PDA

View Full Version : Storing Fox Valley mixed FORMULA ??

stosh2010
04-26-2018, 11:36 AM
What is the recommended usable time for storing & using Fox Valley--after you mix it and put it in the fridge.
I used to need to refill my container after 2 1/2 days...so I knew it was "fresh"
Now my Mancha girl takes less so it is lasting longer.
I need to know when I should toss out the pre-mix and
MIX up a NEW BATCH.

Jen413
04-26-2018, 01:15 PM
I mix new every 24 hours give or take an hour if I'm keeping it stored in the refrigerator. If I make it an then freeze it I keep it longer. When I only have one I typically will make a few days worth, keep out what I need for the day, then freeze the rest in an ice cube tray then move to a freezer bag once solid. Then I just thaw a few cubes each morning.

SophieSquirrel
04-26-2018, 01:24 PM
For smaller feedings I use one of these glass measuring cups used for baking. I measure out my 1 part of formula in the cup, dump in another dry cup, measure out my 2 parts water and put the glass cup with water in the microwave for 30 seconds. I then dump the 1 part dry powder in the hot water and mix. Then cap or cover and refrigerate. For reheating I use a stainless restaurant sauce cup that I put the cold formula in (after shaking/mixing) and place the stainless cup with formula in warm water. The stainless transfers heat better to the cold formula, and using warm water keeps it from overheating. You can better control the temp of the formula with this method.

When I am using much smaller amounts there is no waste with this cup as I don't keep formula over 2 days old when pre-mixed. I run my refrigerator cold.

Pyrex measuring cup

Stainless restaurant sauce cups

cava
04-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Stosh, I mix new every day and and if I haven't used it, I toss it out. I notice it starts to smell not so fresh after about 24 hours. I use tea or table spoons to make a batch and store it in a baby food jar.

Milo's Mom
04-26-2018, 03:02 PM
I mix the night before, then I pour from large container into smaller containers (I use a different container for each bin of squirrels) and I will feed for 36 hours, then toss (by the time I toss it's technically 48 hours old). I try very hard to make enough for only 1 day (24 hours) but if I over estimate I will feed for as long as 36.

stosh2010
04-26-2018, 04:12 PM
Hmmmmmmm ....
Lots of great input.....
It seems that the consensus of all replies--- 36 hrs. is a maximum.

I guess I'll start mixing smaller batches.

Is the freezing option used by other rehabbers...?

HRT4SQRLS
04-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Yes, freezing is an option. When I had the group of Hurricane babies I mixed a larger batch of formula. I bought an interesting silicon ice cube trays that had a silicon cover. Of course, any ice cube tray will work. I froze the cubes and used them as needed. If you want you can put the frozen cubes into a ZipLoc bag in the freezer. Thaw as needed. No waste.

Nancy in New York
04-26-2018, 05:21 PM
I too make mine ahead and freeze.
Just make sure to let it sit for a few hours
in the refrig, and then whisk really good before
putting into ice cube trays or containers.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-kj6KbDw/0/3f5ab590/S/i-kj6KbDw-S.jpg

Jen413
04-26-2018, 08:08 PM
I use the silicone ice cube trays too. But mine doesn’t have a top so I have to pop them out and store them in a bag. I mix mine the night before and freeze the next morning after setting aside what I will use that day.

stosh2010
04-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Thank You
Thank You
Thank You------------------------ everyone...

NOW...I am a MAN with a PLAN !