PDA

View Full Version : Over wintering baby squirrels question

Shammie
06-07-2018, 03:55 PM
I am in the process of getting my rehab license in the state of Maine. I am going to be building enclosures for the squirrels I will be housing and I am trying to get more information before we start building. I spoke with the Wildlife Rehabilitation office today hoping to get more info on dimensions and I asked her about indoor enclosures for overwintering squirrels if need be. She said she would never allow me to keep baby squirrels over the winter and says that they would be fine to release and that it's very rare squirrels here have litters in the fall. From my research this does not seem right to me. Is there anyone in the northern states that rehab squirrel and have to keep them over the winter? I would be worried that releasing them close to winter time they wouldn't be able to find enough food to survive through the winter. Is this true?

Spanky
06-07-2018, 04:04 PM
She said she would never allow me to keep baby squirrels over the winter and says that they would be fine to release and that it's very rare squirrels here have litters in the fall.

I will defer to the more northern members to address some of the concerns/ questions about overwintering in your area but I had to share may immediate response to her statement about fall babies:
:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2

stepnstone
06-07-2018, 04:39 PM
I agree with Spanky on that asinine comment.... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying.gif
Shoot Sammy's mom a pm she's in Conn, your in Maine.
Your both cold as hell in the winter.
I'm betting she can give you some experienced advice
since she rehabs a ton....

cava
06-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Wait, you mean I looked like a walking scratching post the past two winters when I didn't have to?

Outdoor fall babies with mothers can snuggle and stay warm and nurse on her for food and eat HER stash. Orphans don't stand a chance.

Nancy in New York
06-07-2018, 05:32 PM
I am in the process of getting my rehab license in the state of Maine. I am going to be building enclosures for the squirrels I will be housing and I am trying to get more information before we start building. I spoke with the Wildlife Rehabilitation office today hoping to get more info on dimensions and I asked her about indoor enclosures for overwintering squirrels if need be. She said she would never allow me to keep baby squirrels over the winter and says that they would be fine to release and that it's very rare squirrels here have litters in the fall. From my research this does not seem right to me. Is there anyone in the northern states that rehab squirrel and have to keep them over the winter? I would be worried that releasing them close to winter time they wouldn't be able to find enough food to survive through the winter. Is this true?

Here's a thread about outdoor enclosures that you may find helpful.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?40471-Building-an-outdoor-release-cage

Most fall babies start arriving mid July and go through until early September.
(There are exceptions)
Almost everyone I know overwinters these "fall babies" for a number of reasons.
They are too young for release while the weather is still good.
We start loosing our leaves in October, so coverage is slim to none.
They have no territory, and very little time to build a drey and collect/hoard their "stash".

A very well respected rehabber, Barbara Bellens-Picon, once told me that many rehabbers, where she lives in Long Island NY,
will not even take in fall babies if they can't overwinter them.
They feel that if they release in the fall, they are only raising hawk food.

Shammie
06-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Ugh... I thought she was pretty nuts! Thank you for the responses. Just frustrating that I'm going to have to deal with this lady. Has anyone had this problem with their state regulations? I'm supposedly suppose to report everything I do but if I have to keep a winter baby I'm not just going to let it freeze because they have dumb rules :(

cava
06-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Talk to her again.

Are you a subpermittee for her? Why do you have to deal with her?

Shammie
06-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Talk to her again.

Are you a subpermittee for her? Why do you have to deal with her?

She is the one who issues me a lisence once I pass my test and get an inspection. She's the wildlife Division Director. I guess I don't need to bring it up again until I'm licensed. I'm new to how all this stuff works, I will hopefully be taking my test next week. My husband will be helping me build so I'm just trying to get all the info I need so I can have the proper housing.

Shammie
06-07-2018, 06:51 PM
She also told me that no other rehabber has ever asked her to keep a baby over the winter.. I'm really saddened by the lack of knowledge in my state :(

Shammie
06-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Here's a thread about outdoor enclosures that you may find helpful.
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?40471-Building-an-outdoor-release-cage

Most fall babies start arriving mid July and go through until early September.
(There are exceptions)
Almost everyone I know overwinters these "fall babies" for a number of reasons.
They are too young for release while the weather is still good.
We start loosing our leaves in October, so coverage is slim to none.
They have no territory, and very little time to build a drey and collect/hoard their "stash".

A very well respected rehabber, Barbara Bellens-Picon, once told me that many rehabbers, where she lives in Long Island NY,
will not even take in fall babies if they can't overwinter them.
They feel that if they release in the fall, they are only raising hawk food.

Thank you! This is great information!

Mel1959
06-08-2018, 07:17 AM
I live in Florida and there are folks here that don’t release in the winter for all the same reasons and we don’t come close to the cold temperatures you do in Maine! :eek:eek.

One thing I think you have to realize is that all rehabbers ARE NOT the same. Your Division Director sounds like one of THOSE kinds of rehabbers that doesn’t have the best interest of their little charges at heart. I couldn’t imagine releasing a Fall baby in Maine. I would think it would be a death sentence. :shakehead:shakehead

Spanky
06-08-2018, 07:54 AM
Don't ask don't tell. Best way to do the right thing IMO.

Mel1959
06-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Don't ask don't tell. Best way to do the right thing IMO.

:yeahthat:yeah that’s