PDA

View Full Version : When to release?

WhistlingPete
05-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Hello! I posted a few weeks ago about a squirrel that was found in a building where I work. I took him in, making us a two squirrel household. I am happy to keep him and do a soft release but I need guidance. He is starting to wean himself off of the formula and we have an enclosed porch where we let him play so he gets used to sounds and smells. I've set up a squirrel jungle gym to give him jumping and climbing practice also.

Where do I go from here? Is there a checklist of "one squirrel seems to know these things it's safe to release him?"

Thanks!

Mel1959
05-28-2018, 08:33 PM
How old is he? It’s best to not release until about 16 weeks old. They need that time to mature and be ready for the outdoors. You want to give him every opportunity for success as a wild squirrel.

Do you have an outside cage for him? Do you intend to put the inside cage outside for him? Ideally he should spend about 2-4 weeks in the release cage. Some squirrels take longer. While he’s out there he’ll hear and smell the other squirrels. He’ll hear their alarm calls and other noises they make to communicate. He’ll get used to the dawn and dusk wake and bedtime pattern. You’ll feed him as usual a couple of times a day.

I don’t know that there’s a checklist to tell you when he’s ready. Some squirrels are quite scared when they get into the release cage, others become bullies and just want out. I think you’ll have to observe him.

Has he built any dreys in his cage or in the house? I always give mine a box of tissues or toilet paper and let them go to town building their nest. Scraps of material will also work. If you bring cut oak branches with the leaves still on them into the house or the release cage he can use leaves for his drey. It’s nice if the have the drey building skill before you release them.

I have a large release cage that I can walk inside. It has a little ante room with two doors to prevent escapes. I know other folks use a little door to put food in and out of to prevent escapes. Your release cage has to have a little portal door for him to be released from. The little portal door should only be about 3”-4”diameter. That way the squirrel can enter and exit it, but predators can’t. After release if he returns to the cage to sleep then you close the portal at night and open it for him in the morning. I also have always put two nest boxes in the release cage for my squirrels to get their scent on. When I go to release I put one of the nest boxes in a close by tree so they have somewhere safe to sleep if they choose to stay out. The other nest box in the release cage is their safe spot if the return to the cage at night.

This was probably more information than you were asking for...sorry! He’s very cute, by the way!

WhistlingPete
05-28-2018, 08:48 PM
How old is he? It’s best to not release until about 16 weeks old. They need that time to mature and be ready for the outdoors. You want to give him every opportunity for success as a wild squirrel.

Do you have an outside cage for him?

This was probably more information than you were asking for...sorry! He’s very cute, by the way!

I think he's 12 weeks based on some estimates on here when I first posted. I know he isn't ready yet but now that he's starting to reject the formula I figured it's time to check back in.

I don't have an outside cage or even really know what the difference is except what you just said. I'd also never heard the word "drey" before. Since Petey is a ground squirrel and releasing him wasn't the plan his journey was so different.

Someone mentioned getting him a nesting box now. I think honestly the cage he is in is too small in general really but I could upgrade him to a rabbit cage a friend has. I'm not sure if the gaps are too wide though.

My other question though is about being out of town... I'm gone for 8 days from June 5 to 13th. Im going to bed to leave really specific instructions for both squirrels so thoughts on what sort of info to leave is helpful.

Thank you##

Mel1959
05-28-2018, 09:01 PM
A rabbit cage really isn’t big enough for a squirrel either, unless it’s a big rabbit cage. Squirrel cages are best if their tall. It helps them learn to climb better.

I’m not sure where you’re located, but would you be interested in seeing if we could find someone that could release your little guy for you?

WhistlingPete
05-29-2018, 08:57 AM
A rabbit cage really isn’t big enough for a squirrel either, unless it’s a big rabbit cage. Squirrel cages are best if their tall. It helps them learn to climb better.

I’m not sure where you’re located, but would you be interested in seeing if we could find someone that could release your little guy for you?

I found a couple wildlife rehabbers listed online in this area. One is with the National River museum and I think specializes in aquatic creatures but the other is at the county parks office. I emailed both of them to ask if htey know anyone either with equipment I could borrow or someone with experience in this.

CritterMom
05-29-2018, 10:04 AM
Oh dear. Be very careful. The county and state can be just terrible - like confiscate and euthanize because you are not a licensed rehabber terrible. You will need to guard Petey too... Honestly, if they call back I would tell them he accidentally chewed his way out and is gone...

WhistlingPete
05-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Oh dear. Be very careful. The county and state can be just terrible - like confiscate and euthanize because you are not a licensed rehabber terrible. You will need to guard Petey too... Honestly, if they call back I would tell them he accidentally chewed his way out and is gone...

