PDA

View Full Version : Cipro dosage

threenigma
03-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Hello, Squirrelboard! I have a squirrel that seems to be going through war. I'll spare you the details (but you're free to look up my other threads), but I need some information from the pros.

This little fellas (over 3 months old) is slowly getting off Prednisone and had a Revolution (selamectin) treatment about 2 weeks ago.

Now, this pimple has grown on his foot (surely because of biting it, his hind legs are half-functional) and I've gathered from this forum that Cipro is a good antibiotic to use. A friend is bringing me a 500mg pill tomorrow and would like to have the recommended dosage.

The squirrel weighs 450g (1lb).

Here's a picture

HRT4SQRLS
03-04-2018, 09:47 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but is there ANY possibility of getting Clavamox (Augmentin).
I HATE Cipro /Baytril for wounds.

Any chance that you could lance that? It needs lancing more than it needs antibiotics.

threenigma
03-05-2018, 07:40 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but is there ANY possibility of getting Clavamox (Augmentin).
I HATE Cipro /Baytril for wounds.

Any chance that you could lance that? It needs lancing more than it needs antibiotics.

I can try to get Clavamox (Augmentin). I have a pharmacist friend, so I can get most meds, except if they're vet meds, specifically.

What kind of technique would you use to lance this? Needle or scalpel? I have THC concentrates that I can use to mellow out the poor baby, which I've used recently to stop him from chewing his tail. Any other recommended ways to make this as painless and easy as possible?

CritterMom
03-05-2018, 08:14 AM
I can try to get Clavamox (Augmentin). I have a pharmacist friend, so I can get most meds, except if they're vet meds, specifically.

What kind of technique would you use to lance this? Needle or scalpel? I have THC concentrates that I can use to mellow out the poor baby, which I've used recently to stop him from chewing his tail. Any other recommended ways to make this as painless and easy as possible?

Then ask him for Augmentin - Clavamox is the vet med name for the same med.

I would use an X-acto knife with a brand new, sterilized blade (number 22 size is the common small one). These come to a very fine, sharp point and literally go through the skin so smoothly that there is little pain. You will not have to apply much pressure. Once the mess is cleaned out, I would draw up a diluted Betadyne solution (1/4 cup water and 20 drops of 10% povidone iodine or brand name "Betadyne) into the biggest syringe you have, poke the tip of the syringe into the hole left in the skin over the wound and force several syringefuls into the wound to help flush out the remaining infection. Betadyne is a dandy antiseptic, too, so you will now have coated the area with all of the infection in that solution. Doing this a couple times a day until healing starts, then just using a cotton ball or something to soak the area a couple times a day will greatly aid in healing. If he licks it, the betadyne solution won't hurt him, unlike some antiseptic creams, etc.

threenigma
03-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Then ask him for Augmentin - Clavamox is the vet med name for the same med.

I would use an X-acto knife with a brand new, sterilized blade (number 22 size is the common small one). These come to a very fine, sharp point and literally go through the skin so smoothly that there is little pain. You will not have to apply much pressure. Once the mess is cleaned out, I would draw up a diluted Betadyne solution (1/4 cup water and 20 drops of 10% povidone iodine or brand name "Betadyne) into the biggest syringe you have, poke the tip of the syringe into the hole left in the skin over the wound and force several syringefuls into the wound to help flush out the remaining infection. Betadyne is a dandy antiseptic, too, so you will now have coated the area with all of the infection in that solution. Doing this a couple times a day until healing starts, then just using a cotton ball or something to soak the area a couple times a day will greatly aid in healing. If he licks it, the betadyne solution won't hurt him, unlike some antiseptic creams, etc.

Thank you for your help. You seem to know your stuff. Sadly, my friend texted me back saying Augmentin/Clavamox isn't available at the pharmacy. I guess I'll have to go with Ciprox.

As for doing the procedure, would you have any tips on making it easier on the poor squirrel? It's been through hell and back, and would like to relieve pain as much as possible.

Thanks again, it is very appreciated.

CritterMom
03-05-2018, 09:08 AM
As a generic maybe? Amoxicillin clavulanate is the med name...

