PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone! I’ve got a few concerns/questions

TheDez
03-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone! Two days ago one of my coworkers friends dog killed a mother squirrel. Neither her nor my coworker could take care of the two young squirrels that the dog had almost eaten as well (didn’t get ahold of them before they were discovered and picked up) . They asked me to care for them because i’ve raised many types of animals before. Both of them have eyes open and are starting to at least try to eat solid food. They both go to the bathroom by themselves. I feed them esibilac milk replacer every 2-4 hours, clean their cage three times a day, and make sure they have a warm heating pad at all times. They are both active, though the male squirrel is a lot more active. The female squirrel likes to sleep a lot and constantly sneezes and produces mucus from her nostrils that is part clear, part yellow-white with the occasional slight green tint. The mucus dries up and clots on her nostrils. She also has this small white bulb like mass between her lips (?), which her brother does not have. It blocks the view of her front top teeth. Her bottom teeth tend to wiggle, which I don’t know if it’s normal or not. The girl sounds slightly congested, but it does not sound like it originates from the lungs, nor does she have the pneumonia clicking noise. She just sneezes and has boogers. I was wondering if there is anything specific that could be causing this and if there is any way to make it stop. The boy also likes to self-suck himself and has caused the tip of his genitals to turn red. I stop him whenever I see him doing it, and he seems to be doing it less. Both of them seem to be between 6-7 weeks old. Any information would be much appreciated, especially any concerning the female who I am most concerned about. Thanks!

stepnstone
03-21-2018, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone! Two days ago one of my coworkers friends dog killed a mother squirrel. Neither her nor my coworker could take care of the two young squirrels that the dog had almost eaten as well (didn’t get ahold of them before they were discovered and picked up) . They asked me to care for them because i’ve raised many types of animals before. Both of them have eyes open and are starting to at least try to eat solid food. They both go to the bathroom by themselves. I feed them esibilac milk replacer every 2-4 hours, clean their cage three times a day, and make sure they have a warm heating pad at all times. They are both active, though the male squirrel is a lot more active. The female squirrel likes to sleep a lot and constantly sneezes and produces mucus from her nostrils that is part clear, part yellow-white with the occasional slight green tint. The mucus dries up and clots on her nostrils. She also has this small white bulb like mass between her lips (?), which her brother does not have. It blocks the view of her front top teeth. Her bottom teeth tend to wiggle, which I don’t know if it’s normal or not. The girl sounds slightly congested, but it does not sound like it originates from the lungs, nor does she have the pneumonia clicking noise. She just sneezes and has boogers. I was wondering if there is anything specific that could be causing this and if there is any way to make it stop. The boy also likes to self-suck himself and has caused the tip of his genitals to turn red. I stop him whenever I see him doing it, and he seems to be doing it less. Both of them seem to be between 6-7 weeks old. Any information would be much appreciated, especially any concerning the female who I am most concerned about. Thanks!

Are you feeding the powered Puppy Esbilac with pre & pro biotics as pictured?

Do you have a weight on them to know how much they need to be fed each feeding? Many times suckling is due to underfeeding.
What are you feeding with? They should be eating between 5-7% of their body weight, knowing the weight is essential not just for feeding but for any medications that may need to be administered, all meds are dosed by body weight. A 6-7 week old can go every 4 hrs. between feeds and do not need to be fed throughout night.
Their incisors can move independently of each other, no problem there. The white bulb could be a problem involving the sinus and the cause for the sneezing and drainage. The bottom incisors may be causing the problem and appear as if they may need to be trimmed down if they are irritating the gums and or retarding the growth of the top incisors. Have you seen any liquid in eyes such as white tears?

I'm attaching a link on squirrel care that may help guide you through some steps...
Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

cava
03-21-2018, 05:29 AM
Hi there. Could you please post a photo of the roof of her mouth. Is there a hole there from the bottom teeth? If so, this could explain the nasal issues. Have you ever seen top teeth in her mouth? Feel the "bulb" or gum line, do you feel teeth in there/broken or erupting?

