PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Grey squirrel inflamed itching bald spots underbelly - please help

Chippergray
04-28-2018, 10:01 PM
I released my two squirrels into my barn 2 weeks ago. I have noticed them scratching, and I know they are prone to parasites, but my males underbelly looks pitiful. I love my little squirrels, and I am going to take care of them for as long as they let me. I need to know what he has and how I can help him. It would have to be a miserable life scratching and having irritated skin.
Attaching photos

HRT4SQRLS
04-28-2018, 10:40 PM
It's probably mites of some type. Can you get Revolution for kittens from your vet?
A drop between the shoulders would probably take care of this.

CritterMom
04-29-2018, 04:46 AM
It looks like you can still handle him?? While that is likely mites, it would be nice to cover ALL of your bases. Will he let you wipe his tummy down with a damp cloth? If so, go to the drug store and buy a bottle of 10% povidone iodine. The "famous" brand name is Betadyne but they usually have a less expensive store brand which is the same stuff.

Dilute about 20 drops of the iodine in 1/4 cup water and use that diluted mix to wipe his tummy. As long as the skin gets wet you have done what you need to do - just wipe him and let him dry. It will not hurt or burn, it isn't sticky and won't bother him if he licks the area. It is antibacterial and antifungal so it covers a LOT of skin issues, including staph. Once a day is good, twice is better.

Chippergray
04-29-2018, 08:24 PM
I gave him a tummy rub today. I picked off 3 fleas in 5 seconds. Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe they are just flea bites or maybe he’s having a reaction to the fleas. So, is flea meds from the vet safe to use on squirrels? I have read a drop is. I’m worried that I will poison him. I would be beside myself if I made him sick or killed him. :klunk

HRT4SQRLS
04-29-2018, 08:34 PM
The only med (from a vets office) that we use for mites or fleas is Revolution.
We don't use Advantage or any of the other flea meds that are available at a vets office. They 'might' work but their safety on squirrels has not been established.

Revolution is safe.

SophieSquirrel
04-29-2018, 08:45 PM

I have used Adams and Zodiac for kittens with good results and I never apply directly to the Squirrels. Your thoughts on these products HRT4?

Chippergray
04-29-2018, 08:46 PM
It's probably mites of some type. Can you get Revolution for kittens from your vet?
A drop between the shoulders would probably take care of this.

We don't use Advantage or any of the other flea meds that are available at a vets office. They 'might' work but their safety on squirrels has not been established.

Revolution is safe.

Thank you so much!!! Just 1 drop?

HRT4SQRLS
04-29-2018, 08:50 PM
Thank you so much!!! Just 1 drop?

Yes, one drop.

HRT4SQRLS
04-29-2018, 08:54 PM
I have used Adams and Zodiac for kittens with good results and I never apply directly to the Squirrels. Your thoughts on these products HRT4?

I'm not sure SS. I've never used those.
I think the Revolution is a better option because it has a lingering effect
in the body as opposed to powders that are short term.

Diggie's Friend
04-30-2018, 10:24 PM
HRTSQRLS wrote:

Yes, one drop.

What a rehabber gave me to use was one drop from a needle syringe of Ivermectin onto a half of a pecan or E. walnut.

is this the same measure you use with "Revolution", or is the one drop from a ML syringe without the needle, or from a dropper, or 1/64 Tsp. drop measure?

Again not an issue of which to use, just whether the measure is the same or not, having not used Revolution before, that sounds safer.

missPixy
05-07-2018, 09:49 AM
What a rehabber gave me to use was one drop from a needle syringe of Ivermectin onto a half of a pecan or E. walnut.

is this the same measure you use with "Revolution", or is the one drop from a ML syringe without the needle, or from a dropper, or 1/64 Tsp. drop measure?

Again not an issue of which to use, just whether the measure is the same or not, having not used Revolution before, that sounds safer.

My rehabber mentor also used this technique to dose wild squirrels who had mites, especially at this time of year when their nests haven't been refreshed with new bedding since maybe last fall.

What I do is use a walnut in shell and open the seam a bit using a nutcracker; I then squirt in .05ml of ivermectin, shake the nut and let the seam close back. I wipe off any residue that leaked on the shell itself, then throw out the nut.

It has seemed to work really well!