The Baytril just doesn't have good coverage for stuff like this - upper respiratory, yes - UTI, double yes, but abscess/pus/skin stuff - no...

If you can get this emptied out and keep it cleaned out and bathed in the betadyne solution, it may resolve without oral meds. Getting the augmentin would be best case scenario...

threenigma
03-05-2018, 09:29 AM
As a generic maybe? Amoxicillin clavulanate is the med name...

The Baytril just doesn't have good coverage for stuff like this - upper respiratory, yes - UTI, double yes, but abscess/pus/skin stuff - no...

If you can get this emptied out and keep it cleaned out and bathed in the betadyne solution, it may resolve without oral meds. Getting the augmentin would be best case scenario...

I can get some Amoxicillin-clavulanate mixed pills (875mg+125mg) only. Would you have an appropriate dosage for this?

Thank you!

Nancy in New York
03-05-2018, 09:35 AM
I can get some Amoxicillin-clavulanate mixed pills (875mg+125mg) only. Would you have an appropriate dosage for this?

Thank you!

Yes that's it!:w00t
We can break this down and dose it for you.
We just need his weight in grams.

Edit: I see that he weighs 450 grams.
Going to write this up and send it to you in a pm.

Nancy in New York
03-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Dosing sent.

Nancy in New York
03-05-2018, 09:48 AM
These are the probiotics I use.
You can use any capsule that has the powder.
The taste is benign and they take it well.
Just pull the capsule apart and add about the size of a capital O
to something he will eat or drink.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JC2tFpw/0/5652151c/O/i-JC2tFpw.jpg

CritterMom
03-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Regarding the pain...most of the time, the pressure of the expanding pus is much more painful than having it lanced, and it is more of a relief than anything. That is why I specified a brand new pointy x-acto blade (any hardware store will have these, BTW). I can tell you from bitter past experience, since I am both an artist and clumsy, that a new x-acto will cut you and you don't know it until you see the blood. It isn't like being poked with a needle.

You can give him infant ibuprophen to deal with any lingering pain if he is showing signs he hurts - pick up a bottle when you are out buying the Betadyne. My bet is that it will feel lots better once the pressure and infection are out. BTW, the DILUTED iodine - the 1/4 cup/20 drops - will not hurt or burn in any way.

Let us know if you get the infant ibuprophen - make sure it is ibuprophen - and we will dose that for you. Happily, THAT is in a yummy syrup so they usually don't fuss too much.

threenigma
03-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Regarding the pain...most of the time, the pressure of the expanding pus is much more painful than having it lanced, and it is more of a relief than anything. That is why I specified a brand new pointy x-acto blade (any hardware store will have these, BTW). I can tell you from bitter past experience, since I am both an artist and clumsy, that a new x-acto will cut you and you don't know it until you see the blood. It isn't like being poked with a needle.

You can give him infant ibuprophen to deal with any lingering pain if he is showing signs he hurts - pick up a bottle when you are out buying the Betadyne. My bet is that it will feel lots better once the pressure and infection are out. BTW, the DILUTED iodine - the 1/4 cup/20 drops - will not hurt or burn in any way.

Let us know if you get the infant ibuprophen - make sure it is ibuprophen - and we will dose that for you. Happily, THAT is in a yummy syrup so they usually don't fuss too much.

Thank you for your response.

I don't have infant ibuprophen, but I do have ibuprophen tablets. I'm very comfortable dosing chemicals, as I have a background in chemistry. All I need is dosage per weight and I can make the appropriate solution. I also always verify the LD-50 (lethal dose for 50% of the species) and act accordingly to eliminate the risk of overdosage.

I'm heading out to get some small cutting blades, as my normal sized exacto blades look like they take the whole leg with them. :)

threenigma
03-05-2018, 10:54 AM
These are the probiotics I use.
You can use any capsule that has the powder.
The taste is benign and they take it well.
Just pull the capsule apart and add about the size of a capital O
to something he will eat or drink.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JC2tFpw/0/5652151c/O/i-JC2tFpw.jpg

I will feed it yogurt throughout to the day for probiotics.