PDA

View Full Version : Blind one eye

marykey7
03-21-2018, 06:42 AM
I have a 6 week old squirrel that is blind in one eye. What are her chances of being released back into the wild?

cava
03-21-2018, 06:52 AM
Hi Mary and welcome to TSB!

Many wild squirrels are making it with one eye. What makes you think she is blind in the eye? Please post a photo.

Can you tell us more about her like her history/how you got her, what you're feeding her, where you keep her, etc?

Thanks for helping this little one.

Here's a helpful link about baby squirrel care: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

marykey7
03-21-2018, 04:26 PM
She is one of three and the only one to be blind in an eye. She is quite a bit bigger at 170 Gs to her sister’s 120 Gs. They are about 5 1/2 weeks old and I got a call from a family who had found them on the ground. They had already had them for a few days and were not able to try to reconnect them with their mother. They were giving them cow’s milk. I have been giving them Ebsilac with a little heavy cream. Clementine was the latest to open her eyes although she was quite a bit bigger than her sisters. Her eye is milky white and I don’t see a pupil. She seemed to go in circles until her good eye opened. I will send a photo of it later. Thanks so much for responding and the great link.

marykey7
03-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Here she is!

Jen413
03-21-2018, 08:25 PM
She’s a beautiful girl!

Milo's Mom
03-21-2018, 09:38 PM
One of the biggest, baddest, meanest, get'er done squirrels I ever raised was blind in one eye. Her name was Sami (spelled with an "i", cause she needed another one). I had no choice but to release her...she was the devil reincarnate. She did just fine, had babies, brought them by, constantly argued with her old cage mates in the yard. I saw her on and off for about 3 years.

marykey7
03-21-2018, 10:10 PM
That’s so funny. I just read this to my husband and we both got a kick out of it. Also, you are the second person to say that your one eyed squirrel was on the tougher side which I can see in Clementine. I’m encouraged to know she is releasable as I hate to see anything not being able to do what God made it for. Thanks so much for your funny, informative response.

LR
03-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Here's wishing her many happy years to come!

Mel1959
03-22-2018, 06:10 AM
I’m not sure if this is applicable in this case, but nutrient deficiencies have been responsible for loss of eyesight and when corrected the eyesight returned.

marykey7
03-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Thanks. I didn’t know that and will look into it. I’ve been using Ebsilac with a little cream. They just were introduced to a mineral block and rodent block this week. I’ll make sure there’s nothing else I should be doing.