PDA

View Full Version : 3 week old emaciated Lethargic baby squirrel

Mitosha Carvalho
03-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone
I'm Mitosha from Goa, India. And I really need help here.
I found an orphaned Indian palm squirrel probably around 2-3 weeks(she has gotten her teeth).
For about a week she was taking feeds well, diluted cow's milk, 3 hourly. We feed her with a syringe, keeping her upright while feeding.
Everything was fine until yesterday when she has been gasping after every 2 drops (stretching her front limbs and arching her head and neck backwards, with her mouth wide open, as if trying to get some air) but she'd still eating well between episodes. We started feeding her even more slowly to avoid it happening.

Today she was very drowsy ,lethargic and emaciated. Also I can here some clicking sound not sure if it's coming from her nose. She has probably aspirated.
Can anyone please give me some suggestions on how to revive her.

Spanky
03-01-2018, 02:54 PM
You will need some antibiotics... if you can find some (Cipro, Baytril, Amoxicillin, etc.) and provide her weight we can help dose. All these symptoms are indicative of Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). She will need the medicine quickly.

If you find some antibiotics, tell us what kind you found and we'll need to know how much she weighs to provide the proper dosing instructions.

Edit: You can ask family and friends if they have any antibiotics, just a single pill will be enough to provide her a full course of treatment.

Spanky
03-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Cow's milk is not great for baby squirrels... goat's milk is better. Better yet is Esbilac puppy formula (the powdered version, not the liquid) or Royale Canin puppy formula. If you cannot find those, here is a goat's milk formula:

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream
1 part vanilla yogurt

Mitosha Carvalho
03-01-2018, 03:59 PM
You will need some antibiotics... if you can find some (Cipro, Baytril, Amoxicillin, etc.) and provide her weight we can help dose. All these symptoms are indicative of Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). She will need the medicine quickly.

If you find some antibiotics, tell us what kind you found and we'll need to know how much she weighs to provide the proper dosing instructions.

Edit: You can ask family and friends if they have any antibiotics, just a single pill will be enough to provide her a full course of treatment.

I have enrofloxacin, will that help? And, the baby is 10 grams

Mitosha Carvalho
03-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Cow's milk is not great for baby squirrels... goat's milk is better. Better yet is Esbilac puppy formula (the powdered version, not the liquid) or Royale Canin puppy formula. If you cannot find those, here is a goat's milk formula:

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream
1 part vanilla yogurt

Thank you for the advice. I will look for the puppy formula first thing in the morning (3am right now and I live in a village) Or I'll get to preparing the goat milk formula.
Is it ok, to also give ORS to the baby currently?

Nancy in New York
03-01-2018, 04:40 PM
I have enrofloxacin, will that help? And, the baby is 10 grams

This squirrel is 3 weeks old, has teeth and only weighs 10 grams?
Are her eyes open?
Can you post a picture?
What strength enrofloxacin do you have?
Do you have a 1 ml syringe?

Mitosha Carvalho
03-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Are her eyes open?
Can you post a picture?

I'm guessing the age by the fact that she has teeth..I dont know the exact age since she's an orphan Im trying to save. I've had her for 10 days now.
She's pink and tiny, about the size of my index finger ( tail excluded) her eyes are still closed.
She's an Indian palm squirrel ( average weight of an adult being 100-130gms)
I wish I could upload a picture, but I seem to be having some difficulty here.
I have enrofloxacin tablets of 50mg each.
And yes, I have a pipette measuring 0.25ml, 0.5ml, 1ml

Mitosha Carvalho
03-02-2018, 12:10 AM
Are her eyes open?
Can you post a picture?

Spanky
03-02-2018, 03:09 AM
Sent dosing in a PM (Private Message)

Mel1959
03-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Offer some water sweetened with a drop of honey (or sugar) in between feedings. Go slow. If she’s dehydrated she won’t eat as well. She sure is cute. :Love_Icon. Sending prayers she recovers soon. :hug

Mitosha Carvalho
03-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Offer some water sweetened with a drop of honey (or sugar) in between feedings. Go slow. If she’s dehydrated she won’t eat as well. She sure is cute. :Love_Icon. Sending prayers she recovers soon. :hug

Yes, I did start with oral rehydration therapy or pedialyte as they call it. I used sugar though.. My older squirrel doesn't tolerate honey, so I don't want to risk it with her. I've started feeds and antibiotic now fearing aspiration pneumonia. She seems to be improving. Thanks a lot for the much needed prayers :)