PDA

View Full Version : Feeding wild squirrel with baby (or babies) on my balcony

Mama Sciurus
03-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Hi All

I'm new to this forum as of yesterday. For about a year, I've had a lovely gray squirrel come to my balcony and sun in a chair. She was, I suspect, attracted to my balcony because I had bird feeders. Several weeks ago, I reduced my bird feeding to one squirrel- and starling-proof suet feeder. Three days ago, I put a canvas cart with wheels on my balcony to start cleaning up the mess out there. I filled it part way with junk and left it. My adorable resident squirrel jumped right in. Yesterday, I went out there to bring the cart outside my front door to take the contents down to the trash. She leaped out of the cart when I started to move it. When I felt inside, a baby squirrel moved. I don't know how many babies there are.

I am very excited about being a "squirrel godmother." QUESTION: Should I feed the mother squirrel or just let her eat from her winter stash nearby? It was suggested to me that I could give her small amounts of avocado and walnuts. If so, how much? I want to keep her wild and don't want her to depend on me. Many thanks!

cava
03-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Hi there! You can feed the yard squirrels, but I wouldn't put food in the vicinity of her and babies. It will not only attract competing squirrels, but also predators at night. If she is on a balcony don't feed the neighborhood animals there.

It would be fine to offer her a nut or two daily, or a piece of apple or blueberry, or avocado, but keep it tidy and you won't attract nighttime critters who can be dangerous for mom and babies. Giving her food treats won't domesticate her.

Here's a list of safe food for squirrels:
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Mama Sciurus
03-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Hi cava,

I greatly appreciate your reply and the link to the chart of healthy foods to feed a squirrel. Today I did buy a bag of raw, unsalted walnuts for mama squirrel and put out a small dish with 3 walnut halves which I cut up. She jumped out of the nest, concerned at my presence, but quickly set about eating all of the treat. Mama squirrel looks healthy and well nourished, so I assume she has food stashed around the neighborhood. I will take your advice and not feed her, except for small treats of walnut and avocado no more than once a day. Please let me know if that sounds reasonable. Thanks!

cava
03-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Yes! Now sit back and enjoy watching her!:w00t

Mama Sciurus
03-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Thanks, I certainly will!!

Mel1959
03-24-2018, 07:49 AM
I have found that most all my wild squirrels will eat avocado (no skin or pit) and chunks of raw coconut. The extra fat might be helpful while she’s nursing.

Is your momma still around? Sometimes if momma is frightened she can move her babies to another location.

Mama Sciurus
03-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Yes, mama squirrel is still on the nest on my balcony. I saw her late yesterday afternoon. When I went out there to provide her walnut treat, she jumped out of the nest and was most unhappy that I was there. However, the minute she saw the new walnuts, she starts eating. I plan to give her some avocado today. Thanks for your helpful reply!

CritterMom
03-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Yes, mama squirrel is still on the nest on my balcony. I saw her late yesterday afternoon. When I went out there to provide her walnut treat, she jumped out of the nest and was most unhappy that I was there. However, the minute she saw the new walnuts, she starts eating. I plan to give her some avocado today. Thanks for your helpful reply!

Remember, the meat of the avocado ONLY - peel the skin off and remove the pit and put them where she can't get them...

Mama Sciurus
03-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Not to worry, I wouldn't even take the pit or skin out to my balcony. Just the meat.

Mama Sciurus
03-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks you! Question: I'm about to feed mama squirrel (and me) some fresh avocado (no skin, no pit). Usually, I sprinkle lemon juice on an opened avocado to prevent it from getting brown. Will this hurt mama squirrel? The portion I'm giving her shortly has no lemon juice but the next one might.

SophieSquirrel
03-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Avocados contains polyphenol oxidase which is an enzyme that causes the Avocado to turn brown after exposure to air. It's not the color that is a problem unless there are brown spots or on a just cut Avo or the entire thing is brown inside (rotten). If you cut it and it turns brown from the air you are OK as long as the temp is below 40 deg F.

The problem is when bacteria grows quickly causing a health hazard for humans and squirrels. I would reserve Avocados for wilds (less peel and pit) for colder weather (>40's) when the bacteria count will stay down.

When I cut up an Avo for my 8 NR's I eat what is left immediately so it is not wasted and start with a fresh one for the next feeding. Just cut out any brown spots, the slight brown streaks are OK.

Brown Streaks OK to eat

Brown spots, cut out and eat

Rotten, DO NOT EAT

Avocado ripening chart

Mama Sciurus
03-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Thanks, sophiesquirrel, for the very informative message about avocado. I'm being very careful to give mama squirrel avocado without any blemishes. She eats it immediately.

Mama Sciurus
03-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Update from the squirrel maternity ward :)   I now have a 2nd squirrel on my balcony, a black one, who I think is actually the female. There is also a 2nd nest that was mysteriously created when I wasn't looking. Black squirrel is in the 2nd nest. "My squirrel," the gray one, spends time grooming her and lying on top of her back. I've now concluded he is the male. He goes back and forth between the blue rolling cart nest and this smaller nest in a long planter full of dirt and leaves. Any further insight into what is going on would be most welcome. Thanks.

island rehabber
03-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Squirrels, like cats, don't stay together as couples after mating so it's highly unlikely that this is a nesting pair. I think the black one is probably your mamma's baby boy from the Fall season, and he's sticking near her even though she may have new spring babies in the nest. Just my guess -- anyone else have a better interpretation of this? :grin2

Mama Sciurus
03-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Thanks, island rehabber

Your explanation makes perfect sense. Can I assume that a baby girl from the previous litter wouldn't be welcome as she would be considered competition? I'm having such fun watching all this drama on my balcony. :serene

cava
03-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Days of our Wilds.