If she has a hole in the roof of her mouth into her sinuses, she will need her teeth trimmed and possibly antibiotics.

TheDez
03-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Are you feeding the powered Puppy Esbilac with pre & pro biotics as pictured?

Do you have a weight on them to know how much they need to be fed each feeding? Many times suckling is due to underfeeding.
What are you feeding with? They should be eating between 5-7% of their body weight, knowing the weight is essential not just for feeding but for any medications that may need to be administered, all meds are dosed by body weight. A 6-7 week old can go every 4 hrs. between feeds and do not need to be fed throughout night.
Their incisors can move independently of each other, no problem there. The white bulb could be a problem involving the sinus and the cause for the sneezing and drainage. The bottom incisors may be causing the problem and appear as if they may need to be trimmed down if they are irritating the gums and or retarding the growth of the top incisors. Have you seen any liquid in eyes such as white tears?

I'm attaching a link on squirrel care that may help guide you through some steps...
Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/[/QUOTE]

Yes I am feeding them that puppy milk. Sadly I do not have a scale to weigh them, but I feed them anywhere from 6cc - 15cc (depending on how hungry they are) and feed them throughout the day, as well as once or twice at night. This morning she was fed at 4:00 and when I checked again at 6:00 her nose was sealed shut with a dry layer of mucus, causing her to mouth breath. Once I removed the dried boogers she was fine and went back to sleep. When she was mouth breathing I noticed that her bottom teeth were longer than I originally thought. How would I trim them down? And no, no liquid is coming out of her eyes, just the mouth.

TheDez
03-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Hi there. Could you please post a photo of the roof of her mouth. Is there a hole there from the bottom teeth? If so, this could explain the nasal issues. Have you ever seen top teeth in her mouth? Feel the "bulb" or gum line, do you feel teeth in there/broken or erupting?

If she has a hole in the roof of her mouth into her sinuses, she will need her teeth trimmed and possibly antibiotics.

I’ll post a picture once I get home in around two hours or so. By looking at her straight on you can’t even see the top teeth, but I know there is at least something there as she nibbles on my fingers and I can feel them. When her mouth is closed, the bulb still shows, it never goes into her mouth. This morning when I checked on her, her nostrils were blocked by hard boogers, forcing her to open mouth breath. Once I got the layer of dry mucus off she was fine and went back to sleep. Do squirrels catch colds?

Mel1959
03-22-2018, 06:04 AM
Yes, squirrels can have colds and get upper respiratory infections. If she continues to have nasal secretions she might need an antibiotic. Humidifiers and nebulizers with straight saline can help open the nasal passage. Also one teeny, tiny drop of neosynephrine placed on the nose can also help.

Examine her mouth to look for a hole in the roof of her mouth. Do you have access to a vet? Can you locate any antibiotics leftover from a Rx? Just in case.

A digital kitchen scale is a must if medication needs to be given. The dosage is based on the squirrels weight in grams.

TheDez
03-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Yes, squirrels can have colds and get upper respiratory infections. If she continues to have nasal secretions she might need an antibiotic. Humidifiers and nebulizers with straight saline can help open the nasal passage. Also one teeny, tiny drop of neosynephrine placed on the nose can also help.

Examine her mouth to look for a hole in the roof of her mouth. Do you have access to a vet? Can you locate any antibiotics leftover from a Rx? Just in case.

A digital kitchen scale is a must if medication needs to be given. The dosage is based on the squirrels weight in grams.

Last night she got really lethargic and refused to eat or move. She was dead by this morning sadly. I did check her mouth and there was no visible hole or dent on the roof. All of the vets nearby only work with cats and dogs. We were looking for meds online, but the only store around that sold them was closed. He little boy is doing great, hes running, playing, jumping, talking, eating, and using the bathroom.

cava
03-22-2018, 03:18 PM
I'm so sorry she didn't make it but I am glad she isn't struggling anymore. :hug

Hang in there with us and let us watch your little guy grow!