proud if I ever rescue another squirrel. I sure do miss my Daisey!
squirrelygirl63

hazel
08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone -

Wish I had better news.........I made the difficult decision tonight to euthanize my little friend - it was apparent that he was in the early stages of dying and so I decided not to let him suffer anymore. It's always extra hard when it's a baby. I did it myself so he was in loving hands and on his crematon tag I wrote "A very brave little boy".

I'd like to tell you about myself and I have some questions and suggestions, but I just don't have it in me right now.

Thanks, all of you, for your support. It helps.

Mars
08-06-2007, 11:37 PM
We will be here for you when you are ready. I'm so sorry for your brave little one. :Love_Icon

4skwerlz
08-07-2007, 12:08 AM
What Gammas said. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

island rehabber
08-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Hazel, I'm so sorry you lost him, but as Critter Queen said when the maggots are in the anal area it is a very bad sign....they are obviously throughout the baby's internal organs from end to end. :( There was nothing you could have done differently at that point, but you made him warm and safe so he could cross the Bridge in peace.

Please come back to us when you're ready. We would love to hear about you, and about the squirrels in your life. I'm saying a little prayer for that brave little boy. :peace

pamela lee
08-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Hazel, I'm so sorry about your Brave Little Boy. Rest in Peace Brave Little Boy....:sad :sad

Kathy56
08-07-2007, 07:19 AM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Buddy'sMom
08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

So very sad to read about this little one .... but it was a truly brave and generous thing for you to take him out of his misery and spare him a horrible "natural" death. He died safe and loved. This was your final gift to him. :Love_Icon

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

wdarmac
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
:sorry to hear you lost the little one:grouphug

Critter_Queen
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm so sorry he didn't make it. :grouphug

Thank you for making the decision to euthanize him when you knew it was all you could do to end his suffering. I know how hard that is to do....:sad :grouphug

Please do come back and share with us...when you're ready we'll be here.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
:sad I am so sorry to hear that the little guy didn't make it. He was a brave little boy and you were very brave as well. I am glad you were able to end his suffering and I know he would thank you. You let him go in peace.

RIP brave little boy :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

ManuMaus
08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
:sorry

And you sure got my respect ... I know how hard it is to make that decision.

Hope youre ok!!!

hazel
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your help and for your very kind words. I'm OK.

I had given him oral ivermectin without impressive results - perhaps the dose was too low. Next time I will try Capstar and I've brought some home to have on hand. Trying to grab maggots out of openings as small as baby squirrel nostrils and ears is an excercise in total frustration! The evil things are much faster than we are and somehow they know when we're coming! I never did get them all and they do grow at an alarming rate.

I was gifted with another boy last pm - approx. 50 eggs on him but no live ones, thank goodness. I like to use a plastic flea comb to remove eggs.

Squirrelygirl63- maggots aren't more likely to occurr on squirrels than on any other animal. Flies lay eggs on animals who aren't moving around much and those eggs remain and hatch on animals who aren't grooming - in other words, infants, injured and sick animals.

Critterqueen- Slip tip syringes are good, but the Queen deserves nothing less than the Monoject Curved Tip syringe. They're the best for so many tasks and in this case allowed me to get in the babys ears and nostrils. Also, the long curved tip can be cut back to make the opening whatever size you need. They are also unsurpassed for flushing wounds.

Again, thankyou, one and all, for your kind support.
I will introduce myself in the proper forum soon.

:thankyou :thankyou

Critter_Queen
08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Critterqueen- Slip tip syringes are good, but the Queen deserves nothing less than the Monoject Curved Tip syringe. They're the best for so many tasks and in this case allowed me to get in the babys ears and nostrils. Also, the long curved tip can be cut back to make the opening whatever size you need. They are also unsurpassed for flushing wounds.

Oooooo...gonna have to get me some of those...where would I get them???

hazel
08-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't know if they're available anywhere online.

My first thought is to ask your vet if they would order a box for you.

Offically, it's the Monoject 12cc 412 Curved Tip Syringe.

Vets most commonly use them for flushing and instilling medication into anal glands, and also for flushing small wounds. I've used them for tons of purposes including crafts. I wouldn't want to be without them.

Let me know if you are able to get some.

Secret Squirrel
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Oooooo...gonna have to get me some of those...where would I get them???

Yes !!!! :bowdown you are the Queen....:bowdown !!! A well deserving hand maiden would like some of those syringes too!!!!

Mars
08-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Found them !!

http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar3785.html

Is that it??

I use small clean paint brushes to clean around wounds and to apply ointments. But I need to get some of these.

Mars
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
And they are here at a very good price.

http://www.bestbuydentalsupply.com/shop/buyprod/viewprod.asp?categ=Impression+Accessories&view=sub&val=Syringe

hazel
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
You guys are good!

Yes, you found 'em.

Wonder if the vets price would be higher or lower? I wouldn't venture a guess.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys will like them.:wahoo