Oh darn I didn't even think of that. In Idaho it was legal so I was able to talk to Fish and Game and to Vets without worrying about it. The people that I found were listed on this page and there is still a private person that I could call today. Do you think it's safer if they are listed here?
https://www.nrem.iastate.edu/wildlife/contacts/Wildlife-Rehabilitation/Dubuque

WhistlingPete
05-29-2018, 11:16 AM

The river museum rehabber gave me a couple names of local people. One isn't taking animals anymore, and the other said basically if this squirrel is really healthy that I could probably wait a few more weeks and then release in one of the heavily forested parks. She said give him some shelled hazelnuts because those grow rampant here and when he can crack them open then he is safe to release. I'm nervous to release at my house because I'm afraid he will do a flying jump at one of the kids running around nearby, even though I would rather that so he has ample time to build his little squirrel skills up. I left a message for the 3rd person on the list so maybe they will want to help directly.

WhistlingPete
05-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Good news!! I found a wildlife rehab center that is only about 40 minutes from here. They said that they can take him, and, even more fun, we could even volunteer there with other animals possibly. We already volunteer at the Humane Society but I'd love to help with animals like this squirrel but not in my own (rented) home. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/Wapsi-River-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Project-157879560921425

Before I take him there, can someone else give their page a look and see if it seems like a good place to bring him? They seemed knowledgeable and kind on the phone.

Thanks!

Mel1959
05-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Oh darn I didn't even think of that. In Idaho it was legal so I was able to talk to Fish and Game and to Vets without worrying about it. The people that I found were listed on this page and there is still a private person that I could call today. Do you think it's safer if they are listed here?
https://www.nrem.iastate.edu/wildlife/contacts/Wildlife-Rehabilitation/Dubuque

According to Sophie Squirrel Iowa is a legal state to have squirrels. Please confirm by sending him a private message. I’m glad you found someone. Sophie Squirrel might also know something about the place you found to release. Finding somewhere to take your young one I’m sure is a relief if you are heading out of town. :great

WhistlingPete
05-29-2018, 01:38 PM
According to Sophie Squirrel Iowa is a legal state to have squirrels. Please confirm by sending him a private message. I’m glad you found someone. Sophie Squirrel might also know something about the place you found to release. Finding somewhere to take your young one I’m sure is a relief if you are heading out of town. :great

Thanks, I will do that. And yes, it is a relief. I have friends who have offered to help out but even if you've had bunnies or lizards and other exotics, I think it just isn't the same as a when a squirrel comes flying at your face. haha, which I say lovingly but I'm not sure everyone does.

TubeDriver
05-29-2018, 02:27 PM
If this option does not work, I have the name of a great rehabber within 1.5 hours that can soft release him for you.

WhistlingPete
05-30-2018, 09:44 PM
I drove to the wildlife rehabbers place and she was great. She had a couple other squirrels and also other babies.... Mink, possum, groundhog, and a lot of raccoons. Oh and a baby skunk. She asked all the right questions about what we've done with him so far and gave us a little tour. She had a "friend" picked out for him to try socializing with But explained if he didn't like him that was okay too. I feel much better about this squirrel being cared for by someone who knows what they're doing.

Nancy in New York
05-30-2018, 10:00 PM
I drove to the wildlife rehabbers place and she was great. She had a couple other squirrels and also other babies.... Mink, possum, groundhog, and a lot of raccoons. Oh and a baby skunk. She asked all the right questions about what we've done with him so far and gave us a little tour. She had a "friend" picked out for him to try socializing with But explained if he didn't like him that was okay too. I feel much better about this squirrel being cared for by someone who knows what they're doing.

Does she release the raccoons where she releases the squirrels?
I don't like the sounds of a lot of raccoons.
As one member stated, they are killing machines. :shakehead

WhistlingPete
05-30-2018, 11:34 PM
Does she release the raccoons where she releases the squirrels?
I don't like the sounds of a lot of raccoons.
As one member stated, they are killing machines. :shakehead

The raccoons had a different area that they were kept in. We asked about how they get released and it's in a different location. She said the county conservation something helps her with releasing them in (Said area I dont know) but the squirrels she does herself. For the other animals she said it depends more on their natural habitat (like the mink for example).

Mel1959
05-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Yes, I’d be very sure the raccoons aren’t being released where the squirrels are. If you noticed Tubedriver also has someone that is willing to release for you. You might contact him by private message. Or did you already leave your little guy with the rehabber?