As the Squirrel Turns.

All My (Squirrel's) Children.

Ok, I'll stop now.:grin2

Mama Sciurus
03-30-2018, 05:44 PM
:highfive

Diggie's Friend
03-30-2018, 11:36 PM
We have an adult female fox squirrel that visits our yard, that has a younger, and a bit smaller near adult male that is hanging out with her, that is rests in physical contact with her, and follows her wherever she goes. Yet having seen a number of mating chases over the years, I don't think that is what is going on with these two; for though they eat separately within one to two feet of one another, they do not challenge each other, but show mutual respect. Then when done, off the both of them go, the younger male following the larger female.

I think this female may be pregnant. Likely she will run off this male that is likely one of her own young now near grown.

Mama Sciurus
04-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Hi All,

Here's an update on the squirrels on my 4th floor balcony. I still have the gray mama squirrel who comes to my balcony but less and less. Then we have the much smaller (adorable black squirrel), presumably a little male from her previous litter as per previous comments on this forum. This little black squirrel plays all day on the balcony, hoping in and out of the nest, running up and down my sliding door screens, entertaining my indoor cat to no end. I haven't gone out there to check, but I doubt there is a live baby in the nest anymore. Mama squirrel may have moved it/them someplace else.

Here are two questions I'd appreciate your answering; I just want to do the right thing:

1) Should I feed this little black juvenile? Or, can I assume he is able to leave the balcony and climb down the wall of my building to find food, as his mother does? I haven't put food out in several days because mama squirrel really only spends a little time there now.

2) When the "coast is clear" on my balcony, should I just remove the cart with the nest, making sure there is no live baby inside? I don't want these two squirrels to think I'm providing a permanent home.

Many thanks!

Mel1959
04-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Have you ever seen this young squirrel climb down the building? What’s the approx. age? Can you post a current picture? Does momma come back and tend to this baby at all or is it on its own? Where is it sleeping? In the cart?

Having this information will make it easier to advise you what to do. This little guy has to have a home or be able to leave your balcony before you remove the cart, if that’s his home. If he can leave, do you want him to leave? If you don’t want to encourage him to stay, then I wouldn’t feed, that’s assuming he is capable of leaving your balcony on his own to get food. Not knowing your balcony setup makes it difficult to know what his options are.

If he can’t leave the balcony yet, then I’d definitely feed. If you do, offer some nutritious items like Henry’s blocks (my wilds will occasionally eat the Wild Bites) avocado, coconut meat, some veggies in addition to a few nuts. :grin2

Mama Sciurus
04-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Thanks, Mel1959

I've attached two photos, one showing both the gray mother squirrel and the black juvenile. The other just showing the juvenile. I have no idea of the little one's age. The mother comes up to the balcony and is here as I write you. Frankly, I don't know if the juvenile can climb down the wall of my building, but it got up here somehow. It seems a little large for the mother to carry. If junior climbs up and down the wall, it isn't while I'm looking. A few minutes ago, I noticed the shell of a large nut on the floor of my balcony, presumably brought up by the mother as it didn't come from me.

Should I be concerned that the little black squirrel won't get enough to eat/drink? If you all think the little guy is old enough to fend for himself, I am ready to remove the blue cart/nest from my balcony. But, I don't want to do anything to harm junior.

Again, thanks!

Mel1959
04-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Great pictures. The little black juvie is precious! :Love_Icon. I really love black squirrels. Unfortunately I’m not very good at estimating age, so hopefully others will chime in.

What floor of the building are you on? Have you watched the path the mom takes when she climbs to the balcony? What is the building surface made out of (wood, stucco, siding etc.)? I assume there are no trees that hang over the roof of the building or near your balcony?

I do find it interesting that momma is still coming up to the balcony and possibly providing food for the juvie. It makes me wonder if he can get down. :dono:dono

Any folks out there have an idea of how old this juvie is?

cava
04-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Frances and Big Momma (a wild) both have babies that size in my back yard. They aren't touching the ground yet, but they are practicing climbing and go really high up and down, chasing one another (two separate trees). I wonder if he's not allowed to go to the ground yet?

But if it's a matter of climbing, I'm seeing some amazing climbing by the gray babies that are that size here.

island rehabber
04-13-2018, 06:49 AM
What a precious little guy he is! I love black squirrels, too -- about 10% of my rehabs over the years have been blackies. Anyway, he looks to be about 10-12 weeks old by mid-Atlantic standards. Those of you in KY and FL, remember your squirrels are smaller than ours so a 'baby' the size of this one could be 6 months old in your area. I think this little one will get the hang of following Mamma down the side of the building soon, but if you wanted to be really careful you could hang a large rope off your balcony for them. We did this my first year of rehabbing, when I thought it was ok to release right from my home. My guys went up and down that rope every day for a few weeks, coming home to sleep in their cage. We used a nice fat marine quality rope and they climbed it beautifully.

If you can't do that, I would wait and watch, letting Mamma be the judge. You don't want to encourage the baby to live on your balcony forever. :grin2